• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Getting by without dressing at work

Emily michelle

I’m a heavy equipment mechanic for a living and I’m wondering how I can go about making my self feel better since I can’t dress at my job and will always have to wear a uniform. I have noticed as the week goes on I get increasingly bothered by not being able to express any femininity in my dress even it is androgynous because I’m not out to my work and besides I don’t think that I will be accepted there after I come out but that is another topic. Any advice would be appreciated.

I worked as a maintenance equipment technician inside various manufacturing plants over a 30 year period.  I had to deal with uniforms as well and other then wearing bras and panties. Maybe the occasional panty hose or painting your toe nails there was nothing I could do to look or feel more feminine either.  It’s quite hard when your not out and afraid to be clocked.  Until your out and can express your femininity outwardly there is not much else to do. 

• Forum Moderator

I agree with Shawna. Underdressing is one thing that comes to mind as well. There are many items you can wear under your work uniform to feel feminine. Painting your toe nails even a toe ring.

Kymmie

I have already been wearing bras and panties under my work clothes for a while now. The painting my toes I absolutely love even though I’m not good at it at all haha. I never thought of a toe ring, but then I never knew they existed