• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Ideal Weight?

Guest Virginia_

Guest nymphblossom

I found this weight chart and was wondering what you all thought:

(Female)

Height Ideal Weight

4’ 6” 63 - 77 lbs.

4’ 7” 68 - 83 lbs.

4’ 8” 72 - 88 lbs.

4’ 9” 77 - 94 lbs.

4’ 10” 81 - 99 lbs.

4’ 11” 86 - 105 lbs.

5’ 0” 90 - 110 lbs.

5’ 1” 95 - 116 lbs.

5’ 2” 99 - 121 lbs.

5’ 3” 104 - 127 lbs.

5’ 4” 108 - 132 lbs.

5’ 5” 113 - 138 lbs.

5’ 6” 117 - 143 lbs.

5’ 7” 122 - 149 lbs.

5’ 8” 126 - 154 lbs.

5’ 9” 131 - 160 lbs.

5’ 10” 135 - 165 lbs.

5’ 11” 140 - 171 lbs.

6’ 0” 144 - 176 lbs.

6’ 1” 149 - 182 lbs.

6’ 2” 153 - 187 lbs.

6’ 3” 158 - 193 lbs.

6’ 4” 162 - 198 lbs.

6’ 5” 167 - 204 lbs.

6’ 6” 171 - 209 lbs.

6’ 7” 176 - 215 lbs.

6’ 8” 180 - 220 lbs.

6’ 9” 185 - 226 lbs.

6’ 10” 189 - 231 lbs.

6’ 11” 194 - 237 lbs.

Source: http://www.rush.edu/rumc/page-1108048103230.html

It does allow a little leeway with a body mass index at the bottom.

I'm 5' 11" and just a shag under 160 pounds with nothing on but a smile and I haven't even started hormones yet Am I too fat?

:(

Blossom

You're not too fat. It depends on your build, skeleton, and how much of your weight is fat vs muscle.

I'm 5'4"-5'5" and my weight seems to keep going back and forth between 95 and 105lbs. But I have pretty much NO muscle, I'm short (genetic), and I've always been the skinniest person in my family mostly due to extreme metabolism.

Also, this is speculation, but... I'd think it's good to have some fat on your body for MtF... Hormones relocate fat, so you want to have some fat to relocate!

No you are not fat, not even overweight if you have medium or large bone structure - with a small bone structure you could seem on the chart as a little heavy, but in truth you need to have some fat on you or when you start on hormones you will have a redistribution of what?

Seriously those charts have been going down in weight for a long time and I know when I felt my best - it was 15 pounds heavier than the listed weight on thet chart.

I have a small build, very small but sturdy bones and I felt at my best 3 pounds heavier than the upper (large bone) weight listed.

You have to go by how you feel and how you look, with the main attention on how you feel.

love ya,

Sally

Guest CharlieRose

I think that chart is way too restrictive. If you go by BMI (Body Mass Index), those numbers are way off. (Especially the first one! A BMI of 15.2 is not ideal!)

BMI is weight divided by height-squared (multiplied by itself) and then multiplied by 703. (That's in pounds and inches, by the way)

<16 is very underweight

16-18.5 is underweight

18.5-25 is normal

25-30 is overweight

30-40 is obese

>40 is morbidly obese

So, for someone 5'11", your ideal weight would actually be about 135-180 pounds. So looks like you're in the clear.

BMI isn't exact, though. People may have more or less muscles, bones and fat, which can influence your weight quite a bit. But it works as a general guideline.

Guest OneOutOfnOne

Charts like that one annoy me a great deal. No one should have to answer to anyone else's expectations of what their weight should be. Bodies come in all sizes and this is a beautiful thing.

Guest Cody_T

Don't use that chart, go by your BMI. Although it's not perfect, it's a much better approximation than a random chart.

I read once that women believe they look their best at 20-22 and men at 23-25.

You're 22ish so really you're just where you want to be.

Yeah, I just did my BMI and I have moved out of morbidly obese in to the mid range of obese and I started with a BMI of 42.18 so 35.1 is pretty good and going the right direction.

Pretty soon my scales will be able to do the calculations - right now it just says, "Error" or "one of you has to get off."

Love ya,

Slowly Slimming Sally

BMI isn't exact, though. People may have more or less muscles, bones and fat, which can influence your weight quite a bit. But it works as a general guideline.

Just about to say BMI was pretty useless. The best way is a body fat calculator, which finds out the percentage of body fat you have.

They got a chart here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_perc...Recommendations

Anyway, even a skinny person can technically be obese. I once knew a girl from my health class who only weighed around 90-95lbs, but had like 37% body fat.

The comparison of BMIs can be very helpful in weight loss as it is unlikely that you lose a lot of bone or muscle mass just by cutting back on your food intake.

So the loss is almost completely fat.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest nymphblossom

I knew I came to the right place to ask!

Wow, you all really have this body mass stuff down. Thank you so much for the input. I was worried about putting on weight when I start hormones, but never thought about the fact that there needs to be some fat to move around. OK, I'll make the sacrifice if it's going to help my bum and hips- hand me another one of those chocolate chip cookies (better make that 2 :)

Blossom

Guest Sophie H

I'm not a fan of this whole ideal weight thing, I say aslong as you are fit and healthy then don't worry yourself over this.

Guest CharlieRose
Just about to say BMI was pretty useless. The best way is a body fat calculator, which finds out the percentage of body fat you have.

They got a chart here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_perc...Recommendations

Yeah, true, finding out your percent body fat is the best, but you can't use a quick calculator for it. Doesn't that have to be tested by a doctor? On the other hand BMI is good for quick and convenient approximation.

And, yeah, Sophie, I kind of agree with you, too. Some people are just naturally heavier, and culturally we've got weird ideas of what "fat" is. If you're eating well and exercising you shouldn't worry about your weight; it's where you're meant to be.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Luna M

The chart is useless; it doesn't account for different body types and postures. I am 5'2" and I weigh 110lbs, and I still have a tiny tiny bit of tummy! According to that chart, I should weigh a lot more. But I know someone at work who is my same height, different build, she is 130lbs and she looks thinner than I do (she's broader shouldered).

Ideal weight is the weight at which you are healthiest and getting all the vitamins and nutrients you need. It is better to be on the hefty side and getting all the nutrition you need than to be skinny and suffering from deficiencies. Those deficiencies will kill you faster than two or three pounds!

Grrr, I've always been the fat kid. >.>

Though 6-8 grade I was only called fat twice, next to like 10 times a day when I was 10.

My BMI is 26.9

>:o

Guest Christy.dancer

I'm 5'6" and 117 pounds, which i think is w-a-a-a-aa-y skinny. My therapist says on HRT I'll prolly gain some weight (boobs & butt, I hope)

Guest Elizabeth K

Bogus!

My Doctor told me 6'2" and 198. It took me years to get to that, went down to 194. My Doctor then told me I looked too gaunt and to put on about 10 pounds. According to the above chart? 153 to 187 pounds? IMPOSSIBLE. I am medium boned - and I do fine at 198 - 200 now - and the hormones make you retain water so I can weigh 2 pounds more at night than in the morning!.

And redistribution of weight on HRT - does not happen. Your male weight will stay. Your new weight gain will be put in a new place, So lose weight BEFORE HRT. I believed in this and it worked for me. Two of my post op friends clued me into that.

Hope this helps

LizzyAnne

• 1 month later...
Guest Thorndrop

You're not too fat. If you haven't started the hormones, you'd be bigger anyway I'd guess since you were born male so men are naturally heavier.

Myself, on the other hand..

I found this weight chart and was wondering what you all thought:

(Female)

Height Ideal Weight

5’ 5” 113 - 138 lbs.

Source: http://www.rush.edu/rumc/page-1108048103230.html

Blossom[/color]

I'm 5'5", biologically female and weigh 100-ish lbs and have never felt better. Technically, yes, I'm underweight, but I hate the concept of 'you should be this weight' because everyone has a different build and everyone feels their best at different sizes. I used to be a lot heavier, but I made myself this thin to make my chest less obvious as part of my androgyny, and it's worked, so I couldn't care less what charts say as I feel healthy and like how I look a lot more now than I ever did at a 'normal' weight.

Guest joeytheman16

Those charts are for the "normal people". If someone has very little muscle it is going to be wrong and say they are under weight. And at the same time if someone is like me, I have a lot of muscle for by build the chart says I am over weight.

The only true way to find out if you are "fat" or not is to find out your body fat percentage. I think they can do that at most gyms or even at the doctor's office.

Joey

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SaraNetherlands

BMI never is truly reliable, that chart even less. Because of my physical disability I often have to train and keep my arms and back strong. That brings a bunch of muscles along. Muscles weight more than fat and thus my BMI will always stay tricky.

Also, condition does not have to be bad if you're overweight. While weight makes movement and condition more difficult to maintain, it's a stereotype to say that overweight people have bad condition.

All in all the ideal weight differs for everyone. I have a female friend from germany who has a typical 'germanic' body (large breasts, broad hips, wide shoulders but a beautiful thin waste). Her weight is obviously more than that of a petite girl, but she is not overweight with that body shape.

For me the true test about having a proper weight is:

* Do I feel sexy with my current weight?

* Does a reliable sports/fitness instructor measure that my condition is par or above par?

* Does my weight not limit my movement? (a bigger problem for someone in a wheelchair)

• 2 months later...

Wow! I'm 5'6" and for me to make 143 would be extremely difficult if not impossible.

I'd look like I just walked out of a concentration camp.

Surprisingly enough, I'm pretty happy with my current 176.

I've rilly made progress in terms of comin' to peace with some of that.

I was bein' kinda hard on myself there for a bit but anymore I don't mind bein' a little meaty.

Considering I've come down from 217 in Aug I think I've done some damage, if I do say so myself.

Guest Joanna Phipps

WOW 6'2 and 187 lb not for this gal, My counselor and GP would probably have me done as anorexic (which might be what it takes to get that low) in a younger year I weightd 190 to 200 but now Im heavier than that. I want this excess off me before I consider surgery, however that is nearly 1.5 years from now.

Guest Elizabeth K

I see this topic is back. I liked it when it first came out - still valid.

BUT

I finally figured out my ideal weight as a female - seven pounds, seven ounces - BORN a girl!

hee hee

Lizzy

Yeah, I just did my BMI and I have moved out of morbidly obese in to the mid range of obese and I started with a BMI of 42.18 so 35.1 is pretty good and going the right direction.

Pretty soon my scales will be able to do the calculations - right now it just says, "Error" or "one of you has to get off."

Love ya,

Slowly Slimming Sally

Sally..... Do what I do....I have two sets of Bathroom Scales..... One foot on each set.... And add the two numbers.... LOL well it wirks for me

Tiff

I see this topic is back. I liked it when it first came out - still valid.

BUT

I finally figured out my ideal weight as a female - seven pounds, seven ounces - BORN a girl!

hee hee

Lizzy

"I'll have what She's Having " (Quote from when harry met Sally)

If only life came with a remote control.... I am looking for the rewind button

Regards, tiff X