• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Walking

KathyLauren

• Forum Moderator

How long before you could walk for exercise?

I can get around the house and yard okay (at 8 weeks), but a few times I have done a 1 km walk, and I mostly swell up like crazy afterwards.  The swelling presses on all the tender bits and hurts.  Clearly, my body is telling me it's too soon, but I haven't had any exercise in over two months, and I'm getting fat.  I look like I have three boobs, and the lower one is bigger than the real boobs!

I never thought I'd say this, but I miss walking the dog.  The surgeon's guidelines say I should be starting to resume exercise about now, but that's hard to do if I blow up like a balloon.

Thanks for any comments.

Kathy

• Forum Moderator

About eight weeks? About the same time I could sit normally. Now I can do three miles at a stretch and the only thing that bothers me is an old back injury from the way I swing my hips.

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator
39 minutes ago, Jackie C. said:

About eight weeks? About the same time I could sit normally. Now I can do three miles at a stretch and the only thing that bothers me is an old back injury from the way I swing my hips.

Hugs!

Thanks, Jackie!  You had your surgery, what, about six weeks ahead of me?  But if you were walking at eight weeks, then I am slower to recover.  So I have a way to go yet. :(

• Forum Moderator

February 4th. I was able to do most of my exercise routine at 8 weeks, though I was still a little tender. I was in pretty good shape... well, decent shape... (I have a friend who is an absolute tank, so I might be selling myself short) before I went in though.

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

Kathy I wouldn't think that you should still be swelling or swollen at this point.  Please contact your doctor.

• Admin

I agree it is a phone call to the doctor time.  You may want to keep a record of what you have been eating and drinking, and it may point to your being on new meds, so be ready there.  Do call or see a doctor.

• Forum Moderator

Thanks, ladies.

The swelling went down within 24 hours, so I’m inclined to think that it was just a reaction to the unaccustomed exercise.  

Over the next week, I want to get out walking a bit more.  I’ll keep an eye on it, and if I don’t see an improvement, I’ll make an appointment with my local doctor.

Kathy

• Admin
1 hour ago, KathyLauren said:

I’ll make an appointment with my local doctor.

I did get told by Dr. Bowers that while I was on unrestricted physical action, to very carefully listen to my body while I was healing and it would tell me when I overdid things.  I had read the thread pretty fast and did not realize this was the first time of "pushing it" exercise you had had.

I am curious, what is it like to have the surgery finally completed with the vagina, labia, clitoris?  In the whole process of HRT and now surgery, if you were attracted to women before, has your attractions shifted toward men or still women?  Thank you in advance.

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, maddyfuem said:

I am curious, what is it like to have the surgery finally completed with the vagina, labia, clitoris?  In the whole process of HRT and now surgery, if you were attracted to women before, has your attractions shifted toward men or still women?  Thank you in advance.

I had the "lite" version of the surgery - "zero depth" or "without cavity" - so I have no vagina.   I have all the other parts, though.  I am still getting used to what is where.  The sensations mostly register as though I still had my old parts, which is weird as heck.  I have figured out most of them, but I still have to do the translation consciously.  Eventually, I will get used to the new normal.  At this point, my awareness is very much in transition.

I was always attracted to women, never to men, and that has not changed.  I knew ahead of time that it would not change, which is one reason I opted for the zero-depth procedure.  Being attracted only to women is one reason my marriage has survived.  That, and being married to a saint of a woman.