• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Mariposa

I saw an instagram ad for Mariposa,  www.getmariposa.com and was wondering if anyone had any insight about it. They offer HRT services online for $99/month, and I think it may be an option for me.

• Forum Moderator

Mostly I think, "Woah, that's expensive." I pay $20 a month for mine. FYI my insurance is hot garbage.

Hugs!

To me it sounds like a money making scam as there are tons of them out there. You shouldn't have to set up a membership for services in transitioning. My advice is the same for any of the people on here and that is to get yourself a therapist that takes insurance and can set you up with the referal letters to go see a doctor for HRT. I took a quick peek at the site you mentioned and you would more than likely be out more money with that and possibly a bit more disappointed.

• Admin

It is a "script mill" which is legally OK but despite what it says, you are paying probably $250 per month by the time you really calculate the costs.  As it says prescription costs are not covered, and they are truthful in saying each prescription can be $50+ and times that by hormones and blockers, and it mounts up.  You will also have to figure in Urgent Care in case you are having problem due to the meds.  I am not saying don't go there, but unless you have other health coverage it becomes riskier.  They do work off of informed consent rules which again are OK if you really can give the consent which pre-18 folks cannot.  Consider your potential cost as being $3000 per year for this and costs of other coverage you may need.  

I did go to the site myself to look at it and dug a little bit for more info.  It is not on the site's list of medical providers which you might want to check out as well.

I never said I wanted to use them myself. I was warning of using such for a way to get HRT. I am working with a psychologist to get on mine. I think that is the better way. I had my first session this past Monday and with a little hope I can get my referral to a doctor to get on HRT. And on top of looking into the site It could be putting on a little "window dressing" to make it look legit. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Mia Marie said:

I never said I wanted to use them myself

You did not, I am sorry if that was the impression you got from my post.  I meant to be backing you up on what you had said, but was replying to the OP directly a little differently too.

Far be it from me to say anything either way but from an outsiders point of view namely mine. Who could not use the services they provide even if it was my last hope. I would say very few words going by the site.

That's scary.

Can they really do that over there? Im sure there must be a Moral/Ethical issue there somewhere.

Thats even before I got down to the FAQ,s

Its like lighting the blue touch paper then standing well back. Not knowing whats going to happen next.

So if you were that desperate and chuck all caution away you could basically lie to them and just get a prescibtion for that medication?

Is there not even  need for confirmation from a doctor face to face to ensure you are fit enough to be approved you for hormones? Basic stuff. Like BP, Blood works etc?

Thanks for the input everyone. I won't be using this service. I have an appointment with an endo in July but didn't want to wait so long, hence my interest in Mariposa. But, I made an appointment at planned parenthood for next Friday! I really didn't think this would be happening this soon, and I'm so excited. My parents and I do video counseling on Fridays at that same time, so I emailed our therapist and asked if he would tell them he needs to reschedule for another reason. Hopefully he comes through.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 93 Guests (See full list)

• VickySGV
    • RaineOnYourParade
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • Jet McCartney
    • Ivy