• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Research into Covid-19 and and Male/Female populous

Maid In Bedlam

A very interesting article regarding Estrogen and its effects on the bodie when infected with the virus.

The presented work summarizes the results of studies underlining the crucial role of estrogen receptor (ER) signaling in both innate and adaptive immune responses as well as in tissue repairing processes during respiratory virus infection. Experimental studies justify that among respiratory virus infected mice, a weaker ER signaling leads to increased morbidity and mortality in both males and females. In animal experiments, estrogen treatment silences the inflammatory reactions and decreases virus titers leading to improved survival rate; it seems to be an ideal prevention and therapy against COVID-19. We should overcome the widespread reluctance to estrogen therapy as we have a unique estrogen formula; conjugated estrogens, or conjugated equine estrogens available under the brand name of Premarin deriving from natural sources. Premarin can exert similar ER upregulative and gene repairing power like endogenous estrogen without any risk for adverse reactions. Premarin is capable of stopping the COVID-19 pandemic.

So estrogen will. (according to this article) help you. Also if its to be taken as proof will lessen the effects should you get this nasty virus.

There has been this question for a while. Why does it effect men more profoundly than women?

Article here

I will assume that maybe some on this forum would volenteer should there be trials?

• Forum Moderator

About time. Take THAT patriarchy. ?

Seriously though, that's really interesting. Thanks for sharing Maid!

Hugs!

Another test that I just read:

LONDON, May 11 (Reuters) - Men's blood has higher levels than women's of a key enzyme used by the new coronavirus to infect cells, the results of a big European study showed on Monday -- a finding which may help explain why men are more vulnerable to infection with COVID-19.

Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) is found in the heart, kidneys and other organs. In COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the novel coronavirus, it is thought to play a role in how the infection progresses into the lungs.

link: https://news.trust.org/item/20200510222331-y953v

1 hour ago, Oh_Kay said:

Another test that I just read:

Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) is found in the heart, kidneys and other organs.

This was a big thing a while back. Ace2 inhibitors were considered to be a contributing factor to your risk of catching the virus.

• It has been hypothesized (suggested) by some experts that ACE inhibitors could make COVID-19 worse. But because COVID-19 is a new disease, we do not know if they actually do.
  • ACE inhibitors reportedly increase levels of ACE-2 which is the protein that the SARs-CoV-2 virus binds to, and long-term use may also suppress the immune response.
  • However, an overactive renin-angiotensin system may be another reason people with high blood pressure are more likely to develop pulmonary complications from COVID-19.
  • There is currently no evidence that ACE inhibitors do make COVID-19 worse. But it is something that needs to be investigated further, to help guide practice during this current COVID-19 pandemic and for any new coronaviruses in the future that use ACE-2 as an entry point as well.
  • Do not stop taking your ACE inhibitor because this may increase your chance of having a heart attack or stroke. If you have any concerns, talk to your doctor.

I have heard that it does and heard it doesnt or theres no evidence either way. So the jury is still out on that one i think. Considering 99% of health organisations are putting in100% on this you would think they would have come up with something factual by now?

As many people take ACE ihibitors for as said early High blood pressure, heart diesese. and such like. Its my belief and im no Doctor that those who present with covid-19 symptoms who are on these drugs are over sixty or have a health condition. Therefore they are by there nature more inclined to be at risk from the virus. But as i said im no Expert or Doctor it is just a theory.

However the original post does have substantial evidence concluded by looking into the amount of fatalitys of men as opposed to women

One thing I do see mounting evidence for is  Vitamin D and its effects on making you less inclined to have serious symptoms

I also read an earlier study on females vs. males. It also seemed like post menopausal women were more protected than men. That suggested that it wasn't all estrogen, although estrogen seems protective. I also read an article that men being treated for prostate cancer by having their testosterone shut off were protected. All food for thought. I do agree, you would think we would have some solid answers by now.

I saw this rant some triggered conspiracy theorist man went on about how this is proof that the shadow government is using covid-19 to feminize men on a massive scale. Lol...

~Toni

1 hour ago, ToniTone said:

I saw this rant some triggered conspiracy theorist man went on about how this is proof that the shadow government is using covid-19 to feminize men on a massive scale. Lol...

~Toni

I say good! Men need to get in touch with their feelings and stop acting like cave men! All that testosterone has them emotionally stuck at about 13 years old!

Ha! Yeah, that stuff's poison! 

No offense transmascs... love u! 

2 hours ago, Oh_Kay said:

I say good! Men need to get in touch with their feelings and stop acting like cave men! All that testosterone has them emotionally stuck at about 13 years old!

... ?I wouldn't say it's just the hormones. Society and its presistent casual mental and physical abuse, is far more sick then it cares to admit. Please don't refer to all men are "like cave men." Might be hard to believe but there are decent men and I won't call them like cave men. Men should be allowed to display their feelings so they don't become an emotion rage bomb, cuz feelings are important.

1 hour ago, ToniTone said:

It's a natural chemical Testosterone, too much of anything can be poisonous. Oxygen, water, estrogen can all be poisonous, reasons why proper health education and a good doctor are a good thing to have.

I guess that I opened a can of worms with my statements. Sorry if I offended anyone. The men in my family behaved very poorly and that is where my comment came from.

3 hours ago, ToniTone said:

~Toni

?

33 minutes ago, Oh_Kay said:

I guess that I opened a can of worms with my statements. Sorry if I offended anyone. The men in my family behaved very poorly and that is where my comment came from.

I'm sorry you were stuck with that?. Men in my family aren't exactly stellar representatives, though my grandpa can be a ?? if not watched. Sadly, you can choose many things except la famiglia. But good thing I don't have to be like any of them, and not everyone is like them.

3 hours ago, Suzanne1 said:

Yes, my spouse ran across a study the other day.  Post-mortems on all the Doomsday-Cold fatalities at one location revealed sub-normal levels of vitamin D

Bingo.

Our nutritionist proscribed 5000 IU of Vitamin D + 200 mcg selenium.  We had an easy-ish time of it (COVID-19)

Vitamin D, selenium, Zinc + your multi, rest, take care of yourself, mild exercise, fresh greens, you know the drill.

COVID 19 is kind of a beast though.  Even though I had an "easy" time of it, it lasted 6 weeks and I lost 10 pounds without even realizing it.  I met a shop-keeper I know down at the bike path.  He said he lost 20 pounds.

My partner had a rougher time.  Sometimes I think our mild walks every day saved her.  There's something about getting the fluids moving.  She's post meno-pausal and I'm post manopausal. 

I've got to tell our story about trying to get tested. 

This was  March 21st in Westchester NY.  She was checked in to the NYS hotline and was scheduled for testing at New Rochelle.  The test site was a park which is a peninsula into the LI sound.  She had an appointment for 8:30 PM on Saturday evening.

We get masks on, gloves, drive over.  She has a creepy picture of us in the dark with lights shining into the car with us in masks.  We get there at 8:30.   It's dark.  There are no cars.  We drive up to a barrier with two police cars on the other side, facing us, headlights on, flashers on.  Nobody else there.  We pull up near the barrier.  It's like a scene from Left 4 Dead 2.  I expect a horde of zombies to come from all directions and a boomer to spit green goo on us.   Cop loudspeaker: "Turn around, drive away."  I say "We have an appointment at 8:30".  "They all went home.  There's nobody here".

It turns out that the test site had run out of PPE and test materials  We found out the next day that they had just run out, so why stick around?  Perfectly reasonable.

My partner called her doctor.  Doctor said, "You can't get tested.  I can't get tested.  Here's what you do.  If your fever goes up to 103 deg. F., you call 911.  If you are experiencing shortness of breath to the point where [it is bad], you call 911.  That's it.  That's all we can do for you."  We all know that going to a hospital and getting put on a ventilator is a 50/50 death sentence.

A doctor friend self diagnosed as having COVID-19.  She tested negative twice.  So the tests at the time had a very high rate of false negatives.  I've heard 25%.  I can tell you as an engineer that a false negative rate of more than 5% makes the tests useless for society to take appropriate action on.  It would be nice to have a functioning government, but the stupid people who delight in being stupid are in control for now, so we get to tough it out alone.

Get your vitamin D.  I'm pretty sure we should lay in a year's supply because more people will hear about this and I'm afraid the supply will get short before next winter.

Sincerely,

Grace.

On 5/11/2020 at 4:19 PM, ToniTone said:

On 5/11/2020 at 5:09 PM, Mx.Drago said:

It's a natural chemical Testosterone, too much of anything can be poisonous. Oxygen, water, estrogen can all be poisonous, reasons why proper health education and a good doctor are a good thing to have.

I know this. I was being facetious. I think us trans women joke about testosterone being toxic alot because we've been being "poisoned" by it all our lives. 

But it kind of is poisonous in a sense. Excessive dihydrotestosterone production, which has more efficacy at the androgen receptors, is linked to increased incidence of hair loss, prostate cancer, heart disease and clinically recognized aggression. 

~Toni

On 5/17/2020 at 11:19 PM, ToniTone said:

I think us trans women joke about testosterone being toxic alot because we've been being "poisoned" by it all our lives. 

That's exactly how I feel about it.  I've been thinking about male egoism as being a result of it too.  It ties in with "winning", possessing, being king of the hill.  I feel like I was imprisoned by my natural T and it has declined naturally to the point where it finally let me go.  I'm not a trans girl, I'm non-binary, but there are pieces of what I was which I really hate.  Now I'm free of those things and I like myself so much better.  I found a definition of dysphoria which includes me:

From Brynnn Tannehill:

Q: What does it mean to be transgender?
A: The term transgender describes individuals whose inherent
sense of their own gender doesn't match the sex they were
assigned at birth. Many transgender individuals have
experienced some degree of gender dysphoria, which is an
intense and persistent sense of distress or discomfort with
their birth sex.

For me it's not so much my external body, but the things in my personality which seemed to be dictated by T, which in turn was dictated by my physical sex.  I am more feminine (mentally) day by day and so happy about it.

Grace.