• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

purse pack-a-punch!

The Viv Element

56 minutes ago, ShawnaLeigh said:

Its more of a right to do so then a need.

Without saying to much I don't need a gun to protect myself with the training I've had in the military   I just prefer to.

Just having the laser grip dot illuminated on someone is a huge deterrent trust me.  

"OMG those awful guns!! ? I carried a purse for a very short time and finally just opted for a very thin, flat wallet in my right rear pocket with my driver's license and debit card only. Times are different now, civility is practically non-existant as people who are perceived as odd often times come under physical attack by bullies and haters. I carry a .380 auto on my hip 365 now and also insurance in the event I ever have to use it in self defense. For me it is a prudent thing to do and legal as I have a CWP. I'm not willing to be one of the many GLBT victims names on the memorial roster that is read every year. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mx.Drago

• The Viv Element

• Mmindy

• Jackie C.

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, ShawnaLeigh said:

Hey a girl needs protection too!!!  LOL

Ok I stopped carrying this 100% of the time to work since they are not allowed in the hospital facilities.

But it may be in my car. 

(I'm not telling.)

Hey there Shawna,

I love that you may or may not be Carrying. One of the top locations for stolen weapons is from vehicles. Always carry your piece into the home at night, and when leaving the vehicle at a restricted building. Discretely place it in the more secure trunk area. SUV-Crossovers may want to install a quick conceal lock box in the console area. I did this for my F-250 and Explorer.

Carry safe, Carry often,

Mindy???

• Forum Moderator
35 minutes ago, NB Adult said:

For me it is a prudent thing to do and legal as I have a CWP. I'm not willing to be one of the many GLBT victims names on the memorial roster that is read every year. 

NB Adult,

Right off the bat, I want to say that I love your posts. When I turned 55, I took several self defense classes and acquired my CCW never looking back. (except to check my six) My wife who has know me to never back down from a challenge was upset and surprised that I thought all of a sudden I needed lethal force capabilities, because I've been a self defense cane carrying individual for years. My response was to point out that I could no longer stand firm or fight like I use to. Running has never been an option for me. When we married 44 years ago next month, my wife knew about my firearms, and was okay with it but never wanted to know anything about them. In 1979 our first child was born, she asked me to sell my small arms. My reaction was one of love and acceptance of her opinion. NOT! I took her to the range and paid for her to attend firearms classes with the ladies group, they eased her concerns. She knows how to use and is proficient with all of our home self defense options and hide locations. 

Best wishes, stay positive, and safe.

Mindy???

I don't use a purse but sometimes a satchel (I think it is) and put 1 book, tissues, phone, ear set if it fits XD, wallet, and.. All drawing stuff like pencil and sketchbook and other stuff XD. But the best is still to keep, wallet and phone on the pocket, and headset around my neck XD

38 minutes ago, Mmindy said:

I took her to the range and paid for her to attend firearms classes with the ladies group, they eased her concerns. She knows how to use and is proficient with all of our home self defense options and hide locations. 

I did the same with my spouse,  she loved the classes and became quite proficient. Natal women generally have mich better hand-eye coordination for some reason and they do quite well in matches against their male counterparts.

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, NB Adult said:

hand-eye coordination

Practice, practice, practice

Role play the situations, practice, practice, practice.

She doesn't like the terms Drill or Train, so it's practice, practice, practice.

Your response action will be as you drill, and if you don't drill, you will loose.

I have a whole new perspective on Muhammad Ali's quote "Float like a?and sting like a?."

Mindy???

Oh my gosh, this topic went from purses to specific weapons.. HOW? this is why i like this forum lol.

So... today was the first day I took my purse out for grocery shopping and I've never felt so much happier in my entire life. I can't believe i was missing out on this for the last 24 years of my entire life. I was so prepared, need bank card? BANG, need the lip balm? BANG, shopping list? BANG, Need something unnecessary and totally unrelated? BANG. It was amazing lmao.

• Forum Moderator
46 minutes ago, The Viv Element said:

Need something unnecessary and totally unrelated? BANG. It was amazing lmao.

Good evening Viv,

You are so BANGING far ahead of me in the purses carrying community. I love your since of humor. I'm looking forward to carrying a bag so I can relocate my Every Day Carry (EDC) items. I don't wear a Bat?Belt, but my pockets and ankles all have something important to my safety and security. 

"You never know when you'll be the first responder." -TheSkinnyMedic

Mindy??? 

I don't have to carry a gun, I have a mean chihuahua. And he would fit in a good size purse!

• Root Admin

I liken a firearm to an American Express credit card. "Don't leave home without it"

58 minutes ago, Oh_Kay said:

I don't have to carry a gun, I have a mean chihuahua. And he would fit in a good size purse!

Paris H. is that you honey? ?  ?

2 hours ago, The Viv Element said:

Oh my gosh, this topic went from purses to specific weapons.. HOW? this is why i like this forum lol.

So... today was the first day I took my purse out for grocery shopping and I've never felt so much happier in my entire life. I can't believe i was missing out on this for the last 24 years of my entire life. I was so prepared, need bank card? BANG, need the lip balm? BANG, shopping list? BANG, Need something unnecessary and totally unrelated? BANG. It was amazing lmao.

Bang is right! ?and some have banged a few aggressive types over the head with a purse too! Didn't intend to hijack the thread sorry dear.

• Root Admin

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I never perceived the forum to be particularly friendly to that amendment in our Bill of Rights.  Quite surprising really.

We have no problem with discussions of means of self defense, be it martial arts, mace, stun gun or firearm. We do discourage discussions on makes of firearms, calibers and types of ammunition. ie. lethality Just so you all know.

MaryEllen

3 hours ago, Mmindy said:

I don't wear a Bat?Belt, but my pockets and ankles all have something important to my safety and security. 

You're still quite the badass! only difference is you're out in the daytime!

3 hours ago, Suzanne1 said:

I don't carry a firearm (at least when out & about), and don't plan on doing so.

Same, I don't carry one because I have an unrealistic hope that one day everyone will just drop their weapons and realize this world could be such a better place if we just all do the same. besides, i feel like if i have to live by carrying a weapon, then are we even in a civilized society? but unfortunately that isn't the case which is why I understand people needing to protect themselves regardless of how dangerous it might be. Because in this world, you just never know what could happen.

2 hours ago, NB Adult said:

Didn't intend to hijack the thread sorry dear.

Oh pish posh! it's totally fine i promise. i'm glad everyone is making something out of the thread, I'm actually enjoying this topic on guns... it shows we're not any different to the rest of the world :) 

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, The Viv Element said:

You're still quite the badass! only difference is you're out in the daytime!

Viv, I'm hardly the badass anymore. Age and a lifetime blue collar job has my knees and fingers to cracking and popping when I first start moving. My reduced agility puts me behind the curve even in the daylight. I embrace my age with self deprecating humor. Maturity is an opportunity denied many, so we might as well laugh along the way. Toby Keith sings my perfect anthem, "I'm not not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was." In real life I'm going to need a rest break. 

@MaryEllen covered it best with her American Express analogy.

40 years of responding to 911 calls taught me to care for others regardless of their station in life. I'm a very peaceful person, but I refuse to be a victim.

To stay close to your original theme. I spent a good part of my day searching the internet for over the shoulder style bags. I'm leaning toward a Soho Multi Pocket Bag in Southwestern styling and colors. 

Best wishes, stay positive, and safe

Mindy???

1 hour ago, Mmindy said:

40 years of responding to 911 calls

Wow, An 911 operator? That's one heck of a job! i might be over-exaggerating but I honestly think that might one of the hardest jobs around because you're picking up the phone and if its a serious call, then time is crucial and you have to stay calm & collective all while gathering as much information through the victims or passerby that made the call, hearing every detail about whats going on as well as noises in the background AND then reporting it to the officers/paramedics or firemen all at the same time. To me, that puts you in the category above badass, regardless of blue collar or not. It takes strength to have determination like that for 40 years. If i was in your position, i wouldn't have probably been able to handle it due to the pressure from multitasking while saving lives. If its alright with you, May I ask how often 911 calls come through to your station usually? Or is that information you can't share?

• Forum Moderator

Viv, the people who work the 911 dispatch systems are truly first responders and the mental anguish they have to deal with is heroic in my heart. I worked as a Firefighter and Heavy Rescue Technician out in the community. On my off duty days I worked for the Transportation Industry supervising railroad derailments or truck crashes. Now I'm self employed teaching Hazmat Response for chemical manufacturers and state agencies. I use to get paid for what I did, now I get paid for what I know. It's rewarding to be seen as the Old Salt in the room. I go back to my city Fire Department and many of young firefighters don't even know my picture is on the of retirees in the main hallway. You would think because I unlocked the door letting myself in, that I my be associated with the city. No, they just look at me and ask if I want my blood pressure taken. The rest of the crew members know me as Battalion Chief Moore's dad, or the Old Guy teaching at the Academy. Boy are the going to be shocked over the next few years as I move through transition carrying my Soho Multi Pocket Leather Bag. 

Embrace the future because you can't stop time.

Goodnight Viv sweet dreams,

Metamorphosis Mindy???a work in progress.

• Forum Moderator

PS Viv,

The City population is 42,000 and the run load last year 2019 was 3,650 calls. 

When I carry my purse it usually contains

wallet

sunglasses

spare mask

keys 

phone

lipstick

runes

rune book

hi-point c9 

pen

So Late to this party..

but her it goes

Wallet

sunscreen

Make-up bag

Knife

Bra and panties

cell-phone

• Forum Moderator

My bag contents vary dependant on where I am going but usually:

Purse containing money and cards

List of contact numbers and other temporary details

Tissues

Handkerchief

Pen and paper

Phone

Comb

Nail file

Hand Cream

Powder compact

Small tin containing Liquorice imps

and at the moment hand santizer but that is temprorary (hopefully).

18 hours ago, NB Adult said:

"OMG those awful guns!! ? I carried a purse for a very short time and finally just opted for a very thin, flat wallet in my right rear pocket with my driver's license and debit card only. Times are different now, civility is practically non-existant as people who are perceived as odd often times come under physical attack by bullies and haters. I carry a .380 auto on my hip 365 now and also insurance in the event I ever have to use it in self defense. For me it is a prudent thing to do and legal as I have a CWP. I'm not willing to be one of the many GLBT victims names on the memorial roster that is read every year. 

Yes I can carry legally in VT but I do not on my hip anymore.  Its destroys my curves.  LOL

I admit its not as quick a draw from inside a purse but like I mentioned.  Its not my only means of self defense

18 hours ago, Mmindy said:

Hey there Shawna,

I love that you may or may not be Carrying. One of the top locations for stolen weapons is from vehicles. Always carry your piece into the home at night, and when leaving the vehicle at a restricted building. Discretely place it in the more secure trunk area. SUV-Crossovers may want to install a quick conceal lock box in the console area. I did this for my F-250 and Explorer.

Carry safe, Carry often,

Mindy???

Yes and this a great point.  However I am very aware of this and take precautions as well.  I'm not going to give my gun away to be used in a crime that's for sure.  .

I apologize if my post took this threat off topic.  It was not my intension.  I was pointing out that some of us do carry for our own protection as well.

Just realized I forgot to add condoms, pills, and myl inhaler ...?

• Forum Moderator
3 hours ago, ShawnaLeigh said:

I apologize if my post took this threat off topic.

Shawna, this topic was interesting to me because I'm not yet carrying a purse, however I did spend my free time at work looking at purses on line. I'm grateful for all the items listed on here for my future bag, which I'm sure will become bags.

Mmindy???

The capital M is fore Metamorphosis.

4 hours ago, ShawnaLeigh said:

I apologize if my post took this threat off topic.  It was not my intension.  I was pointing out that some of us do carry for our own protection as well.

Don't apologize!!! I spoke about protection & I received the answers I wanted to hear, heck i even talked about bear mace, As long as the conversation stays in the category of self-defense, I don't care :)  I like hearing people talk about the level of safety they have to deal with on a daily basis because it shows alittle bit of what we might have to deal with someday, Though I don't live in the US & I would never carry a weapon or own one unless it was a single-shot/semi rifle of some sort for hunting... I don't have any judgement against people carrying or wanting to protect themselves ❤️ infact i admire everyone here who's has one because it's a big responsibility as well as learning how to aim, the possible scenarios & self defense is never something you should apologize for!! I learned alot from this conversation so thank you for bringing it up!!