• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Education Dept. Rules Trans Sports Inclusion Violates Other's Rights

Carolyn Marie

This is just another piece of absurdity from Betsy Devos.  She is truly a terrible person.

I knew this was coming.  As usual, I can see both sides of the debate.  I do fear the political influence and repercussions on the subject.  Personally, I have always focused on just fixing my own problems, not causing an uproar in our nations institutions.  There are other reasons that some people do/do not get to do certain things.  That's just life and I'm no better or deserving than some of the other misfortunate people.

“denied female student-athletes athletic benefits and opportunities, including advancing to the finals in events, higher level competitions, awards, medals, recognition, and the possibility of greater visibility to colleges and other benefits,”

Well, if the trans women are physically superior, then maybe that's true.  But I kind of doubt that.  I know plenty of women my age who are stronger than me.  As a child, my cousin, AFAB and an extreme tomboy and star athlete (who I suspect is trans but never came out), used to challenge me to foot races every time we were together.  She beat me every time.

But, if the trans girls really are physically superior, then maybe they should find a way to level the playing field.  Golf has women's tees. Why shouldn't the trans girls be allowed to achieve or be denied the same opportunities for award and recognition.  Are the trans boys getting the same opportunities on the traditional boys sports teams?  Do they complain that the cis boys are more advantaged?  I would think hormone therapy would help level the field.  But what if you're not taking hormones?

Lots of good arguments for both sides on this one so I will likely just observe the debate for now.  I just hope that a solution for all concerned can be found.  I doubt any solution will be perfect, but we must do the best we can.

Maybe some of the young gals/guys here want to chime in on this one?  I know we have school-aged soccer and wrestling enthusiasts, among others, here.  I would really like to hear what they think.

I don't typically try to get very involved with political disputes. In part to being fairly quiet and passive, and not really one to throw my opinion out to the public.

That said, like other have said. I can see arguments for both sides. Though I find myself leaning more toward this being an unfair ruling. Taking fairness out of the equation, it also can certain come off negatively for trans girls. It borders that line of saying 'You aren't really a girl".

From what I've looked into involving Minnesota, it's already state law that girls can play on boys teams. There are also policies to be inclusive of transgender people to play where they identify, similar to Connecticut. Hypothetically if the same ruling were to apply here. That would result in girls (and I would only infer trans boys) being able to play on boys' teams, and only trans girls truly being affected.

While I can also see the prospect of transgender competitions. I have several reservations with how that would operate. The transgender population is already a notable minority. Then you'd have to shrink that even further, since not every trans person fits within the right age bracket. Shrink it further, as not everyone pursues athletics. Then with that remaining population, where do you go from there. I'm not sure you could split it by gender, not saying it should be. Though if it is an "All transgender" competition regardless of physical sex and identified gender, then this competition would still possess some of the same issues. With one group being "advantaged" compared to others, even if the teams are mixed, how do you balance it without it having some potentially exclusionary guidelines.