• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

King Arthur

How Do You Get Your Name Changed?

King Arthur

I know I could just look this up on google, but I would rather get first-hand accounts from others on how to go about this. So, how do you get your name changed in California? Will you need to get a lawyer? What are all the obstacles in doing so? Can you do it as a minor? If so, how?

VickySGV

As another Californian,  my suggestion is to go to Transgender Law Center's website. 

https://transgenderlawcenter.org/

They have comments on the process written by their staff of lawyers, and have fillable legal forms you can download for starts.  If you are brave enough, you can fill out the forms on your own and take them to the court yourself, but if you have an LGBT Community Center near you, they have law student and lawyers who will help you do it for free.  I do have legal training and did it myself successfully but believe me I was an emotional wreck for part of the time.

Dana Michelle

I am also from California and I discussed some of the issues I had with name change on this thread:

My advice is: bring three copies of each form; bring change, cash, check book and credit card; bring envelopes.

Dana Michelle
1 hour ago, King Arthur said:

Can you do it as a minor? If so, how?

Yes, a minor can change their name. A minor has to fill out this form https://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc500.pdf. It requires either getting the parents' signatures or issuing a notice to allow the parents to object.

VickySGV

I missed the minor point there. Sorry.  If your parents are receptive it is no problem, but they are the petitioners for your name change.  If they are not receptive have it done through an attorney or LGBTQ center.  I have been a professional employee in the CA Law system and have seen the problems happen where you will need their help. 

Dana Michelle

The corrected URL is https://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc500.pdf. The period at the end of the sentence got included in the link so it produces an error.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 82 Guests (See full list)

• KymmieL
    • VickySGV
    • Abi
    • Tori M
    • Tim
    • lewlew
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Hammertime
    Newest Member
    Hammertime

1. EclipseStar
      EclipseStar
      (22 years old)
    2. nora-the-nerd
      nora-the-nerd
      (25 years old)
    • Abi
    • DonnaBall
      Joanna, go for it. I feel your pain from not living your dream.  Read the posts on this forum and you will learn a lot and then ask specific questions and you will get good advise. 
    • DonnaBall
      Thanks Kay, and it would be a BIG surprise since she absolutely detests any time I try to talk about being a woman.  Yesterday I was trying to tell her about my trans friend that I have been talking to and she had this disgusting look on her face and then made no comment. It's been this way for 34 years, and was always hoping I would change. We both finally gave up. 
    • Carrie
      Hi Vicky You all do such a great job!  I have been on other sites and it can be pretty bad.  Thank you for everything Carrie
    • KayC
      The root cause of ALL discrimination lies within the human condition .. it comes from a black dark hole that exists in EVERY single human being.  To identify differences and target those that are not like "us" (the majority) is within every human heart. Fundamentally its our choice if we chose to embrace that darkness and spew it back into society or see it as a challenge to overcome this within ourselves and our society. In that matter our entire Trans community shares a close connection with Black Lives Matter (and all social injustice, racism, bigotry, or discrimination) For Black Americans their struggle is systemic, historic, and will be a continuous challenge to overcome.  For Us .. .ours is just starting, but we can learn from the history of America how it can be turned against us also. When its less "socially acceptable" to openly target Blacks, Hispanics, Illegals, Muslims, etc ... then the LGBTQ+ community becomes an easy "target".  We've already seen that happen over the last decade. I think that might be why we are seeing this sudden uptick in attacks on Trans people (or maybe they are just more noticed now) Great subject!  I think I have more to add but will wait to hear from others.
    • VickySGV
      If you need some help, don't be afraid to ask for it and if you see something you think should not be please let us know.  The site does look good, but its the result of staff catching things I am sure you could believe but would not want to have around. 
    • Cyndee
      I grew up with bands such as, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Crosby, Stills, and Nash, Cream, Yes, Janis Joplin, The Doors, Pink Floyd, The Moody Blues, and Led Zeppelin to name a few.   When I hear music from my youth, it's time travel back to another time and place (long ago now). Music is very chronological for me.   I remember "Boss Radio" mostly on AM in the 60's and 70's, it was a certain format to broadcast popular music with.....FM radio had college stations that played "underground music" back then 🙂   Enjoy   C
    • Tori M
      We know a NY couple that has been stuck somewhere around the French Riviera since March and can't come home.  They're not complaining though, lol.  I guess if you gotta be stuck somewhere.....
    • Carrie
      Hi Vicky It is such a small thing that I mostly would not worry about it.  It just seemed like something we could do for ourselves. I like this site very much and if that keeps it safe then so be it.  I really need to proofread before I post.  Also sometimes put more thought in as well.  Before we had word processors I learned to type on an electric typewriter which I still have and proofreading was essential on that.  I need to pay more attention when posting.  Will do so from now on. 🙂 Hugs  Carrie
    • VickySGV
      It has been considered from the beginning of the site and rejected by the Owner / Admin/ Moderator staff.  We have rules to keep the site safe in a way that no other site does, and we want to keep it safe that way.  The site was begun in 2007 and we have not had the problems other sites do that allow edits at will. We want to keep it that way, and Moderators are chosen from members who show wisdom and reliability of judgment and helpfulness to the members.  The little mistake you made above is one we can easily fix if you tell us about it.  Just PM one of the Staff, Moderator or Admin's if one of us is here and we will make the change for you without charge.
    • Jani
      @Scotia Drake Hello dear.  As Jackie noted, Seriously!!  You've been taken for a ride by this doctor and their therapist friend.  Please don't despair as not all doctors are like that.  I think @Jackie C. has given you a good lead.  Get going!   Jani 
    • Jani
      Great idea.  I've seen that even the local Walmart has fabric paints available!  Look in the arts and crafts area.  You can look for a book but use your imagination and have fun. I bought some "puffy paint" a few years go to decorate a shirt for my granddaughter.  Draw, then iron it to get it to puff up!   I'm sure your kids would have fun too!     @Astrid what a great find.  I didn't know this existed.  Thanks for sharing.    Jani
    • Carrie
      See what I mean I meant to say wish not with. lol
    • Jani
      We cancelled a European vacation in December because of this fear that Americans would not be allowed in.  We've rebooked for Spring so we're hoping for the best.    Jani
    • Carrie
      Hi I was wondering if it has been considered to make it possible for those that put the posts in to edit them themselves. Just thought it might be a nice feature to incorporate in the site. Many thanks to a wonderful site with I had found it earlier With love and respect  Carrie
  • Upcoming Events