• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Sally Stone

Watch That Perfume Ladies

Sally Stone

Earlier to day, my wife and I were out doing a couple of errands, we took her car so she was driving.  After about five minutes in the car she said: "I guess your sense of smell is getting old, because you are wearing too much perfume."  Rats, I thought I was using my perfume sparingly, but perhaps not.  Is my "smeller" actually getting old, or, do I simply adjust to the fragrance after I apply it?  Not sure the reason, but I guess I need to be more sensitive to how much I am wearing.  I myself, have experienced the perfume cloud that surrounds certain women, so, I know how easily perfume can become overpowering.  I took my wife's comment to heart for next time when I'll be sure to spritz only once.  Where perfume is concerned, less really is more.  

Jackie C.

I'm guessing you went noseblind to it. My dad's the same way with cologne. He wore it every day for a while, and after some time passed it started to get stronger... and stronger...

Hugs!

VickySGV

Thank you for talking about this and learning.  Before this Virus problem started I used to get flyers from ULTA and Sephora cosmetics and their stuff had scratch and sniff inserts in them.  My computer chair is near where the mail drops in, and more than once I have rolled the chair wheels over the flyers, and set off the samples.  They can have me sneezing for an hour or two.  In my CD days, the stronger the perfume smell was the desired motif, I do not miss those times.

Mx.Drago

I have a very sensetive nose, can't even enter some perfume sections cuz it just hurts. Would have to evac sometimes from bus or train cuz somebody was extra generous. So normally just don't apply perfume, except for this one lotus oil perfume. Absolutely love it, but it's supposedly really strong, but no matter how little I use my partner can't stand it. Tells me he can smell it from across the room. So now I just use it to calm my nerves. Can't wear perfume otherwise.

KathyLauren

I am one of those who react strongly to perfumes.  Sometimes, it's like getting hit in the face, ans some products can cause my eyes and sinuses to burn. 

I always try to use unscented products if I can, and I don't use perfume.  With more and more places going scent-free, I can't justify using it.

Sally Stone

Thanks ladies.  I may just go the "no perfume" route as well, I mean, I don't have a stink problem or anything like that to hide or cover up, so perhaps no fragrance is the best option. 

Mx.Drago

Wished it was as simple, if I just applied to "ladies," and though I do identify as both male and female, I'm still not a Lady, at least in my strange way of being. "Friends" seems to be a better, more neutral term, unless I was purposely left out, which I don't believe was the intent, but if it was... Gasp. :(

Cheyenne skye

Let's not forget that loss of sense of smell is a symptom of THE Virus. 

Chloé Rei

I use Angel and Obsession which are heavier scents. I hit the pulse points on my neck and wrists. Only to be told by everyone I ask that they don't smell anything. So I guess my body just drinks it up.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

myt10
    Newest Member
    myt10

1. Eden
      Eden
      (65 years old)
    • Jani
      Many including myself believe that live here on Earth can be both Heaven or Hell.  It all depends upon how we live.  Stay true to who you are and live a good life.  If there is an afterlife, you will be fine.  I was also raised in a religious family and I do not believe god is an angry or vengeful deity.  
    • Jani
      Thanks Heather @Shay.  It is a beautiful sentiment.  We are all stronger together.    Jani
    • Naz86
      I’ve had the same question in my head since I can remember and What I’ve come to believe is if you’re pure at heart and a decent human being there’s always a place for you heaven. We leave our body behind and our souls are the only thing that lives in the after life.    be true and be yourself    rest is up to god 😁
    • MaryMary
      Your story is very similar to mine. What you are feeling is normal. Those who are close to a transgender person that is making a transition go trough a transition themselves. Identity is something very abstract until you are in the situation you are in. It's normal to go trough a kind of mourning and to feel like you are losing someone in the beginning. It's still very much the same person but identity working the way it works I think it trigger something in our brain. My ex has gone trough the same thing you are going trough right now. Don't be too hard on yourself and give yourself some space and time to process and adjust to all of this. The fact that you are here and have a strong desire to help and support him is already something incredible and very beautiful to me, keep it up Sometimes I feel that since we have no "template" for your situation it's easy to feel very bad and react negatively when in reality you are experiencing something very normal.   Anecdote : My ex when I was at the same point in my transition was bitching Mary because she saw her as a competition for him. Yet, him and her were all just... me. lol It's so special when you think about it. It's not easy and if you ever need help or if you ever need to talk don't hesitate to write again in our forum
    • Susan R
      Hello @myt10 and welcome to our forum. I hope we can help. I want to say that I admire you for taking time to reach out and try to understand your feelings and fears as you venture into this new unknown. My wife was where you are two years ago and it was difficult. Your feelings are totally understandable and your spouse needs to understand that you have to make adjustments also if they want your support. They sound like are in a big hurry but for them it’s like the shot was fired and they are only trying to realize their dream of becoming their true self. Right now communication is key. You need to get them to really listen to you. They need to validate your feeling more than anyone here on this forum. You seem like you are not having an issue with the possible transition but it’s just moving a little too fast for you right now. This is a common complaint by even the most accepting spouses and partners of a transgender individual who has recently come out. Is your spouse really hearing you and understanding your needs? You might ask them straight up what they think your biggest fear is and see what their response is. Often they are reading your actions and nonverbal responses to their changes as negative. They may not understand what you need. I would ask your spouse if they might be interested in going to therapy with a gender focused counselor. This may help you both compromise with each other to make this unknown a little more predictable for you both.  My wife and I made similar arrangements and it worked very well. A good therapist can help fit a plan to you and your spouse with more complete information. I would definitely look into this as an option. Thank you for sharing...I know it’s difficult but you two have all the makings of a couple that can weather this storm.   Warmest Regards, Susan R🌷
    • SaraAW
      Thanks @Susan R. That's the goal, help her come to acceptance and continue loving each other. Have a great day! Hugs!
    • Niamh
      So I'm 62 - does that mean I only love 70s/80s music? Absolutely not. My daughter accidentally introduced me to EDM a few years ago at a music festival in England. And having started clubbing at the age of 52, I thoroughly love modern club music. This is the latest music I'm into from K-391 and Alan Walker....  
    • Susan R
      @SaraAW Congratulations on this required next step for your name change. It’s going to feel so good when it finally becomes official.😊 I know it must be difficult not getting the backing of your wife. However, It may help her see in a few weeks or a month that you’re still the same person you’ve always been. Life will continue and your love for her will not waiver due to this legal name change.   Susan R🌷 
    • myt10
      [Note: I'll be using he/him pronouns as he hasn't changed his pronouns yet.]   He started talking about the possibility of being nb or trans about a year ago, but it wasn't until recently that I found out he was doing a really deep dive into talking to other trans people and reading about dysphoria and the like. He took a small step to alleviate dysphoria about a week ago, collapsed into tears in front of me, and spent the next few days in a mixed state of anxiety and euphoria as he took tiny little steps just within our household to feel more feminine, even if he isn't out to anyone but me and his two best friends.   Initially I was relieved on his behalf and desperate to support him in any way possible, and... I still want to do that. He talks about the feeling of being in the closet as wearing a "man suit" and that that feeling's increased as he's taken more steps to alleviate dysphoria, and I don't want him to feel like he has to live in that man suit for the rest of his life if it makes him hate his body and himself. I'm bi/pansexual, so the prospect of being married to a woman doesn't bother me. But I'm here on this forum because as he takes more and more steps away from a masc presentation and towards a femme one, I feel like I'm losing touch with the person I married, and I feel terrible saying that. Is he becoming someone new? I know he isn't, but that doesn't change that the energy coming off of him is different now. The more he changes, the more uncertain I get, the more scared I get. I don't know if I'm ready for this, and I really have no say. I can't force him into the closet just because I'm irrationally worried that he's going to change so much, not even talking about visibly, that he becomes unrecognizable. I know he'll be the same person underneath the femme, but -- will he be? Do I know that? This is so hard to admit, and I feel awful, but I don't know where else to turn. I don't want to hurt him by voicing this to him, he's going through enough. I love him. I'm just scared.   I know I can get through this. I know I can be there for him. I just need someone to validate these feelings. I can't bear feeling like he's chosen this over continuing our relationship as comfortably as, at least, I thought it was, and it was to me, because that is absolutely unfair and irrational and I know that.   I'm crying as I write this because I'm hating myself for being so selfish. I know it's wrong. I'm sorry, I hope this doesn't hurt anyone's feelings. I just needed to be honest somewhere.
    • MaryEllen
      OMG  That is so awesome. Thank you. ❤️
    • Shay
      wise words - do what you can to nurture relationship but remember there is only one person you have any power to change - you can only plant good seeds.  
    • KymmieL
      Jani you are right. it would be good for me that I would be able to be with my wife more. As she works days and when I am working closings and weekend we have no time for us. Maybe I'll talk to the manager and see just what pay cut I will have.   Kymmie
    • Shay
      @MaryEllen You asked me to send Safe Haven song - here it is.. Hugs, Heather Shay safe haven.mp3
    • Mia Marie
      When applying for new jobs there is a place where you are asked if you have been known by another name. That would be the place to start using your new name but as Jackie says be upfront about yourself and ask if it would be a problem. You also have to tell them that at some point you will be using the new name as your regular name and then the HR records need to be changed.    For me all of this is a bit harder since I didn't come to terms of being trans until after I started.
    • Alexxiss
      Agreed Teri. I’m sorry to hear your experiences with radical feminists, both of you. As someone who underwent conversion therapy from my Christian family, I have to say that was the most oppressed I’ve ever been. Yes back to the point. Personality has a lot to do with passing. You can be beautiful and young but if you are unlikeable it’s unlikely someone will respect your pronouns.
  • Upcoming Events