• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Who I model myself after

I've got be careful about who I compare myself to.  I was learning this once but I guess I slipped back.  When I came out the first time, I felt and acted like a nervous crossdresser in public and like some crossdressers, I was comparing myself to the unrealistic "model woman".  I was just learning not to do that when I fell back into the closet.  Now I need to learn it again, but thankfully, I seem to have jumped ahead since last time.  I don't compare myself to the pretty young girls any more.  I guess I had my "maiden" voyage, and now I'm seeing myself far more realistically.

For the past week I've been shopping online trying to update/rebuild my meager wardrobe and of course have been seeing thousands of images of models.  I realized when I looked in the mirror this morning that those images had burned an impression in my head and I didn't look as good as I thought I did last week.  But I know better now.  I shook it off, applied a touch of mascara and lip gloss and went to town.  Seeing the average, ordinary people of this small, country town got me back in perspective.  When I'm in the right mindset, I can be a confident woman in public.  Being realistic is key.

• Forum Moderator

That's a really good point, Tori!  Don't compare yourself to anyone else, because you are incomparable.  :D  It's not about being someone else, it's about being yourself.

Thank you, Kathy.  I agree.  ☺️  Wish I could retitle this to "Who I model myself after".  All of us gals (including cis women) look to cis women for our behavioral cues, dressing, makeup, etc.  I have a more realistic model now that I'm older and more experienced.

I model myself after me! ? During all my years presenting male, I was always pretty aware how I'd look as my proper self.

However, this didn't stop me going for a completely ridiculous blonde haired look that just wasn't me when I first decided to transition! ?