• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Is anyone liveing full time feme?

Joanna Huston

I'm looking to live full time as Joanna Huston and need to know what I have to do to live full time. Can anyone tell me how to live full time as Joanna Huston? 

• Admin

Well, I have been out and open as me for 11 years now and my posts since 2011 are all here in the forums.  If you get down to it, that is our purpose here to help each other move on in to our dreams and needs.  You are not asking anything we really cannot help you with, some a little more than others, but first look around here and see what you can find.  All the way from buying your first underwear and looking for medical help to go forward.  Our one big piece of advice is to move at your own pace and do things safely.  It may be a little riskier in your state than in mine, so some things need to go slower.  Dive in and look around and if you see part of an answer, post in the topic and someone will come along and answer it.

• Forum Moderator

Get yourself a good gender therapist to talk to and help you devise a plan.  As Vicky notes it's important to go at your own pace, safely.  Thats because her plan, or my plan may not work for you or anyone else.  We are all unique in our reasons and places of transition.  Any journey starts with the first step.  Where are you headed?  

Jani

• Forum Moderator

Welcome, Joanna.

I timed my transition to full-time for when my figure was starting to get implausible for a man and plausible for a woman, which was about three months after starting HRT.  I started using my new name immediately, and then set about getting it changed legally.  I would have done my legal gender change at the same time, but I had to wait a couple of years for them to change the regulations on that.

For the actual transition, I picked a date based on which groups were meeting when and who in each group might blab to others.  My thinking was to keep as much control of the narrative as possible, and minimize rumour-spreading.  It worked out well.  I stood up at the weekly community coffee gathering and announced that I was transitioning, and that, henceforth, I would be Kathy (she/her).  I followed up by telling the fire department a few days later.  Some groups, I came out to by email.  Within a week, every group I was a member of knew.

And after that, it was just a matter of being myself.  I did a lot of shopping at second-hand stores to build my wardrobe  You can get some really nice clothes at great prices that way.

Welcome @Joanna Huston.  Trans Pulse is a place of exploration, discovery, and caring support.  You'll find many answers here and we are all eager to help.  One of the first things we discover is that this is a journey with many steps and a fuzzy destination in the distance.  Every journey starts with the first step and, IMHO, you've just taken a big one.

Tori

I just want to be the real me and that a woman! I'm not sure if I want to transition ! I do enjoy dressing up as Joanna and would love to be her full time . I came out to my older sister and to my family that lives here in Neligh Ne.

• Admin

I do know someone who has no plans for medical or surgical transition, but who lives nearly full time as a woman.  She waited until she and her wife moved to a new city.  The people she's encountered who know are understanding and tolerant, but she also knows the risks.  Not having an ID that matches the name she uses is potentially problematic, but so far hasn't been.  She is out to only a couple of people among family and friends.  She is happy for now, and her wife is happy knowing she won't change her body.  How long it will all last no one knows, least of all my friend.  She lives for the moment as the woman she is.

Carolyn Marie

Carolyn Marie

That's what I want to do and doing so would make me happy! This changing back and forth sucks at times! But its what I have to do for now. Tell I know how to go about living full time!

Hi Joanna! Nice to meet you and Welcome!
I think you received some great advice and experiences here already.  @Carolyn Marie's example is a good one.

So, I cannot offer much more, other than I feel like I am in somewhat the same place you are.  I don't currently feel a need for surgical transition, and I'm not sure I want or need to go through the legal ID change.  But, I do want to FEEL in synch with my feminine identity and hopefully be able to dress/present that way as much as possible, if not full time.

I do feel I need therapy and eventually HRT to accomplish those goals.  I can dress in private at home, but that is not enough to quell my anxieties. 

So, just letting you know there are as many paths to happiness as there are Members in the Forum.  So, I think you will find it helpful.

Deep Breaths ... one step at a time❣️

3 hours ago, Joanna Huston said:

I came out to my older sister and to my family that lives here in Neligh Ne.

That's cool -- I've actually been to Neligh, to visit the Neligh Mills historic site (and my spouse is from Nebraska).  Being several hours drive from Lincoln or Omaha, you might see if there are gender therapists with whom you can work online, for convenience.  A therapist is a great way to help you better understand your gender identity and feel comfortable with who you are.

Best wishes on the journey ahead!  Hugs,

Astrid

• Forum Moderator
6 hours ago, Joanna Huston said:

Can anyone tell me how to live full time as Joanna Huston? 

Welcome Joanna, Nice to meet you! Well the short answer...have thick skin, lots of confidence, a few good friends and allies, a nice age appropriate wardrobe with matching shoes (lots of shoes), and a good  gender focused therapist.

The longer answer is much more than one can cover in a single reply post but there are some great posts here already that give you some ideas about how. We talk about this subject very often so hang around here long enough and you’ll know just how to go about it at your own pace and in a way that’s right for you.

Warmest Regards,

Susan R?

After I had the sex reassignment surgery in 1977, I had to go to a Greek court, "translate" (change) all papers from my old and deceased sex and the court even changed my birth certificate as F (female).

Legaly, I was in my new life as woman in 1978.

Joanna,

I mentally and emotionally transgendered for a year before taking hormones and then lived still as a male for another year until my chest was impossible to hide any more and then a year and a half ago put my new name on the mailbox, threw out all my boy clothes, dressed and let everyone know that I was unapologetically Erikka with she, her and hers pronouns. First day was so fear laden I almost didn't go out. Now I am without a doubt or an apology, Erikka. Best decision ever. Good luck with your journey.

Velsignelser,

Erikka

@Erikka thank you for your in put here . I'm not sure I want to take hormones just yet maybe down the road I would!

I do love the time I get to be my true self being Joanna. I even went out and bought me 2 new tops and  cutie dress. I love going shopping for new closes. I do buy my Closes here in town in person but I have also bought some off line.