• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Could I Be Non-Binary?

PHLPHPY

Hello, everyone. I am new to this site and I have never posted on any kind of forum before, so you can tell that I am a bit desperate for answers here. 

I have been questioning my gender lately because I have finally reached a point in my life when I feel secure doing that. I was assigned female at birth and came out as a lesbian in high school. So I spent my teenage years coming to accept my sexuality and getting others to as well and I could not afford to be any more different or be anything other than female while living with my transphobic, but not terribly homophobic, parents. Now, I am twenty years old, in college, in a relationship with a wonderful woman who will accept me regardless of my gender identity (we have talked about this), and have many LGBTQ+ friends. 

Now I am having a lot of trouble figuring out whether I am a butch woman, a woman who rejects traditional expressions and expectations of femininity, agender, genderfluid, or some other kind of non-binary. I know that I am not a trans man. But that is more or less the only thing I have been able to rule out. I recently cut off my long hair and got a fairly masculine style, which felt very validating to me, especially because I am now called "sir" fairly often by customers at work. It is not that I like being seen as a man, so much as that I like not being immediately identified as female. I almost always wear the most gender-neutral clothing possible. I mostly shop in the women's sections of clothing stores because the clothes tend to fit me better, but I am not limited by it and often buy from the men's as well.

I do not like my name. I have never liked my name. I have a distinctly feminine name and I dislike it for that reason. I am okay with she/her pronouns and would not be offended if referred to with he/him, but I might prefer they/them or something else. I am unsure. I have never hated my body or felt particularly uncomfortable with it. I have found having the lower female parts strange at times, but never bad. I think this is helped by the fact that I have a naturally gender-neutral look and body type. I am 5' 7'' (the height of a relatively short man or tall woman), have breasts that are small enough to be hidden easily (by a tight yet comfortable sports bra and loose clothing) when I want them to be but large enough to be visible when I want that, and am slim, yet toned and somewhat muscular. 

I want to know if this matches some of the experience of non-binary people. I probably left out some important details, but I thought I should post as quickly as possible before I lose my nerve. I think that I have internalized the idea that you are just supposed to know your gender, and because of that I feel odd being in a trans space as someone who is questioning. But I know how I feel, I know how I express my gender, I know how I would like to express it and do not. What I do not know is the appropriate language for what I am. Am I a woman who just does woman differently than most women do? Or am I sufficiently different from most women to be considered not one? If I am not a woman, what am I? I know that no one but me can answer these questions, but if some non-binary people could tell me what characteristics made them feel different enough from their assigned gender to place themselves in a different category, especially how they are similar to or different from my experience, it would be very helpful. Thank you for your help and for reading this long and somewhat rambling post.

• Admin

You fit the general description of a good number of my friends who identify as Non Binary, and a few who are FtM Trans no-hormone/non-op.  The choice between the two generally identical categories is up to you to decide.  Whatever way you take it, this is where you can talk about it.