• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Changing Names

I am new here and posted yesterday asking for advice because I am questioning my gender. I am still not sure what I am (these things tend to take more than a day), but I think that I want a more gender-neutral name even if I am cis. I really don't like having a feminine name. I am very sure about that feeling, even if I am confused about my overall gender identity. How should I go about picking a name? How hard is it to change legally? What effect would leaving the legal name alone and just asking people to call me something else have? I worry about offending my parents by changing my name. Does anyone have experience with that? I also worry that I should do it soon if I am going to do it at all because I plan to go into academia and I do not want to deal with the confusion of having some papers/awards/books/grants/degrees under an old name. I want to see my whole body of work under one name. Thinking about this makes me want to keep my current name even though I know it is not me. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Forum Moderator

Name changes are pretty painless from a legal standpoint. What the exact requirements are vary by state, but there's usually a point where you post in some sort of publication, you swear you're not doing it for any illegal purpose and then you have a court date where a judge says, "granted." Then you fill out some paperwork and go about letting everybody you do business with your new name. It's not really different than changing your last name because you got married from a legal perspective. Some money exchanges hands, but it's not a crippling expense. Not even if you go overboard on ordering the "proof of name change" forms like I did.

Nothing wrong with going by a nickname. People have been saying, "Please, call me ... whatever ... " for probably as long as there's been names. Certainly the day after the name, "Manfred" was invented for example. The only real repercussion is that you need to keep saying, "Please, call me... whatever." Maybe have a short story prepared as to why you go by your gender-neutral name instead of your birth name because you know people are going to ask.

I utterly agree about changing your name before you start your career though. I've got credits... and a diploma... using my dead name that are going to be an absolute joy to explain to people over and over again. Especially considering that in my state it's totally cool to discriminate against people for being transgender.

Hugs!

Finding a name that resonates with you can really take some time. Speaking as a long-time player of video games, I found it easy to work through something like a character name or alias or the type, a bit like a callsign. I... reached the peace with my own name after creating a character that used it, and it resonated with me enough that I have every intention of using it. Jackie is absolutely correct about the procedures for changing names and identity legally - both that the legal procedures tend to be fairly straightforward and involve legal fees, paperwork, swearing that you're changing your name for legal reasons - but the other side of it's true as well - having to explain credits or work history or anything else attached to a person's birth name and identity. I do not look forward to having to (e.g.) go through the change of name procedures with Social Security. I am used to poring over lists of names whenever I am creating a new fictitious character - but in this circumstance, in your place, I would start with what culturally resonated with me the most, and move from there.

Sincerely - I hope any of this helps you!

• Forum Moderator
43 minutes ago, lachallenger said:

the change of name procedures with Social Security

That's surprisingly straightforward too. I went in with my paperwork, chatted with the clerk, asked a couple of questions (There are stupid regulations in changing gender markers in my state), and went about my way. The worst part was sitting in the waiting room.

Hugs!

31 minutes ago, Jackie C. said:

That's surprisingly straightforward too. I went in with my paperwork, chatted with the clerk, asked a couple of questions (There are stupid regulations in changing gender markers in my state), and went about my way. The worst part was sitting in the waiting room.

Hugs!

Huh! Usually communications with them are a bramble patch for me - though an office visit isn't going to be an option for me for a while, that said.

Cheers!

• Forum Moderator
27 minutes ago, lachallenger said:

Huh! Usually communications with them are a bramble patch for me - though an office visit isn't going to be an option for me for a while, that said.

Yeah, probably not for me either. It's a small office with a cramped and crowded waiting room. They may start taking appointments only though so, after I get the REST of my paperwork filled out (My gynecologist needs to inspect my GCS surgeon's work, declare me female and fill out a form to that effect), I can start looking into that.

The birth certificate should be easier. I can do that by mail or maybe online.

Hugs!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 88 Guests (See full list)

• Petra Jane
    • Couples Outfit
    • Karen Carey
    • April Marie
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Chaidoesart
    Newest Member
    Chaidoesart

1. **Angela Charlotte **
      **Angela Charlotte **
    2. Carlie
      Carlie
      (63 years old)
    3. Cbxshawn
      Cbxshawn
      (49 years old)
    4. HannahO
      HannahO
      (31 years old)
    5. JustKatie
      JustKatie
      (40 years old)
    • Willow
      Hi   boy you back to work and miss lots.  No time to catch up right now. But I will.   just wanted to let everyone know I’m still here.   willow
    • Davie
      "No one feels alone in a bookstore."
    • Davie
      Thanks, @VickySGVfor some truth. Hatred may speak loudly in a political agenda, but there is always love, there is always love.
    • VickySGV
      Doesn't this belong over in the Humor Topic??  Grim humor I admit, but it has the dark humor picture of the folks protesting the Sacramento Sanctuary Laws.  If the world is going to end next week why are these people so concerned about someone staying fertile and able to have children??   Crazy.
    • VickySGV
      Once again the opposition is telling scary, unfounded  baloney about what IS being done to any Trans Person.  The truth about the very little and very cautious treatments just will not sink into them because it will sink them.  They bully their own Cis children unmercifully to fit into their molds, and that is gruesome in itself. I am happy to say I know that Trans children and all Trans folks in the area have access to wonderful care based on what some of my former State colleagues who have Trans family members and fellow employees there in Sacramento keep telling me about. 
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/local-politics/republicans-gop-ballot-initiatives-target-transgender-people/73-c47ad7ee-40ca-43e0-bb83-07e662eb1029   The reason CO has a Dem super majority is b/c it's a very blue state. A ballot initiative is going to go absolutely nowhere. They're wasting their time.   Carolyn Marie
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-news/sacramento-sanctuary-city-transgender-people-rcna145287     Carolyn Marie
    • missyjo
      good for you dear. my guess is soreness is good sign things are going on there. water them n hope. smiles   actually was speaking to someone other day n they said the growth leveled off after a few years  which coincided with a few years of very high stress..n then when the high stress resolved, she grew another cup size..
    • missyjo
      darling I completely agree. but it will need road testing I'd think.    and I recently asked a surgeon about an idea I had for easier recovery...do a zero depth 1st..recover then add a canal..he said NO. this surgery is hard enough on body to recover, do not do it any more than needed. also said penile inversion usually is sufficient n includes a few centimeters of perineum tissue anyway..so keep the perineum pull through as a reserve technique in case there is a problem with theb penile inversion.    hugs to any who want them
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      I can't tell from the article if being trans was part of the motivation for the crime, or whether it was simply incidental to it. Clearly at least one of the perpetrators was known to the victim, which seems to continue the pattern that the most dangerous people for us are often people we know.  😒
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Beans, beans, the musical fruit...   But beans and rice make a complete protein, and a pretty cheap base for any sort of meal. Since two of my partners are Hispanic and one is Asian, we use a lot of rice. Plenty of beans too, although 90% of the time they are on the form of black-eyed peas. That crop grows really well in the South no matter how hot and dry it gets.  And the Native American trio of corn, beans, and squash is a classic.  Actually, those ingredients tend to show clearly whether kids were raised with a healthy diet or not. Kids raised eating those foods luke them. Kids raised without experiencing those foods tend to reject them immediately. Rather strange.
    • Ashley0616
      I feel a little better about going outside. I got my EpiPen just in case of an emergency. Today was rough started euphoric and then depression hit real hard and I don't even know what it was about. It just happened. I want to see a bright future but it turns dim because of something. I was disappointed on how much supplemental insurance was more than regular health insurance. I enjoy seeing other successful people making it as a couple through everything in fact I cheer them on but it just makes me think if I will find anyone. I barely dated anyone when I was physically fit male and then it seems the older I get it gets harder. Not to mention everyone down here leaves as soon as they find out I'm trans. It's only going to get more difficult because of borderline personality disorder. It's dang near seems impossible that people would even put up with that. After all that I'm still trying to be positive and hope for the best but I always expect the worst and that has always been the case. Pushing 40 and I haven't even experienced true love.
    • Ashley0616
      Couldn't be any more truthful!
    • Mmindy
      Good afternoon everyone,    I’ve been working in the shop and preparing a few training props for shipping. So my responses and activity here has been very slow. I’m doing well just real tired.    Hugs,    Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋    
    • Mmindy
      That’s good news, listen to your doctors and your body. You may be asked to start a daily exercise routine and walking around the neighborhood. The worst thing you can do is become sedentary and laying around.    Hugs,   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.