• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Name Your Favorite Female Vocalists

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator

Still no call from my pharmacy today to start my HRT .... so in the meantime I was thinking of my favorite women vocalists are so as part of my voice femininization I can start trying to sing along with.

SO who are your favorites....

Mine are

1) Bonnie Raitt

2) Susan Tedeschi

3) Dale Rossington

4) Stevie Nicks

5) Linda Ronstadt

6) Norah Jones

7) Anne Wilson

? Janis Joplin

9) Grace Potter

10) June Millington

11) Beth Hart

Honorary Choices - sorry no matter how I will try - I will never be as soulful as these incredible black ladies -Billie Holiday, Aretha Franklin, Minnie Riperton

https://youtu.be/imZUqkPlUaQ

Oh dear dear, I have too many that I truly fancy. Here are a few that comes in my mind:

Amy Winehouse

Connie Francis

Duffy

Emily Sande

Etta James

Annie Lenox

Gabriella Cilmi

Giusy Ferreri

Mina

Grace Jones

Leona Lewis

Lisa Stansfield 

Patsy Cline

and of course The Dame Shirley Bassey

• Forum Moderator

quite a few i know and like, several othees i now need to listen to. thank you Dina

For the past decade it's been Loreena McKinnett and Azam Ali.  Over the long haul, I would say Stevie Nicks and Loretta Lynn.  As a teen I had a major crush on Linda Ronstadt.

You should listen to Mina, great voice. She stoped performing live since decades ago. From her private studio in Switzerland, every year she offered us a new album.

Mina

Please listen to Luna Diamante, music is an international language if you don't understand Italian

Julien Baker

Phoebe Bridgers

Florence Welch

Adele

Bjork

Karen O

Charity Rose Thielen

Emily Haines

To name a few.  

• Forum Moderator

Chrissie Hynde

Bonnie Raitt

Cyndi Lauper

• Forum Moderator

great...i forgot,Chrissie and she's from Cuyahoga Falls that is not far from me.

i akso forgot a kady whose niece worked where i worked and she said her aunt got all the vocal talent. .her name is

Pat Benetar

This is a great thread idea @Shay !!!

1. Roberta Flack

2. Gloria Gaynor

3. Lisa "Left eye" Lopes

4. Janis Joplin

5. Tash Sultana

6. Aretha Franklin

My list has a few more recent singers:

In no particular order. 

1 Amy Lee (Evanescence)

2 Lzzy Hale (Halestorm)

3 Pink

4 Tarja Turunen/ Floor Jansen 

(Both have been the lead singer for the band Nightwish)

5 Ann Wilson 

6 Pat Benatar

7 Joan Jett

8 Stevie Nicks

9 Taylor Momsen (The Pretty Reckless)

10 Alyssa White-Gluz (Arch Enemy)

6 hours ago, Shay said:

I was thinking of my favorite women vocalists are so as part of my voice femininization I can start trying to sing along with.

16 years ago I was making a long drive every week.  I had several Madonna CD's in the car, her voice was in my range and thanks to incessant play on the radio I knew all the words, so I would sing Madonna tunes the whole 4-1/2 hr. trip there and then back a couple of days later.  Or until my voice gave out, lol.  It really helped, but I doubt I could do that today.

• Forum Moderator

Amelia Brightman is by far my favorite female vocalist.

Although I have several female vocalists I love. it's time for recognition of the obscure and unknown. 

In 2003, on a Serbian rendition of 'America's Got Talent' a young (20's probably) woman sang a rendition of Alanis Morisette's What's Going On. This song requires a wide vocal range. So wide that Alanis can no longer hit all the high notes. Neither can Pink or anyone else I've seen attempt it. Every time I listen to this, I come away wide-eyed. IMHO, it's the best rendition I've ever heard, hands down. And yes, that's me on the top of the comments section.

• Forum Moderator

these are all so good...and a lot i can use to help qith my voice feminization...my goal is to finish a couple more love songs and other songs i have recorded and in about a year add a vocal ao i can sing a duet with the old male self i left behind 

4 hours ago, Patti Anne said:

This song requires a wide vocal range. So wide that Alanis can no longer hit all the high notes. Neither can Pink or anyone else I've seen attempt it. Every time I listen to this, I come away wide-eyed. IMHO, it's the best rendition I've ever heard, hands down

Chills!  Very few singers have that kind of range.  The great ones always give me chills.  Jackie Evancho, Susan Boyle, Courtney Hadwin......

3 hours ago, Tori M said:

Very few singers have that kind of range. 

I know! wasn't that just awesome? I get near tears just listening to it!

Wow!  Such great lists and names.  I don't know many of these performers, but will certainly look them up.

Being fairly well "seasoned" (old), I've forgotten a lot of my earliest female vocalists, but here goes (in no particular order):

Karen Carpenter (amazing voice and incredible all-round musician)

Adele

Aretha Franklin

Indigo Girls

Melissa Etheridge

Loreena McKinnett

Carrie Underwood

Joan Baez

Janis Ian

Pat Benatar

K D Lang

Amber Riley (little known, but she won an Olivier in London's West End for "Dream Girls")  Here she's singing a cappella - and it's funny as heck) 

Can't remember any more right now :(

• 1 month later...

After I finally admitted the truth and came out to everyone, my Alexa saw a daily run through of songs by Taylor Swift, Jason Derulo, and Walk The Moon.

Songs by each just reflected my ridiculously elevated mood, and were all, or mostly all of a higher pitch, voice-wise.

I added (after discovering it waaaaaaay later than everyone else) “Let It Go” from Frozen...I just discovered that the message resonated with the start of my new journey.

I also mixed in some songs from the “Once More With Feeling” episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Then some Heart got thrown into the mix, among others from the 80’s...Laura Brannigan, Tiffany, etc.

I really began to notice my amateur voice training paying off when I could use my new, higher voice, to sing along with non-high pitched vocalists...Hall & Oates and such.

But it was really tested today when I had Alexa play some of my favorite band — Metallica — and I was singing right along with my new voice. I can’t guarantee how it sounded to anyone else...but to me it sounded just fine.

• Forum Moderator

Congrats @Wichita I am?working hard to lift my vocal range and my band notices I am reaching the high notes much better so it's working

Oh man, there are too many. My top one are as follows.

Whitney Houston

TIffany Darwish (known professionally as Tiffany)

Marie Friedrikson (from Roxette)

Sarah Mclaclen

Margo Timmins ( From the Cowboy Junkies)

Yael Naim

Lorena Lewis

Shania Twain

Jenette Jurado ( From Expose)

Brittany Murphy (Yes she could sing)

I have recently started listening to female artists doing original acoustic songs. Their raw sound and deeply emotional feelings for their own words in a song are really impressive. Here is one I really love. Her heritage and experiences just pour out in her style.

• Forum Moderator

SHE IS AMAZING - I first heard her as part of the Carolina Chocolate Drops - being from Mount Vernon, home of Dan Emmett who wrote Dixie, Blue Tail Fly, Old Dan Tucker and Turkey in the Straw - I wrote a play about Minstrel music and the CCD played at Kenyon College near me. They were wonderful and she was the STANDOUT.

GREAT CHOICE.

On 8/23/2020 at 7:35 PM, Shay said:

Congrats @Wichita I am?working hard to lift my vocal range and my band notices I am reaching the high notes much better so it's working

I left one out — Cyndi Lauper.

And thanks...it’s not really much of an accomplishment though, in my case. When I was a kid, my mother’s workplace frequently confused me with my older sister over the phone. 

And as I got older I always had a stunning ability to impersonate a variety of voices. I’m no Michael Winslow from Police Academy, but I have a wide range.

And despite all this, I’m still likely going to want vocal surgery. A wide range also means wide fluctuations depending on a variety of factors. Sitting/laying position...exhaustion...dehydration all cause wild fluctuations in my ability to mimic my favorite vocalists.