• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hellothere

Ah therapy

Hellothere

Idk what else to title this ha ha

I  had a therapy appointment todau. Shes the third therapist now. Im like losing hope on finding a good one. First one was sevey under educated on trans topics, wasted a year. Second was WAY to pushy for hormones. Thisone. Idk how i feel yet. She seemed done with me at times. But she was perfectly nice and understanding. Asked questions, the usual. Seems decently trans educated. Idk if its my lack of fairh or...? Ill kerp with her till im sure. I just dunno. It mught be my trust issues too. Or that its through a screen. Like she was nice and all i kust. Ahh idk. Idk maybe she just woke up? Maybe she didnt get sllep. She just seemed tired at some answers.  Im torn between dustrust and my giving benefit of the doubtness. 

Aaaaa therapy js stressful sometimes. 

SaraAW

There is something called screen fatigue that is being studied. From what I’ve read, people are burning out emotively as a result of over emoting on video calls to try and make up for the loss of fidelity through screens and lack of some non-verbal cues that cannot be captured through screens. Maybe this could explain some of the things you saw from the therapist. 

Maybe they were tired or they were thinking or it could be one of a million other things. It takes awhile to learn everyone’s communication idiosyncrasies. We all communicate slightly differently than each other, both verbally and non-verbally. This is why my training as an investigator taught me to first work on establishing a rapport, then start with simple unrelated and innocuous questions and study how your subject responds. The more time spent in this stage, the better you will be at identifying their responses when you get to tougher topics and they begin deception or try to guard. There is more to it than that, but what I’m trying to say is, one brief session is not enough to begin to be able interpret someone’s behaviour and the motives behind them. 

Then we have or own biases that we can project onto the other person and end up misreading their cues. 

Time and bilateral trust are what build rapports. Give it a few honest sessions. If you have trouble with trust, start small with a few of the smaller things to test the waters. 

Also, licensed therapists are required to keep your trust unless you pose immediate harm to yourself or others. Failing to keep your trust will result in them losing their ability to practice. Pretty strong motivation to keep your trust.

I hope your next session goes better. Don’t be afraid to talk to your therapist about how you thought your therapist was responding to you. It is valuable to both you and your therapist to know how you each are reading each other. 

Hugs!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 90 Guests (See full list)

• Cris31
    • SL
    • Emily michelle
    • MaryEllen
    • Dinaki
    • Cyndee
    • Carolyn Marie
    • Naomi Knowles
    • Kylie
    • Bri2020
    • Kris-Boston
    • Jackie C.
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Sam S
    Newest Member
    Sam S

No users celebrating today
    • Emily michelle
      I’m considering it more and more. I guess I really need to talk to someone and see what area I would like best.
    • SL
      I agree with this. Being "smart" is such a relative thing and I think a lot of times it has to do with the quality of the teachers. If teachers aren't engaging and excited about what they teach then learning the material is going to suck and you won't do as well in courses. There are also people who are know a lot, but they are just bad at testing. People who are bad at testing because of test anxiety or dyslexia or other similar issues can get testing accommodations at universities.   What I've learned about teaching is if the teacher can't explain the course material to a seven year old, they are probably not a good teacher. Obviously this may not be the case for quantum mechanics or some areas of neuroscience or philosophy, but if a teacher makes you feel stupid, it's probably their fault. I personally don't think there are stupid people, just people who had bad teachers.
    •  Kylie
      Super cool. I think Nursing is definitely one of the top careers because you have such vast options on where and what type you do.     
    • Emily michelle
      Oh ok wow you have a tough job being in an icu. I’m fairly familiar with nursing because my mom was a nurse for 40 years.
    •  Kylie
      @Emily michelle I work in a Medical Intensive Care Unit. I have my Masters in Nursing Education and am finishing up Practitioner school currently and going into Advanced Practice with Critical Care/Cardiology at some point.     
    • Cris31
      That's quite a long time Sandra.  Glad you're happier.  I wish I'd realized earlier, could have avoided the denial, depression, etc.  But we can only move forward and try and make the best of it.
    • Emily michelle
      I’m considering health care both of my parents are retired from health care. My wife also mentioned nursing school. That’s awesome that people are that accepting in that field. I wish my current profession was more accepting but I don’t see that happening. If you don’t mind me asking Kylie what kind of nursing are you in?
    • Bri2020
      Thanks.  My google searches all had stuff from 2015 or earlier.  I have no problem with itemization, small biz owner so... also I'm discovering how much out of pocket all of this is running so reaching 7% isn't gonna be a problem, especially if electrolysis is covered.  I saw a reference in a legal case that said that FFS was covered on the basis that for transgender females "passing is important for many for reduction in psychological symptoms as well as safety therefor medically indicated".  My hope is that based on that, facial hair removal "should" fall under the same argument.  lots more research to do.  If there's no case law specifically for it, it might be worth attempting and if IRS flags it, having a legal case argued just to help the cause.
    • Jandi
      I used to refuse any automatic payment things myself - I'm from the old land-line days.  It made me feel like someone (or something) else was in control.  But I kept forgetting to prepay my phone, and then they did offer a discount, so I just figured what the hell.  I mean it's not like anything is really hack-free.  I use a credit card so if anything suspicious happens I'll see it on the statement.  Anyhow, it keeps me from being surprised by a dead phone. And then last winter I had to have some surgeries.  I was staying with my daughter in another town and couldn't keep up with my mail and stuff (bills) so i switched what I could to auto pay.  I'm not crazy about it, but so far it's worked out okay.  
    •  Kylie
      @Emily michelle I have been a Nurse for 8 years now. Working in the Medical Field is wonderful. I will say many Healthcare Organizations value the Diversity and Inclusivity Especially with the LGTB+ community. I myself don’t really find myself involved in LGTB stuff, but have grown to love the aspect of how I have such supportive and interested coworkers.    As far as if you’re ‘smart enough’. Don’t weigh intelligence too much. I work along side many Nurses that dropped out of high school and college multiple times before ever finishing nursing school. Look at different career paths within Healthcare, you won’t regret it!   Kylie
    • Jackie C.
      Today was Lindsey Sterling (with Lzzy Hale). I wish I could move like that. On the other hand, oncoming traffic probably thought I was a crazy person dancing (badly) down the sidewalk.   Also some Mystery Skulls,   Hugs!
    • Carolyn Marie
      I am old (school) so I am usually reluctant to sign up for automatic payments for anything.  There are a couple of exceptions.  I change passwords and credit card numbers often enough to make it very tedious to have to remember which auto payments I'm signed up for and change them out.   So I buy my stamps, lick my envelopes, and pray that the "Mail Goes Through" on time.  Even that is becoming less of a sure thing these days.  Some days I don't get my mail delivered until 9 p.m.   Carolyn Marie
    • Carolyn Marie
      The last time I read up on it, which admittedly was several years ago, it was considered a cosmetic procedure by the IRS.  I have not heard of any change.  Breast enhancement surgery for MtF and mastectomies for FtM are usually allowable deductions if one gets documentation from medical providers that it was medically necessary.   That said, the cost of medical procedures must still exceed the percentage of income (usually 7%) in order to be deducted, and finally, one must be able to itemize deductions, which is a more difficult threshold to get past than it was prior to Trump's big tax changes from a couple of years ago.   So, as usual, it depends.  Please talk to your tax advisor to be sure.  I am not a tax accountant, nor do I play one on T.V.  🤣   Carolyn Marie
    • Dinaki
      ...and another song called Je Veux
    • Dinaki
      I am listenning at ZAZ   Les Passants
  • Upcoming Events