• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Did being on hrt change your views on whether or not you decided to have surgerical procedures or not. .over time....

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator

i am already thinking ahead to have surgeries...but i wondered how and if you changed your views about having surgery .  either to have them or to have them....after being on hrt for some time...

• Forum Moderator

No to the question HRT was only a part of the equation in my personal decision to complete GCS. Living in the role told me the surgery was in my best interests. Now 4 years later I can look back and say, yeah, I made the right choice ! One glaring benefit was not having to take an anti androgen....

The answers to this question will vary greatly with the individual Shay

Hugs

Cyndee

• Forum Moderator

I bet - I have already decided I want the surgery for just that reason - when I am eliglible like in a year or so - and that decision has been reached by just ridding myself of the light beard and my steps to vocal feminization and starting to buy "sensible" new clothes and actually taking care to learn how to use make up and face care. That never happened as a guy

• Admin

HRT did help clear my mind about what I needed, but it was not the hormones by themselves.  The decision to take them was more important by a factor of several points. If I was determined enough to take the 'mone's I was over the hump blocking me from what I needed to do, which was Transition.  The most important issue was the decision to change my name legally.  GCS had been in the original package but I went back and forth a couple of times and had one surgeon tell me I was too risky to be his patient based on age and some other medical conditions.  It was a year later that I went ahead with another surgeon to whom my age and medical conditions did not present a problem.  I have no regrets about having had it, but I will not cheer-lead anyone toward surgery who has not made it a goal, but even there I will not make their mind up for them. 

• Forum Moderator

I was always fairly sure that I would have GRS.  I knew my life as a woman would be easier without a bulge, but getting rid of it wasn't a life-or-death thing for me, the way it is for some.  If someone had told me that I couldn't have surgery, I would have been disappointed, but not devastated.

As HRT increased my ability to "pass", the bulge became the feature that ruined the overall picture.  Yes, HRT made the bulge smaller, and I got pretty good at tucking, but I still wanted it gone. 

If my features had remained so masculine that passing was impossible, I might not have bothered with the surgery.  But the HRT fairy was kind to me, and I wanted to make the most of her handiwork.

I think that kind of answers your question.  There was no "aha" moment where I suddenly realized that I had to do it.  It was just a gentle confirmation that my original direction was the right one for me.

• Forum Moderator

I wondered about real life decisions because I approach HRT and can't wait and the more I think about it - my NP said that she has had a lot of patients go in both directions and I wondered what you real ladies went through and so far it seems like such common ground...

• Forum Moderator
31 minutes ago, Shay said:

because I approach HRT and can't wait and the more I think about it

I think this is typical @Shay.  At the beginning of this journey we start to see the possibilities and want to race forward.  After being on hormones for a while your brain may (will) slow down and you will think about this in a more linear manner.  I know I did.  Make no mistake, I still wanted to get it done soon but I realized and appreciated why I needed get all the boxes checked.  Emotionally its a big deal, and a point of no return (not to confused with "point of know return") :)

• Forum Moderator

ah... Kansas.... sweet band... I had a song called Weariness that was played back to back with Carry On Wayward Son.....loved the album Point of No Return... but I digress.....

• Forum Moderator
25 minutes ago, Shay said:

... but I digress.....

Yes, sorry about that.  It just popped into my head.  

Remember you are just at the beginning of this trip and you will see that assuming this role you have dreamed of can actually be difficult.  Take this time to observe and learn.  It will be time well spent. 

Jani 

• Forum Moderator

thank you --- I will --- and I feel so warm and comforted knowing you and the other ladies who have been there and are willing to be my guides means a GREAT DEAL....?

I am on the fence regarding surgery. I am taking a wait and see approach. I plan on waiting to hit the 2 year mark on HRT to see how I feel and how much the HRT feminizes my body. If I ever get comfortable enough with my body to wear a swimsuit, I think it will likely be a major deciding factor for bottom surgery.

• Forum Moderator

GCS was on my "to-do" list from the start. While I was nervous about the potential for mishaps (and there are many, many things that can go sideways), I knew that it was something I needed. The state government here helped a little with that because we have a rule that without the GCS and a doctor's note, we can't change the gender markers on permanent documents (Social Security and Birth Records). That also included your driver's license until September of last year.

I'm still on the fence about breast augmentation. I keep reminding myself that I was a late bloomer the first time around. There's no reason to expect puberty two to be any different.

I was on the fence about FFS early on. I didn't know if I was going to need it. Seeing myself in the mirror now makes me happy, so FFS isn't on the agenda. I may not be a knockout, but I'm happy with the way I look.

Except for the breast thing. Also my butt could fill out more. I'm pretty sure those are normal girl feelings though. I'm honestly at peace.

Hugs!

I am pretty sure I want to start HRT at some point (but therapy first).  I am currently not considering bottom surgery but I assume it could possibly change later.  I am more like @SaraAW and that I would want to be on HRT long enough to feel/see the results before I commit beyond.
But great question Shay.  Thanks for asking!

21 hours ago, Shay said:

ah... Kansas.... sweet band.

One of my all time favorite bands.  I saw them in concert back in the 70s in their heyday.  It was awesome❣️

• Forum Moderator

thank you Kay  have to tell you a little story about  Kansas  the first time i saw them was not longer after their first album. they and Queen were double billed at my college U of Toledo.

i was working on the college newspaper and guitarist Ric Williams came in our office asking how to get to the dressing room. we told him and as he was walking out, a drunk college kid asked him where the bathroom was and he told him to just stand in the corner of the hall and piss. no onw would notice .  

1 hour ago, Shay said:

Ric Williams

LOL!!  that's really funny story.

Rich Williams had two stage costumes .. either a full tux, or hayseed coveralls.  I saw him perform in both.  Great guitarist!

• Forum Moderator

Yes - at the U of Toledo he was in overalls the next time I saw him was in Cleveland and he had on tux and was using one of the really cool acoustic guitar holders so he could play electric and walk over to the acoustic that was set at his guitar height and play it and not have to switch guitars. I wonder if they still make those...

The whole band was multi-instrument talented.  Well... I guess we should've moved this to the Who Was Your Favorite band(?) post.. .

?HAH❣️
(but enjoyed the chat!)

• Forum Moderator

you bet...tootles

So I've been on hormones for just about 9 months now, and with that have been some pretty drastic changes across the board. Because I came out long before I was able to start HRT I learned to be comfortable in my own skin, and I was fortunate to be able to pass in most settings even before I started. Downstairs, I feel like before HRT I was pretty comfortable with what I have, and having a penis might not have been ideal but I was ok with keeping it because I didn't have much of a choice. So I guess that I always thought of having SRS as some long off and lofty goal, a want rather than a need. Before starting HRT I had several sexual encounters with people only interested in me for that part of me, but now that I've been on estrogen (and maybe because I've developed some standards) that kind of objectification and glorification of being a girl with a dick isn't really comfortable for me anymore. As my sex drive has changed with HRT now I want SRS sooner rather than later in my life, and part of that comes from wanting to be seen for more than just what's between my legs. 

• Forum Moderator

When I started medically transitioning with HRT 22 months ago, I wanted GRS. Truthfully though, I was scared to death of the surgery and unless something changed I would not go through with it. Sometime around 12 months in that all changed.  Speaking with others who have successfully had it done and seeing how it transformed their life in a positive way, I started realizing I needed surgery for my own well being. In a similar way that I overcame the fear of the changes that I’d experience with HRT, my fear of surgery also diminished to a point where I am very excited about having surgery now. The HRT did help me realize I was on the right path.

Susan R?

11 hours ago, Rorelai said:

As my sex drive has changed with HRT now I want SRS sooner rather than later in my life, and part of that comes from wanting to be seen for more than just what's between my legs. 

That's one of the perspectives I was wondering about.  Thank you for sharing Rorelai❣️

• Forum Moderator

I am already saving for that day....SRS and/or GRS - whichever you prefer....

Saving now is a great idea, even if you decide not to have surgery, you'll have yourself a nice little nest egg to treat yourself.

Me really would like to have the gcs but then just afraid of the doctors slipping up or something going wrong at my age is kind of taking a chance but really would love to just can't get over the doctor thing yet not much trust in doctors in my lifetime except my doctor now shes wonderful and helping me with hrt.....just been 9 mths so got time but then the older I get ....

• Forum Moderator

@Andrea Jean while there are no guarantees in life the odds of a doctor "slipping up" during surgery are slim.  As to something going wrong, that is the purpose of all the qualifications we have to go through.  I was 63 when I went under the knife and a good friend had it done at 72.  There is no perfect solution but as long as we understand the risks involved and believe in the medical team we choose we should be ok.  Its just doing Due Diligence.