• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Katetrue

I find myself getting deeper and deeper 

Into my gender dysphoria. 

And I ask myself if I was to transition .

Am I to old to ?

Don’t think you’re to old at  any age. I’ve started at 39 and I am just in the middle of the pack somewhere. There are many here that transitioned much later. 

• Forum Moderator

Nah, you're not much older than I am and I'm hardly the youngest here. You need to do what makes you happy.

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

You are certainly not too old.  I started living as my true self at 61.  I know others who started much later.  We're all very happy.  Your dysphoria will not go away and may actually get worse.  When it comes to the question of transition, the answer is to go as far as you need to feel good about yourself.  This is a "self directed" tour!  You get to decide how far is enough.  We're here to help, listen, offer advise and support.  

Jani

You can transition at any age @Katetrue! I know several other trans people in my personal life and we've all had different journeys. Interestingly enough, my boss and I both came out around the same time in 2017, although I was 18 and she was in her 50s (of course we didn't know each other at the time because she was working at another institution when I first started there). I don't think either one of us would say we regret coming out. Although I don't believe that passing should be the only goal we strive for as trans people, if anyone sees us walking down the street they'd only see two women going about their business. Don't let your age or comparisons of yourself to others (both other trans people and cis people) hold you back from being your true self!

Hi Kate!
Nice to meet you and Welcome!

As you've probably already discovered many of us here are way past our "prime" (?) and just getting started... myself included.  There's no wrong time, or too late ... unless it's tooooo late (if you know what I mean?).

You will find a lot of encouragement and experiences here to help build your confidence.  Also, everybody recommends gender therapy specially at this stage.  I just started and I recommend it also.

Deep breaths ... one step at a time❣️

9 hours ago, Jani said:

You are certainly not too old.  I started living as my true self at 61.  I know others who started much later.  We're all very happy.  Your dysphoria will not go away and may actually get worse.  When it comes to the question of transition, the answer is to go as far as you need to feel good about yourself.  This is a "self directed" tour!  You get to decide how far is enough.  We're here to help, listen, offer advise and support.  

Jani

Thank you so much . That helps what you've got to say . I feel I want to transition cus my life seems to be running away . And I've got 3 girls all grown up .and they all know about my issues .but its put away like it doesnt exist . And I look at my wife and other woman .and think to myself I would love my own boobs . And to be me all the time . And the things I have to do in male mode . Just everything Male irritates me . Cus it's just not me . And it feel like walls are closing in . And I'm forgotten.  No one cares how I feel .

And I feel I'm going nuts . And the frustration is immense. 

Edited by VickySGV
Combined posts
  • Forum Moderator

If you are frustrated and down about all this, then seek out a therapist to speak to.  I know the NHS has a waiting list that can be long but if you can afford to go private, even for a few sessions I think you would start to feel better about yourself.

Jani 

My two cents (as my American says), I am perhaps the oldest in this community.

I became a woman in 1977 and I am 62 years young now (time surely flies faster than the speed of Concorde), oh well!

6 hours ago, Jani said:

If you are frustrated and down about all this, then seek out a therapist to speak to.  I know the NHS has a waiting list that can be long but if you can afford to go private, even for a few sessions I think you would start to feel better about yourself.

Jani 

Thank you Jani

I did see a councillor for six sessions 

A few years back . And on the 6 session she said there was no point in me coming anymore cus you know what you want . She said she could see the female in me on the first session . And nobody has ever said that to me before .

But thank you . I know I want to transition it's just the collateral damage that goes with it .

Dinaki

Thank you and yes time does so fly 

Well all I can say is you look very nice 

And lovely and definitely 62 young .

Not old 

Thank you all of you for your thoughts and advice which is lovely and I take on board cus your all lovely . And all know what your talking about . So I guess I'm not too old. To you all  xxx

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, Dinaki said:

My two cents (as my American says), I am perhaps the oldest in this community.

I became a woman in 1977 and I am 62 years young now (time surely flies faster than the speed of Concorde), oh well!

At 62, @Dinaki, you are certainly not the oldest.  I was 62 when I started HRT and started living full-time as myself.  I am 65 now.  And I know I am not the oldest.

@Katetrue, only you can decide whether, when, how, and how much to transition.  But there is no such thing as too old.  You have the rest of your life to enjoy.  Make it good.

• Forum Moderator
21 hours ago, Jani said:

This is a "self directed" tour!

well said ! @Jani

Myself, I started things 10 years ago at 51, and found happiness and contentment today, the journey was so worth it ! Life continues to evolve today on many levels.....

It's an individual experience Kate, with many commonalities of others here, that's why we are here to share....

do enjoy your life to it's fullest

C

• Forum Moderator

Kate - it is NEVER to late as they say - I am 68 and the door has finally opened for me to become the me I've always wanted to be and these ladies here have helped TREMENDOUSLY. In 1-1/2 months I've come out to 2 friends, my wife, talked to my family doctor, took all the blood tests needed, found a wonderful LGBTQ health service, interviewed, recieved go ahead, been on HRT for a week, shaved off the little beard I've been hiding behind (50 years in beard - it went 4 weeks ago) and my outlook and disphoria eased so much - I know I'm on the right path finally and accepting what I must do. And again I could not have done it without finding this incredible support group. Each and every one of these ladies have been through a lot in their lifetimes and many are similar in age - although I think I'm probably one of the OLDEST here and yet a newbie. I know you will like what you hear because they have been through it and relate to you and can help guide you - especially in your weakest moments.

Mental Hugs,

Heather Shay

You've all gone through different situations but you've all come out the other side . I know what I want and that is to transition . Which means I have a discisions to make when and how .

Dinaki

Thank you and yes time does so fly 

Well all I can say is you look very nice 

And lovely and definitely 62 young .

Not old 

• Forum Moderator

Speaking about old.  This hot grandma (grandie) went full time at 63 and at 72 i'm an old hottie, especially when we are in the middle of a heat wave.  These continue to be the best years of my life!

Oh yes therapy helped as did my time here.

Hugs,

Charlize

Thank you all I am feeling more positive 

About things now than I was .

Hugs 

Hiya...   Age has always fascinated me.   I have a held belief our real personality is within our mind...

Where age is purely physical.  I could fill you more in on my belief, but it might conflict with others beliefs.   Suffice to say age in itself hasn' t really been a concern for me.   more a fastenation.. If anyone wants to know more...maybe a suitable section of the forum and i will let you all know more..it will be very deep in meaning and you might be curious to know more...

Best Regards

Melissa

• Admin

Probably 50 was my full realization of what my gender issues were to become.  11 years of Cross Dressing (61) and they had not been resolved.  72 now and I am about as far into resolution as I am going to go, and may in minor ways backing off on some things. (I am no longer as binary as I was for a while.) A person I was talking to a bit ago in a therapy group on line a bit ago (I was patient level)  will be 3 years older than I am in a month and going great. 

On 7/19/2020 at 3:17 AM, Katetrue said:

Thank you so much . That helps what you've got to say . I feel I want to transition cus my life seems to be running away . And I've got 3 girls all grown up .and they all know about my issues .but its put away like it doesnt exist . And I look at my wife and other woman .and think to myself I would love my own boobs . And to be me all the time . And the things I have to do in male mode . Just everything Male irritates me . Cus it's just not me . And it feel like walls are closing in . And I'm forgotten.  No one cares how I feel .

And I feel I'm going nuts . And the frustration is immense. 

I understand everything you are saying and feeling. I just came out at 53 with my plan to fully transition.  I can't imagine continuing another 20-40 years living this lie so.....   Do what's right and true for you. You deserve it.

• Forum Moderator

Fully agree - I'm 68 and finally preparing to have the full transition - started HRT recently and haven't felt this good in so long I can't remember and the tension and constant disphoria has really lightened up. Let you inner child guide the way

Thank you for that . And its true how many years do you keep going on as you are . And not who you realy are .

Not being true to yourself forever is a long time