• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Do my scars look normal?

AcanOfBeans

[CW pretty gross looking scar pics]

I am around 5 weeks post op.

My doctor told me to use bio oil on my scars and after the first treatment I had to stop because my scars got really bad.

Little pockets of white and bloody pus formed along the scars and now they are leaking a clear yellowish fluid like my nipple graphs are constantly. 

I've been using antibiotic ointment and a vaseline based healing ointment on them multiple times a day, they have some applied on them in the pics that's why it's wet looking.

20200730_120743.jpg

20200730_120705.jpg

• Forum Moderator

I would definitely call your doctor.  I imagine you might even be able to message them a picture.  Post op infections can be an issue.  

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, AcanOfBeans said:

Little pockets of white and bloody pus formed along the scars and now they are leaking a clear yellowish fluid like my nipple graphs are constantly. 

That is not a good sign. Absolutely contact your doctor like @Charlize recommends. Send pictures. You should also feel your scar tissue and around the incisions. Does it feel warm? If it does, call your doctor and see what they think about urgent care. Infections around the surgical site are no joke.

Hugs!

I sent the pics to the doctor's receptionist who forwarded them to his nurse. The nurse said I shouldn't be putting bio oil on it yet and doesn't know what the doc told me to. They told me to just keep putting antibiotic ointment on it.

I'm honestly really questioning the doctor who did my surgery.

• Forum Moderator

While my doctor didn't recommend any oils (I asked about Vitamin E oil) my wife's surgeon recommended it after the scars had healed sufficiently.  Its never good to introduce anything to open or healing wounds.   Its possible you misheard your doctor.  Have faith.  

Hugs, Jani

I 100% didn't mishear him. There's been several things that have made me question if he actually knows what he's doing.

He kept trying to insist on thebkeyhole procedure when my chest size was waaaay too large for that, he didn't let me choose at all how I wanted my chest to look, right before surgery while he drew marks on he he did no kind of measuring, just eyeballed it all and it's pretty obviously crooked now.

I found out after surgery that he has done several botches top surgeries on people as well.

• Forum Moderator

*Clutches her chest protectively* That sounds absolutely ghastly. I hope it evens out a little as it heals.

Hugs!

Definitely sounds like a bad doctor. Do you mind sharing his name? I don't know what area of the country you're in, but I want to be sure I avoid him at all costs when it's time for my top surgery.

It does sound (and kind of look) infected. Sometimes a small bit clear or slightly red tinted fluid can be okay, but pus or more opaque/thick stuff is not good. As stated above extra heat in the area can also be a sign of infection. You may also want to watch your body temperature. If you don't trust your surgeon to give you good advise you may want to consult your general practice doctor. Ask about rinsing with a saline solution or using hibiclens (antibacterial and antimicrobial soap) in the area. These are things we generally use when one of our animals gets a nasty cut (I live on a farm), but make sure they are safe for incisions and your specific healing stage before using. We also use betadine, but I think that's more for cuts than incisions. I would recommend avoiding using oils/creams besides antibiotic ones or neosporin because bacteria tend to love warm, moist environments. You may also want to ask the doctor about giving the incision time to breathe without bandages. The use of all of these depends very much on your stage of healing so I'm not recommending you use these tips, but they are things you may want to ask your doctor about.

Also, this is kind of a personal thing, but I try to avoid Vaseline and things that contain mineral oil because they are both derived from petroleum. Some natural alternatives for when you're healed and start the scar treatment process could be shea butter (it's high in antioxidants and omega-3's) and/or grape seed oil (it's high in vitamin E). Sort of an "if you wouldn't put in your body, why would you put it on your body" type thing. 

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. Please feel free to reach out if you need anyone to talk to.

My general doctor refused to see me since this is related to a surgery and could be considered a complication of it. Got ahold of the nurse of my surgeon and she said it looks like an allergic reaction to the bio oil. It's been 7 days since I used the oil originally and started having the reaction, stopped having fluid drainage the other day and now am left with the worst hives I have ever had. From my shoulder, along the sides of my chest, and down to right above my belly button itches like hell. There is no infection but my body sure as hell did not like something in the bio oil.

• Admin

Just keep bugging your surgeon to take care of this, hon.  If you want you can ask for a second opinion, but please do so sooner rather than later

((HUGS)).

Carolyn Marie

OMG Totally do what Carolyn said and if he refuse to see you get a lawyer or at least talk to one. or tell your doc your getting one if he dose not see right away

And what up with your general Doc. What a (Dick- Richard) move. I  would report him to the medical board. Jes your obviously in pain and he tells you to go F yrself Cause his/ she is afraid of a lawsuit...God this people make me sick.. 

Please take of yourself...Get a second opp and seek consul   

I'm glad the drainage is better. I feel like the main things that could have caused a reaction in bio oil are the mineral oil or the soybean oil unless you are allergic to specific flowers. I know some people with food allergies also have them if they touch their skin. Are you able to take benadryl for the hives or are you still on the pain meds?

I've been taking benadryl but it's only helped for about 2 hours before I'm itchy again. I got stuff to take an oatmeal bath and that had helped a bit as well as piling on hydrocortisone whenever it starts to feel itchy.

I'm assuming I'm allergic to one of the flowers cause I know I have no issue with mineral oil (I use scalp oil and that's the main ingredient). It seems like the hives are starting to go away little by little, the other day was the worst with it but now it's calming down a bit. The doctors here are useless so I'm just gonna continue with home treatment.

Here's how it looks today. Im bruised cause I scratch in my sleep and haven't found a way to stop that aside from taking like 4 benadryl before bed and putting on a bunch of hydrocortisone. Luckily my scars don't itch because I have nerve damage and can't feel them.

20200805_111855.jpg