• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Tax write off: Electrolysis?

Bri2020

Anyone know whether facial electrolysis is a qualified medical expense for transgender people for tax purposes?  If i'm going to spend 10s of thousands I am hoping to at least find a tax break

• Admin

The last time I read up on it, which admittedly was several years ago, it was considered a cosmetic procedure by the IRS.  I have not heard of any change.  Breast enhancement surgery for MtF and mastectomies for FtM are usually allowable deductions if one gets documentation from medical providers that it was medically necessary.

That said, the cost of medical procedures must still exceed the percentage of income (usually 7%) in order to be deducted, and finally, one must be able to itemize deductions, which is a more difficult threshold to get past than it was prior to Trump's big tax changes from a couple of years ago.

So, as usual, it depends.  Please talk to your tax advisor to be sure.  I am not a tax accountant, nor do I play one on T.V.  ?

Carolyn Marie

1 hour ago, Carolyn Marie said:

The last time I read up on it, which admittedly was several years ago, it was considered a cosmetic procedure by the IRS.  I have not heard of any change.  Breast enhancement surgery for MtF and mastectomies for FtM are usually allowable deductions if one gets documentation from medical providers that it was medically necessary.

That said, the cost of medical procedures must still exceed the percentage of income (usually 7%) in order to be deducted, and finally, one must be able to itemize deductions, which is a more difficult threshold to get past than it was prior to Trump's big tax changes from a couple of years ago.

So, as usual, it depends.  Please talk to your tax advisor to be sure.  I am not a tax accountant, nor do I play one on T.V.  ?

Carolyn Marie

Thanks.  My google searches all had stuff from 2015 or earlier.  I have no problem with itemization, small biz owner so... also I'm discovering how much out of pocket all of this is running so reaching 7% isn't gonna be a problem, especially if electrolysis is covered.  I saw a reference in a legal case that said that FFS was covered on the basis that for transgender females "passing is important for many for reduction in psychological symptoms as well as safety therefor medically indicated".  My hope is that based on that, facial hair removal "should" fall under the same argument.  lots more research to do.  If there's no case law specifically for it, it might be worth attempting and if IRS flags it, having a legal case argued just to help the cause.