• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I SAW A PSYCHIATRIST

Sophie Watson

So on Monday I completed another step in my journey to become a woman!

I saw a psychiatrist who promptly diagnosed me with Gender Dysphoria after a very intense tear filled session about not being comfortable in my body. 

We discussed how I feel about my own body, how I cope with sex. My sexuality, what I have done to deal with my dysphoria. It was very invasive and personal. 

If anybody has any questions about the appointment I'm happy to answer as I know many people here are still very early in there journey like me. 

I AM SO HAPPY! I can finally move forward with being comfortable in my own body 

Hi Sophie!

I'm Kora. Glad to hear your therapy session went well! Well... As well as a couple hours of crying and intrusive questions can be. ?

Like you, I am also very early in transition, bout 3-4 months out the closet and living part time as a woman without regard of how well I can (or cant) pass. Looking forward to seeing a therapist soon and have one picked out. As soon as I can get an appointment scheduled and pay for it... If you could tell me more about you're experience I would  be glad for any details you could share about how you're appointment went. Obviously whatever you don't feel comfortable sharing is totally fine left out. Lol. I'm mostly curious about the mode and format of how it went. Like how did the first 5 minutes go? Who started the conversation and set the subject at first?  

@QuoraQ Thank you for reaching out. So to answer your questions:

Q: How did the first 5 minutes go?

A: The psychiatrist asked what I'm looking to achieve from this appointment. I advised him I'm looking to get a diagnosis of Gender Dysphoria. I then went on to explain why the diagnosis is important how I've been feeling leading up to the appointment. 

Q: Mode and Format?

A: I dressed as myself. The format of the appointment was in sections. We spoke about how Dysphoria effects me day to day. How I manage it and if it works. We discussed sex and sexuality. 

Leading up the appointment the PA at the office told me to think of it like an interview. 

RULE ONE OF ANY INTERVIEW 

Dress for the job you want 

I actually did get the Diagnosis I was expecting! 

I made a video about the experience which is here 

But obviously any questions you have I'm happy to answer here no matter how personal. :)