• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Study: HRT May Lead to Higher Risk of Porphyria

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator
Charlize

It seems from reading this article that it is caused by using too much E.  Smoking appears to be a factor as well.  Perhaps this is one reason why i was told that i should not smoke again.  In my case i certainly didn't want to get hooked again anyway!  

Certainly another reason to be careful and work with an experienced doctor.  

Hugs,

Charlize

I'm not on HRT yet, but I wonder if any of our Members have experienced some of the side-effects mentioned?  Acne, skin issues (sun blisters?), skin darkening?  (the changes in hair distribution seem a normal effect)

Its good to know these symptoms I think, specially if just starting HRT or a change in therapy ?

Yikes, I am already very sensitive to the sun. Not a full blown allergy, but highly sensitive. I do not go outside without a good slathering off sun block. 

I am glad that the authors stressed the importance of ensuring that the potential for this side effect was carefully balanced against the need for gender affirming care. 

Kay, I already had skin issues related to the sun, so I avoid it as much as possible; that being said, I haven’t noticed any increase in sensitivity at 8 months on hrt. I can tell you, that in general, my skin is less oily and as result, the blackheads and acne I had have almost cleared up entirely. 

Tory Aoi

Hmm, I do tend to burn easily, but I avoid excessive sun and use sunscreen often anyways.  As I never smoked, hopefully that helps me out as well.

Alexxiss

My doc is extra-cautious. So seeing as the woman was bumped from 0mg Progesterone/Day to XXmg/D and from XXmg to XXmg Oral Est/D is incredibly alarming. It appears to be no wonder what with her daily smoking and 2 beers/D for a month and this "supratherapeutics" that her regimen became injurious. It alarms me that the articles find her jump from XXmg/D to XXmg/D to be "within published guidelines," implying that such a drastic change is advisable, especially to this high risk patient. I also find it sad that the women chose to continue smoking and drinking despite doctors advising against whilst they pulled her HRT and subverted it with XXMG Hydroxychloroquine. It would appear she has underlying substance issues not involved with HRT or PCT.

Thanks for the read Carolyn Marie! I had fun with this one.

Edited by Jani
Discussion of Dosages not allowed despite being cited in the attached article.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 73 Guests (See full list)

• Aidan5
    • Heathick
    • Jeanette West
    • Jackie C.
    • Charlize
    • Mary Jane
    • Becoming Jordan
    • Victoria94
    • DeeDee
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Melissa B.
    Newest Member
    Melissa B.

1. Jodiv
      Jodiv
      (58 years old)
    2. starlight.wishes
      starlight.wishes
    • Aidan5
      Being completely honest, I am feeling trapped, drained and powerless.    I just came to terms that my parents won't let me move until I'm 18. Everyday lectures are draining my energy and will to do anything. I'm expected to preform at 100% everyday and they only give me 3 hours for school each day. I'm really stressing and they are expecting straight A's, which I have at the moment but I'm scared of even getting a B. I couldn't sleep last night and caffeine doesn't work on me, it's just makes me calm. I miss being in person for school because I had support but now I have nothing, of course online helps a lot but it's limited. I just feel cornered and blehhh.  
    • Mary Jane
      ok and thank you! 😄
    • Victoria94
      Well DeeDee The first 15 minutes was really akward and all I could think of was "what have I done" But after that the talk went really well. The worries went away as we talked a little about the topic and switched to another topic for a little while and then back. It was like just any other conversation. Im a bit scared but I feel a sligth relief as some weigths have been lifted off.   Victoria
    • DeeDee
      Victoria, that is wonderful news! You still have your friend, plus he may prove to be a real help for you moving forwards. I'll bet that 2hrs just flew past!
    • DeeDee
      ❤️🧡❤️ Amazing,now you know that both parents are supportive Amber, deep breaths!
    • Dinaki
      Some of us have started the transition when we were very young and had the surgery also at a young age, and not after a man was married to woman ( one or two times) and also having children and grandchildren,then he decides to transition at age 60+...   Face, hands, body, voice etc... were not developed  yet to become as a man and with the hormones, our body fully changed to that woman you see  and admire.  Myself included and many other ladies that I know, have not touched our face surgically ( feminization). Later in life, we may have went under the knife to perhaps have “the French beauty” ( Bardot, Gabor, Lauren etc).   Thats my answer to the OP and Shay dear, we are not fake, that was bold for you to say that!  
    • Mmindy
      I'm listening to all my Mac Davis downloadeds because he set the tone for my teenage years. 
    • Bobbie Scott
      Bri,I think you look great. 
    • Bobbie Scott
      Pretty outfit. 🥰
    • Reverie_Star
      Let me know if you need a co or partner usually on around 10 est most days
    • Shay
      Being like us is not easy and it takes all of us to support us - when you're down look here and you'll find someone to help - when you're up do the same for another one of us who is down. BOTH will make you feel better. Hug
    • QuestioningAmber
      Well I finally got both responses in.   I feel like my mom gave her usual unconditional love statement, however, she is really nervous I can tell about the idea of me transitioning and what it means for me. I know it comes from a place of love, it just a thing where I am not worried about it because if I am not me, how can I be happy. So I think there is some work there that is going to have to take place.   My dad says he understands how this has probably tormented me for so long. He sounds very supportive and is being kind of inquisitive with me. He has kind of stepped on a few land mines (some questions that I right now just gloss over). I think he will be supportive of the transition.   Now that the first round is done, I think it is time to reflect and decide on when to execute the next round. I feel like it may be difficult to talk to my brothers about it, though one is estranged on his accord.
    •  Kylie
      happy Birthday Kathy!
    • Jandi
      Lately… Depressed and Drained.   Guess a bit like waiting for the other shoe to drop, but stubbornly holding on.
    • K.S.S
      I'm probably not one of the best people to take advice from, I also struggle with self harm. My first time trying was in fourth grade, with a piece of plastic that came off my hand-me-down binder. I hurt myself on and off all through school just because I liked feeling pain I inflicted. But I got sloppy and when I got caught I tried to blame it on the neighborhood dogs and then I hid in the room I shared with my sister and one by one everyone in my family came in to talk to me. My sister cried and showed me hers and told me never to do it again because she'd kill me if she saw new ones. My father told me there were other ways to get attention, like asking for it and my mother... she just cried and hugged me and asked how she could make me better.  There will always be people who will not understand, like my father, and there will always be someone who just wants to help you. Even if they are not blood related, you are not alone and you will not be in trouble. Even if they have an angry reaction like my sister, it's just because they didn't realize it sooner and that makes them upset, because "they could've helped."  If you're looking for a reason to come out about it think about them because they will remember every instance where they thought there might be something wrong and they didn't ask and now they're upset because they didn't.    Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I think I got a little ramble-y at the end there. If you need someone to talk to let me know.    Warmly, K
  • Upcoming Events