• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Home electrolysis kits

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator

I am using laser emulating at home but it isn't doing what I hoped after 5 weeks every other day.

I know the costs of electrolysis are quite high and I saw some electrolysis kits on Amazon and wondered if anyone had any luck going that route?

Shay

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Heather Shay

• Maddee

• Jani

• Lexi C

Hi Heather Shay!

Just got my Braun IPL.  Tried it last night for the "patch test"... no major damage ?  I did definitely feel likes its working though, and very similar to the spa treatments I had before, maybe even stronger.

Braun recommends no more that 1 x per week (in the same areas) and not to expect to see obvious results for a couple of months.  Hoping that is true, but the patches I did last night do seem smoother than the surrounding areas today.

Hope your results start showing soon.  Guess its like watching grass grow (but in reverse) ?

I have not heard of at home electrolysis kits. I feel that would be such a specialized procedure that a trained hand should do it. But I did laser hair removal in a spa, so I’m not 100% sure what it consists of. How are the reviews?

• Forum Moderator

Haven't dug in yet what found concept might be interesting and less costly.

• Forum Moderator

@KayC guess I am just impatient...always a struggle for me. I guess I am doing it too often and the laser I have is similar to the Braun brand.

• Forum Moderator

There have been similar threads here in the past and no one has had a good review of these products.  I would recommend saving your money to use in professional help with real equipment. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Sorry.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

Thanks..if any one would know it would be you ladies...thanks....I have been watching Groupon...they have sales from time to time.

• Forum Moderator

There is a reason an Electrologist goes through hundreds of hours of training.  I honestly would not use a home treatment.  The real deal is time consuming and expensive but it is safe.  

• Forum Moderator

Thank you - tried to find out about local electrolysis and sent request - of course no response. Cleveland Clinic suggested several hair removal places so the search begins in Ernest today and I'm don't even know who Ernest is.....

Hair removal was my first priority.   My plan was to complete it before starting HRT and way before surgeries.  I would have, except I went ahead and had hair follicle transplants last year....  Which I love, despite it mixed up my priorities.

I was paying $60/hour for electro which seems normal price, as long as your buying larger blocks of time.  When things stopped in March, I was around $5000 in, plus around 50 hours labor bartered to my former electrologist.  I was going once a month since 2015. Usually 2 hours.

My current hair removal plan is saving up and waiting for Precision Hair Removal in IL to open back up for full face, multi tech, all day high volume clearings.  Not $26.  The tech there is highly recommended for backing up her claims with timely results on transwomen.  

If i knew for sure a good rep electro tech where I could go weekly and actually get cleared, I might consider moving there.  I've done a couple consults looking around.  But precision says they could clear me in five mega sessions every ten weeks.  I'm thinking maybe possible since I already had so much done.

One thought on home lasers/electro:

I am MUCH slower working on myself than a pro.  And this is a LONG project.

Hey Shay

Maybe its diff in Cali. But Medical is coving all my Elect cost. I go once a week for an hour with women name Saberena painful as F. But she said bye next( 200 hrs) yr my face will be done. Then i am hoping FFS,  and i am save up for hair implants. 

Also Group on is great. I laser my chest six session one a month for $240 package and the rest where awesome.

But look into medical or the V.A I heard the will cover the elect coast as well

• Forum Moderator

I found a local electrolysis girl who charges $25 for 15-30 minutes and thankfully I have never been very hairy so there really isn't a great deal. Hardly any chest hair and face mainly mustache area and a couple other small areas so thus looks like my one thankful genetics that I don't have a great deal to remove. At least one thing I lucked out with.

Hey Shay  

So if you insurance would not pay for and they should (its a huge part of most Trans dysphoria and it should be cover under medical need), cause you need this before you have FS.

But if your IPO doesn't want to cover it. I suggest Laser chest( unless your complete blond or gray the laser will not work on that type of hair) cause it so much more cheaper in the long run then elect. 

Also be careful about bargain adds. You get what  you pay for and you don't want to skim on hair remove...It is way to painful and tedious of process to get rip off.

Do your research, that what i did with my L.R for my chest. Group is prefect cause they have their own rating sys 

be safe, BE Proud and KICK ASS

• Forum Moderator

Will do...thank you

• Forum Moderator

Heather $25 for a short session should like a good deal.  You will need to work up to hour sessions though.  I buy packages for 5 hours and get one added for free.  I'm just about finished.  I have 275 hours on the table over 5 years at a bit over $14k.  Don't be afraid to ask for a package deal.  I've averaged out at $51/hr. 

• Forum Moderator

Holy cow...i hope being I don't have a lot of hair on face or chest that it wont be bunches of hours but I guess I will soon find out.

• Forum Moderator

This was on my face only!  I didn't have a full face of hair thankfully and no body hair.  Sorry TMI! 

• Forum Moderator

Well I hope Medicare takes care of surgery....electrolysis it going to take a lot of comic book sales....the graying hair doesn't help I guess. Maybe permanent flesh colored sharpies?

I have a home laser and it was a waste of money I wish I would have kept my money for laser. I’m on my second face laser and first chest laser. Even after the first time on my face the results were absolutely amazing. In the next couple of days I expect more hair to fall out.

Holy Hair Remove Batman. Jani Didn't your IPO cover the Elect...

Its a medical need. 14G's that a lot. 

I mean Medical is covering mine and i have about 300hrs altogether. I am at hr 50 now. Once a week for a hour. To tell you the truth that's all i can handle.

Also. Shay if your doing your BS( bottom surgery), your going to need laser or Elect and that's more expensive then FE cause its your privates, not to mention the special numb cream will need to purchase. 

Medicare or medical will take care of that as well. Once again, I getting it cover. I should have my referral for that starting in Oct. 1hr Once a month for 8 to 12 months i was told. 

• Forum Moderator

This is a long hard road but whatever it takes I will do it and get through. You are all my heroines

I think it's only Kaiser plans in some parts of California, OR and WA  that cover electro.  Maybe other places too?  Anyone know about these?  Thought maybe Massachusetts?  I'll move, but if I can't afford electro, than probably can't afford California or anywhere else since I'm coming apart inside now.

When I was making money I had 12 expensive painful laser sessions that did not remove the dark hair on my face.  Ripped off waste of a year. 

My old electrolgist let me trade 3 hours labor per hour of electro or it was $60/hr.  She listened to the same six piano songs over and over and preached religion on me while she fried my face, doing damage that hopefully someone else can fix one day.

Concerns coming up with bottom clearing for GCS.  The surgery clinic I'm talking to requires genital hair removal, but the only clinic they have that can pre authorize this hair clearing for insurance only does laser.   Laser is not permanent hair removal.  It only does the darker hairs.   In my case it doesn't even clear those apparently.  Electro is permanent.  It clears all color hair.  This would be effective for their surgery requirement, no?

Nothing makes sense.