• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Coping with my wife's diagnosis

Tory Aoi

Because 2020 didn't have enough bad news, my wife recently received very grim news for us.  Back in early August she had a pap smear done, it came back with abnormal cells.  They ran some tests, thought it was pre-cancerous.  Near the end of August they did surgery to attempt to remove those cells, only to find what confirmed our worst fears.  It is actually cervical cancer.  Right now to the best of our knowledge it isn't too widespread, but we are still awaiting the results of the PET-CT scan that was done earlier this week to confirm that.  Regardless, she is going to be starting up radiation and chemotherapy as soon as early next week.

There's a ton of emotions I'm grappling with these days, and having just started HRT only recently those emotions are definitely turned up a few notches.  I'm feeling so much worry, dread, and anxiety unlike anything I've ever felt before.  I'm managing, doing the best I can, hoping for the best but the worst lingers in the back of my mind.  I'll be talking more with my therapist today about this, I'm sure that will at least help.  Just curious if anyone else here has had to deal with these sorts of things, and what advice you may have for me?  It would be very welcome.

@Tory Aoi, I'm so sorry to read this very sad news about your wife's Cancer. I know all of us here at TransPulseForums are sending you and her our best and largest positive loving energy for a positive treatment and outcome.

#CancerSucks!

Hugs for you both,

Mindy🙏💖🙏

• Forum Moderator

OK, deep breaths. My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer while I was still trying to neglect myself to death and we had another scare earlier this year (which, fortunately, turned out to be nothing).

So. My advice to you is to let yourself feel everything you need to feel, but take it one day at a time. Do not let yourself scurry down the rabbit hole of "What If." That will make you crazy. Take each step as it comes. Offer your love and support as best you can. I would sit with my spouse during her chemo sessions and keep her company, but I'm guessing that's not allowed right now. Your wife will feel terrible. Give her some extra TLC whenever you can. She needs to know that you're there for her and you both need to remember that there's hope.

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

We certainly dealt with these emotions when my spouse was diagnosed with breast cancer.  We all deal with news like this in a personal way.  It brought us closer.  Six years later we went through it again when I was diagnosed.  We both had surgery with my spouse having radiation and chemotherapy as well.  It has been successful for both of us. I trust your wife is receiving the best possible care and will do well.  

Hugs, Jani

Thank you for the kind words, it really does help.

On 9/18/2020 at 8:47 AM, Jackie C. said:

I would sit with my spouse during her chemo sessions and keep her company, but I'm guessing that's not allowed right now.

I've wondered if they'll let me sit with her, too.  I understand given the current situation if they don't but I can still hope.  Or if they could allow her to video conference me in somehow, but that's not really the same either.

Bobbie Scott

Sorry for what your wife is going through. But like Jacki and Jani said, be there for her. I'm sure she's scared. And definitely don't go down the what if rabbit hole,and get caught up in morbid reflection. I went through a scare myself this year. I know it's easier said than done. I'll definitely keep you in my prayers. God bless you and your wife. 

We did get some good news this morning.  We talked with the doctor that will be taking care of radiation therapy for my wife, and he said he got to review the results of the PET-CT scan which he concluded that the tumor hasn't spread and that he is very confident that it can be cured over the course of the next several weeks.  That is definitely a big relief to know, at least.

1 hour ago, Tory Aoi said:

We did get some good news this morning. 

@Tory Aoi That is good news, I'm happy for the two of you as you comfort her through treatment.

I also received good new from the Neurology Department my MRI came back within normal parameters, my Tremors are more inline with Central Tremors, and not Parkinson's Disease. Adjusting when I take my daily meds should help with the tremors, and a glass or two of wine will ease them in the evening before going to bed.

Positive thought and energy for you and your wife.

Mindy🐛🌈🦋

• 1 month later...

Been a while so here's an update with some more good news.

We just finished week 4 of chemo and radiation therapy.  We were scheduled for 5 weeks for this, but there were 3 days over the course of the past few weeks where the radiation machine broke and our appointment was cancelled, so radiation treatments have been extended into a 6th week.  That's ok, I think.

My wife's health is doing great, she has of course experienced the classic nausea symptoms mostly on the weekends, she's had some tired days, but otherwise managing pretty good.  The doctor was very pleased with the progress as he told us earlier this week that the tumor has shrunk by about 50%.

It is nice to see a light at the end of this tunnel, and I am grateful for everyone's support.  Thank you!

Emily michelle

That is great news Tori I hope it continues with good news!

Sally Stone

Great news Tori.  Hugs to you and your wife.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 75 Guests (See full list)

• MaryEllen
    • Ms Maddie
    • MiloR
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

MaedFrost
    Newest Member
    MaedFrost

1. 12amCritter
      12amCritter
      (20 years old)
    2. MistyMinx15
      MistyMinx15
      (42 years old)
    • Sarahnr1
      Im glad youre starting  to come back my friend . trying to hide or suppress  youre inner  feelings   dont work  i can tell you that  my friend  . it only comes  back and  bite you in youre  ... when you least espect  it  . You have to deal with it  right away.  
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://goqnotes.com/68261/medicaid-lawsuit-filed-in-w-va-on-transgender-healthcare-coverage/     Carolyn Marie
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.forbes.com/sites/mollysprayregen/2020/11/25/trans-can-works-vp-of-programming-on-fostering-an-inclusive-workplace/?sh=666027ce6c83     I'm proud to call Drian Juarez a friend and former colleague.  She has done extremely well for herself and for our community, and is making a difference.   Carolyn Marie
    • BreM
      Coming out 22 years was a relief for me,I was crossdressing part time at the time and was at a crossroads if I was happy being part time or fulltime as Bre.Also was weighing out things too,realized I liked dressing as Bre more.It included realizing wearing the male wardrobe was getting boring to wear.I always liked the feminine wardrobe more including the shoes.Then one day before thanksgiving came over and asked my real parents whom took me in when I was 10 years old.Told me the ball is in my court,make the right choice.It was two days later I came back finally came out I am going fulltime.Took it well and knew I was going to be much happier.It was great with my 2 younger sisters too,they have looked up to me as a big sister to this day.Best part was bringing some boxes over and dumped my male clothes and shoes in them finally getting rid of them.To this day,zero regrets and never going back dressing in guy mode ever again
    • Jandi
      This sounds hard.  I hope you can find peace soon.
    • Jennifer T
      I have no words. 😞 I can only offer prayers for your peace. 
    • Jani
      Is it worth it?  I've got a ton of money invested in myself and I think I received a good value.  As to the grief, the hard part passes and you move forward.  I can't say I've lost anyone.  I will say I've met some amazing people though.  Going with the flow is an option, albeit painful at times.  The choice is ours to make.  
    • Lyla
      I knew I could transition when Christine Jorgensen was news.  I just never felt strongly about it and there was always the internal question of if i may.  Over the years I didn't learn how to fit in but how to play a role.  I've been playing that role for so long I've grown into the part.  Is it worth all the time and money and grief to leave that role behind?  It's so much easier to just go with the flow.
    • BreM
      It is going to like my new job.New boss,she is glad I work with the transgender and crossdresser community very well including the genetic women
    • Jani
      Ahhh, life is a mystery isn't it?   Until I realized I could!  As to hobbies and such I can be like that.  If you tried to put all these thoughts aside, could you?  Quite possibly not, at least at this point.  The question really is how far do you need to go to feel happy?   Answer that and you'll be golden.   Jani
    • Shay
      I want to apologise to @Rosalina101011 and EVERYONE on this site for not reading her posting and misgendered her. I am absolutely ashamed and embarrassed. She is a very beautiful woman and I will never be anywhere near as beautiful. How she can be misgendered is totally beyond me (unless like me you misread the post which I did as I was being interrupted at the time I read the post.  Believe me Rosalina that I meant to?assure you not make fun and I pray I haven't done any more damage. I have suffered with GD my entire life of 68 years and I never want to make it worse. I know how it feels. I am not even to a point where I might even not get clocked and I can't imagine your suffering. Please please please accept my apology.  
    • Lyla
      I'm beginning to feel like I'm trying to solve a mystery.  Looking for clues in my memory.  Looking up information to try to put those clues together.  Possibly even following false leads or red herrings. I am not someone who has always felt that I was misgendered.  I have never felt that I was really female.  I have never felt that I had to transition.  This questioning is something new in my life that I'm unsure is real.  I can look back and see clues pointing towards being transgender but is that enough. The way I've always handled new interests such as hobbies and skill was to find as much information as I could about it, then find other peoples writing about it.  Basically do a lot of research until I felt I had a good handle on what I was getting into.  Then I would go at it whole hog jumping in feet first.  Usually after being involved in whatever the interest was for three years or so I would lose interest and move on to something else. Is that what I'm doing here?  Am I just obsessing about something that interests me?  If I make a decision will I change my mind a few years down the road? Lyla
    • Jackie C.
      Sure, but that only works if you have actual cleavage. Show off. 😜   Hugs!
    • Jandi
      Yes.  My experience has been better than expected as well.
    • Astrid
      I'm happy to report that Jani is spot on.  Our imagination conjurs up all sorts of obstacles that rarely appear.    Best of luck and hugs,    Astrid 
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.