• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Goodbye Adam's Apple. I won't miss you.

Berni

Tracheal shave in 3 hours. This is my third attempt. Previous two were cancelled due to covid.

Wish me luck!

Heres my last picture ... fresh from the shower.

throat.jpg

• Forum Moderator

Luck! May it give you the results you're hoping for!

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

Best of luck.  I know you will like the results! 

BTW, you are so feminine looking!  Yes! 

So. 24hours later. Just had a shave (as best I could) and moisturized my face. Feeling so much better.

Have a bit of swelling and numbness (not to mention stitches and tape).

But no more lump! Yah!

day1postOp.jpg

• Forum Moderator

You look great @Berni. It’s hard to believe it was that fast and you’re back and looking like it was nothing. Looks like your doctor did a nice job.

I’m curious...Are there any temporary changes in your voice, the feeling while breathing in or out or when you swallow? I realize some differences are natural but how was the overall experience?

Susan R?

3 hours ago, Susan R said:

You look great @Berni. It’s hard to believe it was that fast and you’re back and looking like it was nothing. Looks like your doctor did a nice job.

I’m curious...Are there any temporary changes in your voice, the feeling while breathing in or out or when you swallow? I realize some differences are natural but how was the overall experience?

Susan R?

Hi @Susan R,

I've had a bit of swelling ... even after the second picture was taken ... so I had a bit of a fat neck for a day or two. This was kind of uncomfortable for a while and made Swallowing food (but thankfully not breathing) difficult. The swelling seems less today (day 3) and I'm much more comfortable and eating is easier.

My neck is a little sore and itchy where the stitches are and quite sore inside where, I guess, they had things poked down my throat so that they could see exactly what they were doing (the procedure was called microlaryngoscopy) ... so my throat is sore "inside" as if I had a normal "sore throat" and my voice is a little hoarse ... again like when you have a traditional sore throat.

By far, the worst part of the procedure, was the effects of general anesthetics .... which always affects me very badly making me I feel  very nauseous for hours afterwards.

The odd thing I feel, which I wasn't expecting, is this feeling of really "outing" myself. Since the operation,  I've been hiding at home a bit because I can't really "explain away" what I've done. I had my Adam's apple removed and its going to be super obvious for weeks while the scars heal. There isnt really a "non-trans" reason for doing that.

So ... here I am with nowhere to hide.

The day after the operation, an old work friend invited me to a party at their house next weekend. There will be a combination of old friends, who haven't seen me for 12 months or more, as well as people I still see at work each day.

There WILL be questions.

I'm a little nervous.

2 hours ago, Berni said:

I had my Adam's apple removed and its going to be super obvious for weeks while the scars heal. There isnt really a "non-trans" reason for doing that.

It's no one elses business, but I would deflect with humour. Tell them you got it fighting off a ninja assassin or being Black Widow's stunt double for her new film...  Or wear a loose but llight neck scarf x 

1 hour ago, DeeDee said:

It's no one elses business, but I would deflect with humour. Tell them you got it fighting off a ninja assassin or being Black Widow's stunt double for her new film...  Or wear a loose but llight neck scarf x 

Thanks @DeeDee. That's exactly the advice my wife has been giving me ... its nobody's business. Pretty sure I'll wear a scarf ... the stitches and tape are pretty ugly.

Thankyou again everyone for your kind words. I am very happy with how it looks so far ... though I can't wait to see what it looks like with the stitches and tape removed.

It's a bit scarey ... despite having been on HRT for the past 5 months ... I feel like I've really nailed my colors to the mast now.

Im trans ... and I'm taking no prisoners!

• Forum Moderator

My throat was sore for a day or so since my doctor used a scope to help determine how much he could shave off without affecting the vocal chords.  You could just tell anyone who asks that you had a small growth removed, and leave it at that.  They can figure it out themselves.  Our health history is really no ones business.  Yes there may be questions, but probably more about your looks.  You're looking good!