• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Name Change

HollyNoel

Well I took another big girl step and filled out and printed my legal name change documents. I'm so sad and nervous for this, almost scared to file the paperwork. Once I do this it will be like the death of the old me. This is the person I've always been. It feels like I'm saying good bye to a really close family member. If you are asking, YES! I am in tears right now. Damn Estrogen! Making me all emotional right now. lol

I am crying right now, it does feel like saying good bye to a really long time family member, like a brother. Once I'm officially Holly Elizabeth, Michael Andrew will just have disappeared from my life. Damn it! I can't stop crying. If I'm crying now, how am I going to be when I actually go to file and then go to court. Damn it! I wish this estrogen wasn't making me so emotional.

2 hours ago, HollyNoel said:

Once I do this it will be like the death of the old me.

Guess that's why they call it your "Dead Name".      

I'm starting to look into doing this now myself.  It looks like it might actually be easier than I thought - still a hassle tho.   If I get this done, I could move on to gender marker on ID.   I had thought it was necessary to have my birth certificate (in another state) changed, but apparently the law has changed from what i had seen in the past.

Still not positive about the name tho.  What I'm using now has a bit of history that I'm not sure I want to keep.

Good luck with your change.

@JandiI know, that still doesn't make it any easier to basically kill off the old me especially when I've been that me for half a century. Yes I'm 51 and a little under 2 months until 52. November 21st. Though I'm toying with changing my birthday to September 21st 2020 when I took my first dose of female hormone. Though I might keep it Nov 21st just to honor the day I came into the world. But yes, for me changing my name is going to be tough. So very tough. I tend to like to hold onto older stuff even though it might be useless.

QuestioningAmber

Holly,

I am sure it is perfectly normal to feel emotional over changing your name. I haven't done it yet, but I have seen and heard that there is almost a grieving process for yourself, because it is what you have been called all your life. It is a part of your identity that you are shedding, and I am sure it is also surreal to know this is happening and there is further progress.

The farthest I have gotten in the name process is having a chosen name at a new doctor that I am seeing. They have my legal name, but they are calling me using my chosen name of Amber. I am still kind of getting used to being called that.

Try and allow yourself to grieve, but remember all you are doing is confirming who you are.

ElizabethStar

Congratulations Holly. That's an amazing step to take.

I'm still waiting to do mine. We're looking to buy a house and I don't want to cause any issues or confusion. At this point I'm not even sure if we're staying in the same state.

Thank you @QuestioningAmber, It is so very hard to realize that that part of your life is over. It's so very sad to say goodbye to that person. A friend of mine though it was like breaking up with a long time boyfriend. Someone that meant the world to you. All I know is that I'm crying tears of sadness at the thought of not being and yet crying tears of joy at being who I'm about to become. All I know is that a week ago I wouldn't be crying but now I'm on my 3rd day of estrogen all I am is a river of tears.. I cried at a dog food commercial today. WTH! A freaken dog food commercial. It was the one with the boy and his dog Duck, and the beach part. OMG just thinking about that is making me cry. lol

@ElizabethStar Thanks. I just want to get it all over. My endocrinologist seemed to bring it up more than once in my last visit, and my other doctors are already calling my Holly. I just figure that It's time. Plus I want to change the gender marker on my birth certificate and my drivers license and social security card. I just want to get it all done, I don't want there to be any doubts for anyone, especially my brother who still thinks I'm just confused right now. NO DOUBTS FROM ANYONE! I am woman, I am not a man!

I can understand why you haven't done it yet and I agree with your reason. Changing to your true gender right before buying a house might cause confusion. I hope you get to do it soon though, I know it has to be tough for you. Just know that I am here to talk to if you need me. Us girls have to stick together.. ;)

2 hours ago, HollyNoel said:

I'm toying with changing my birthday to September 21st 2020 when I took my first dose of female hormone

I kinda felt like that when they finally gave me my estradiol.  Oddly enough it was within a couple of days of my actual birthday.

1 hour ago, ElizabethStar said:

I'm still waiting to do mine. We're looking to buy a house and I don't want to cause any issues or confusion

This too.   I want to avoid any unnecessary complications.

I never have cared for my given name and mostly went by my nickname.  "Jandi" does have a bit of history to it involving my ex.  I'd kinda like to drop that stuff too, but it seems weird to keep changing it, although I am changing more and more.  I don't want to bungle this - want to feel like I'm doing the right thing.

@Jandi My actual birthday is in November, more than a few days. I was tempted to not start my Estradiol until then but I tried to get started on HRT as soon as I could, I really didn't want to hold off and give my doctors any doubt as to if I was serious or not. But it would have been so awesome to start estrogen on my actual birthday. lol

@HollyNoel I can feel you! A few days ago I legally changed my name and gender - in Germany it is quite a process, involving assessments by two different therapists and in the end a judge decides upon you. Through this process I had a lot of fears, but every involved person was just very nice to me, so it's all good!

It never felt like I was closing a chapter of my life or like it is the death of my old self. I had much good in my life before realising I'm trans. I'm grateful for many things in my first 40 years that formed me as a person. Knowing, that I am a woman, ever was, doesn't change that I had a good life before transitioning. It just changed my perspective.

Oh, and estrogen makes me emotional, too. :)

Jeanette West

And here I was, looking for a place to ask: when do other girls change their names? I've been on HRT for two years, coming up in four months my FFS, so I was thinking I would file the paperwork with the courts next week. For myself I am sick of hearing my old name and really want to change to my new name.

@Jeanette West If you feel it's time, then go for it. Only you can decide the point when you want to take the name change step. After bawling my eyes out the other night while filling out my paperwork, I'm not really sure I'm ready to change my name legally. I might need more time to come to terms with shedding my old name. I got to talk to my therapist before I make that move. Anyway, whenever you do it, make sure you are ready.

One surprising outcome of the name change is that you discover just how MANY places you have to amend after the fact. Some are easier that others and completely uneventful, some will test your resolve 😀 and yet others might end up with a feeling of euphoria.

I was updating my BestBuy account (which is still unclear why they need me to call their main line from the store, but that a mystery for another day), and at the end of the conversation the customer service rep asked me whether I would like to be called sir or ma'am due to name change. No hesitation in my voice I informed her that ma'am would do wonderfully. And that made my day 🤩 Still smiling thinking about it.

Heather Nicole
On 9/23/2020 at 7:28 PM, HollyNoel said:

All I know is that I'm crying tears of sadness at the thought of not being and yet crying tears of joy at being who I'm about to become. All I know is that a week ago I wouldn't be crying but now I'm on my 3rd day of estrogen all I am is a river of tears.. I cried at a dog food commercial today. WTH! A freaken dog food commercial. It was the one with the boy and his dog Duck, and the beach part. OMG just thinking about that is making me cry. lol

Wow, I guess estrogen can be powerful stuff!

I haven't done any HRT, and I have enough testosterone to know firsthand the odd sensation of crying a river on the inside, but having testosterone completely block all actual crying....And yet, even at that, I still can't stop actually tearing up like crazy every time I see the first "Let it go" in Frozen! I can't imagine how I would fare on estrogen!

@Heathick To be fair I had a high estrogen level before I started HRT. So I was almost in tears already, the HRT kinda pushed me over the edge.

I was watching the movie Paper Man, had Ryan Reynolds, Jeff Daniels, and Emma Stone in it, and I got to this one part which wasn't really sad, but I cried my eyes out. It's like, OMG Will You Just STOP It!!!  lol. I have depression already, so I cry anyway, but come on. Can't I just watch TV without having a box of tissues sitting within reach. lol

MomTGDaughter

This is on my agenda for 2021 for my daughter, I want to wait for COVID-19 to fade away, however regardless she will be attending high school in a coupe of year and want her to have a full female identity by then. She is let me choose her new name and perhaps that is load off for her, she goes by this name now and when I started calling her by this name, her old name went south. Right now it's just making it a formality. 

@MomTGDaughterThat's really beautiful that shes letting you name her being that shes the girl shes always meant to be. It's the reason why I wanted to go by Holly Noel, going to drop Noel for Elizabeth. Never really felt Noel was quite right. Elizabeth is a much prettier name. If only the damned doctor wasn't so set on me being a boy. All of this could have been avoided. MEN! LOL.

I found out that the fee to change your name here in Illinois is set way to high at $327, I just found out tonight you can petition the court for a fee waver if you are on state assistance or at what is considered "low income". I am on SSD because of medical issues, so I should be eligible for this fee waver. I'm going to contact the courthouse and see about applying, I may also be able to skip the newspaper part because of the cost. Hopefully real soon I will officially and legally be Holly Elizabeth instead of Michael Andrew (sorry Mom).

MomTGDaughter

I already named her a short time she transitioned earlier this year. It's just a matter of making it official. I know many slightly their boy name to sound more female, however her's is completely changed to a very feminine name. I felt it's important to have it be very feminine to help her transition with confidence and very much have a full identity of a girl. 

I did the same thing. My boy name is Michael Andrew but I wanted a more feminine name so I went with what my mom would have named me. So It's Holly and my middle name comes from ElizabethStar. I chose Holly Elizabeth, I think It sounds so pretty.

Holly that is a beautiful name. I like a name that flows Kymbrill Loraine, That is how we named our boys. 

If I had came out correctly, I would have been Patricia. From what my mom has said. don't think she said a middle name. Kymmie was my own choosing first then the middle name, Loraine. I came up with Kymmbrill for a proper name as kymmie is more of a shortened name.

Kymmie

Thank you @KymmieL . Holly Elizabeth does flow. And so does Kymbrill Loraine. I love that it sounds almost like one word. That's how you know that a name goes together.

ElizabethStar

I almost went with the name Sheila, it was pretty high on my list. I chose Star for my middle name so I could have something that sounded fun and spunky. But I like the way it sounds, Elizabeth-Star and If I want I can just go by Star since it will be a legal part of my name. When I updated my Facebook it says Star is not real name and I will have to furnish legal proof in order to use it although other people have used it. I can't say if they had problems or not but it's silly that a computer is telling me what I can use for a name.

1 hour ago, ElizabethStar said:

it's silly that a computer is telling me what I can use for a name.

Sheesh

Jeanette West
On 9/26/2020 at 5:23 PM, Heathick said:

Wow, I guess estrogen can be powerful stuff!

I haven't done any HRT, and I have enough testosterone to know firsthand the odd sensation of crying a river on the inside, but having testosterone completely block all actual crying....And yet, even at that, I still can't stop actually tearing up like crazy every time I see the first "Let it go" in Frozen! I can't imagine how I would fare on estrogen!

You have no idea! :) I have to be careful at work if I start thinking maudlin thoughts I suddenly get something in my eye.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 70 Guests (See full list)

• JillPilled
    • MaryEllen
    • Zero hero
    • QuestioningAmber
    • Susan R
    • Ellora
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

JillPilled
    Newest Member
    JillPilled

1. Lou10
      Lou10
      (45 years old)
    2. OhJay
      OhJay
    • JillPilled
      How's it going y'all? Hope everyone is doing well. I'm Jillian, a transwoman, 26, and mainly looking to discuss experiences here, and find a better way to network and get a wider breadth to really hear and talk about experiences in all the dimensions socially you can think of to participate in a community--particularly amidst the pandemic! COVID-19 displaced me from my ability to attend my in-person counseling for mental-health associated with feminizing, before I transferred into a separate online tele-health component that's been working efficiently with me for Planned Parenthood-- so this forum complimentary to that really seems from what I've been browsing just very early on to be essential :D!   Just to preface, I've known my identity for about 10 years now, and only recently without the past year began actualizing my transition (besides coming out to my dad/step mom about being trans-fem) with HRT/frequent blood tests and visits/later tele-health visits to my doctor. I live with my dad, step-mom, at the moment, and my father and mother are separated--there's a long-history there that is quite depressing that is way too much for an introduction, but long and short is it was a really strained and short-term (6 year-marriage) relationship. Unfortunately, and nothing looking back that I feel hatred for now but then it was largely unknown to me--but my mom has some issues with bipolar-depressive disorder which have been left unmedicated/treated for some time--likely over 20 years, close to my age. Additionally she holds some sharp views about gender, sexual orientation, and unfortunately even relationships concerning interracial couples (she's... quite bigoted honestly, and not one I would pick to be a representative of an actual good-person to my mind/Christian which she reinforced but held these practices which seemed contradictory and harsh views). Though, I'm agnostic so I'm not the best judge on that matter. Anyhow, currently, it bears noting I am also very much estranged from my mom, for those reasons since December 2014--and hence why I had to repress so much regarding my transition and depression while with her and facing abuse for not being sufficiently in the gender-category she wanted me to be--and saw me as lacking or 'a failure' in that part.  It was enough emotional-trauma/stress to not want to speak or see her ever again--alongside of trying to place me in Catholic related schools, institutions which personally I never felt content/happy with that decision made for me.   I was stuck in isolation in the middle of nowhere in central-Virginia for some time--I want to say 4-5 years, without a high-school curriculum (I was not enrolled, nor attended high-school... or was enrolled in any accredited outside course that could be considered academic--virtually stuck within our home with the resources I could find off the internet via an ancient laptop my dad was kind enough to buy me), and did not actually thrive in any capacity until managing to leave. And I'll just say I haven't found a way to fill a lot of the vacant parts of my brain wanting for explanation of that time in all the spheres, or let go of those really lonely times/experiences--stuck with being the only one to know who I actually was identity wise. Mainly, along the lines of 'why do I perceive myself as not right or unnatural when presenting myself in public' or putting on a personality that I KNOW is drastically more feminine and lovely in my view than this forced and fake male one that makes me feel as if I'm lying to everyone and me too. I see no meaning in it. Every time with relatives it was absolute pain--as with people I didn't know, and after quite some time I gave up on all that just within this past year.   Takes you a while to realize sometimes there's not a greater meaning to abuse or trauma in some contexts, and that just constantly me dwelling on it was ratcheting it into something way deeper and worsening my mental-state as I couldn't leave those times (PTSD). It's slow but realized change to reject there being a meaning to some cases, and to try to overcome with new ones/forget as best you can. Actually, funny enough, when I escaped that situation for the past 6-ish years it's been a massive hurdle to even tell someone trusted such as my dad/stepmom, as well as my boyfriend (while we were still just bestfriends) and a couple other good friends of mine that I'm trans--and while I had the answer it was something I held back for so long because of these prior experiences, and I did not too much besides academically 'catch up' during these times until I came out fully. Sure this is far more common than, once, my perception held towards thinking how entrapped, lonely that feeling was--rather, a kinda selfish thought of that surely no one else could know but that was DEFINITELY a case of 16-year old to 18 year old me thinking in a much younger and isolated lens, haha.   Are there any experiences recently that you feel like, personally, you've done well in creating for yourself or were positive in outlook--in the same capacity, perhaps, good ways to seek to move on from those that were negative to you--because I feel as if that's equally of valid or concerning in transitioning? Sorry, if that's a bit personal for just an intro., but! I do love talking with others about mental-health as well as identity, it can be nice to vent some about it to somebody--I've done more than my share to my boyfriend when he visits out of Toronto over here in Virginia, and over Discord calls we have together as of COVID. Love to meet and talk with y'all about yours, it's good to share or listen really in equal measure--I enjoy it a lot with all sorts of matters! Thank you so much for reading, and have a good day (I drafted this quite late, so not sure I will be up for a little while--night owl that I am but hope to catch up on other forum posts soon as well :>)
    • Noah A
      Hi @DonkeySocks. Thank you so much for your welcome. You are so right. That's what I've done with one of my best friends. She has been supportive, if a bit skeptical. She leans towards believing that this probably has other explanations, or at least making totally sure that is not the case. Can't blame her, she has know me only in my overfeminine phase.     Thank you for that. It's interesting that, no matter how much I know that is the case, I still doubt them. So it is a huge support to hear those words.       Hi @DeeDee. You have no idea (except you probably do) how reasuring it is that you share this experience in this way (not always knowing) and yet it is totally real and you've come this far. And yes, being honest with myself and self-acceptance and self-love are the goals. Each question and each answer may scare me, but they also set me free, and when I allow myself to think "I am not a woman and I do not need to be a woman" everything inside of me relaxes. It scares me, but I'm not letting go of that feeling!     Hi @Susan R. Yes! I have one. There was none in my area but I found them in Barcelona. I'm only two session into therapy but it has made a world of difference, in terms of being able to talk about this with an informed, neutral and non judgemental person. I actually am in this forum because I could put aside my previous "I am not trans enough" fear, and that's thanks to therapy. The awareness and ability to legitimize my feelings and reality has no price.   Thank you all for your welcome. It is felt and deeply appreciated. I'll do my best to be here for you as much as you are here for me.
    • Noah A
      Hi @sparky I can't talk from experience about coming out to a significant other, because I don't have it. What I can say is that, from my point of view, you've given yourself and your wive the gift of an open and honest relationship, the possibility of being your true selves with one another. I have no clue how it can turn out, but now it has the chance of being real and profound.  
    • RhondaS
      Struggled with that a long time too, besides all the other struggles. But at some point I thought I'd rather live the rest of my life as an ugly woman than any kind of man. And HRT helped me mentally almost right away, well before any physical changes. Yes, I still don't like what I see in the mirror, but feel significantly better than I used to (and it's only 5 weeks in). 
    • RhondaS
      Does anyone ever misgender back? I'd be tempted to do that, at least on the way out. "Thanks, sir!"
    • RhondaS
      Do you have a link for that quote from Harris saying she'll invoke the 25th? Google's not helping, and you'd think that statement would have made enough news to be found somewhere other than on this forum.   The only things google showed was Trump saying that Pelosi would do it to replace Biden with Harris.     
    • Susan R
      Hello @Noah A. It’s a pleasure to have you here with us. You are among friends here and are here to help you any way we can.   As @DonkeySocks pointed out...we’re all here trying to find ourselves. It’s a forum filled with real people with at least one aim of self-discovery. It’s a process that takes patience and time. You’ve recognized the fact that something needs attention or that an issue does exist...that’s why you’re here. Once the genie is out of the bottle, it never goes away completely. I can tell you first hand that denial, suppression and compartmentalizing your life does not work for long. Knowing the truth about yourself and accepting who you are, whatever that might be, is half the battle. The rest of the pieces eventually fall into place with good help whether it be professional or through resources that you stumble upon in you research.   You’ll here it often on this forum but it’s very true...you owe it to yourself to find a good therapist with a good understanding of gender identity issues. I don’t know how abundant those type of resources are in Spain but there are online services available and in some places right now online is the only method of service available due to covid.   I believe one can traverse these gender issues without a therapist but the more resources and support you have at your disposal, the better, imho. I think this to a great place to get started and hope to read more about you and your journey. I trust with a little effort, you’ll eventually get there.   Warmest Regards, Susan R🌷
    • Mia Marie
      Everybody is entitled to vote for who you want but I will not vote for someone, and I don't care what party they are from, and end up living in a socialist country with no rights at all to speak of. And if Biden wins Harris has already said at some point she will envoke the 25th amendment to take over the Presidency from Biden. You don't want her in full charge.
    • Robin.C
      This is something I struggled with for a long time and reading other stories, many have as well. There is a mindset in our beginning which is part of the dysphoria. We don't feel we are the person we believe we are and often any visual image we see hits that button time and time again. The best advice I have been given was that I want to be the best female version of myself that I can be. The same height, skin and body shape (although hormones will and do change some of our appearance) but the female version of me. Transitioning is as much about the emotional and mental changes that occur along with some physical changes. A therapist is a must to help us comes to terms of how we progress towards our goal of being our true self. This is a great place to begin as the advice and real world experiences are and have been invaluable to me. We as people come in all shapes and sizes and nobody is ever 100% happy with how they look, we all get by though. You didn't say if you have a therapist, if you don't you should get one as they can be so much help now and in the future.   Hugs Robin
    • gina-nicole-t
      Welcome @Bobbi Jo
    • Susan R
      Thank God you’re OK, Kylie. Septic is a monster. My father passed from an abdominal infection that went septic. It’s scary stuff. I will be sure to drink more water myself. I drink about 48-64 oz or water a day but also drink a lot of diuretic liquids...mainly coffee and tea. I used to be a strict 96oz. of water per day up until a year ago. I think I need to increase it again. I don’t want to get a UTI after reading your account.   Thanks for sharing this important news. It has brought to light the importance of water every day. It’s so easy to let it slide.   My Best, Susan R🌷
    • Susan R
      Hi @Lain, nice to meet you. Welcome. Good subject you’ve started.   Jackie stated something above that I agree with all the way. In the earliest stages of confronting gender dysphoria or gender incongruence of any sort, the focus is generally more on the physical aspects of transition. I don’t want to downplay any of that because it is still important for me today...almost as much as it was early in my transition. It has changed as my focus and understanding about what it is to be a woman has changed. Of course as you medically transition, changes will occur with your physical body that help considerably with your gender dysphoria but there will always be improvements you may desire.  Jackie mentioned several that she might like changed. I have a similar list..lol. Some aspects will improve while others may not. That part of transition is always a crapshoot. Your new look can help you eventually become more comfortable with yourself. Your perspectives during transition will change greatly over time. With proper professional assistance, it can even change faster in many cases. But eventually your issues with your physical self will decrease as you start to see your life through a different lens. If you ask anyone who has started transitioning, many, perhaps most will tell you they the changes were internal as well as external. Of those that have seen changes, I bet most would say that their self acceptance with their physical body has improved. There may even be a time in your future when these issues you now perceive to be a liability become irrelevant to your happiness or in rare cases, an asset.   My Best, Susan R🌷
    • Susan R
      @sparky Try to stay positive. That is a great initial reaction from your wife. Very few if any spouse is going to react much better than that after hearing this kind of news. It’s life altering in many cases. I would look at it as a very good first step toward becoming even closer to her than you are now.   My wife and I have a MUCH better relationship now than ever (and it was good prior to transition..her words) and I have to say it’s because now we can talk about anything under the sun without worry of judgement. I’ve learned more about my wife and vice versa in the last 2 years of our marriage than I did the first twenty. Think of it more as an opportunity for renewal with the whole person and not what you want her and the rest of the world to think so that you conform to their expectations. As @ElizabethStar mentioned...be honest with her and make sure the line of communication is always open between you two. That can be difficult when a spouse feels they have lost something important. Reassure her that they haven’t lost the important part of their relationship—the intellectual, compassionate and loving part of yourself.   My Best, Susan R🌷
    • Susan R
      Actually, I am happy to report that the text +/- works perfectly on both 2017 & 2019 iPads running iOS 14.1. The buttons only affect the text size within the post on each thread and has no effect on the text size on right side panel showing the previews of those posts. I’m not sure if it works that way on a desktop or not but that’s something I’ll likely check dow the road unless someone else uses a desktop for this forum and wants to comment. I rarely if ever use TP forums on a desktop.   It’s a very nice added feature, Petra Jane. I’m at that age where I use reading glasses after about an hour on my iPad. This may curtail that another half hour..lol.😁    Thank you! Susan R🌷
    • ElizabethStar
      It can be hard but your being honest with yourself and your wife. If she's being supportive that's a good start, keep talking with her. Don't be like me. I went the other way and hid almost everything until I couldn't. I almost lost my best friend and destroyed my marriage.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.