• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Follow Up Appointments

RhondaS

You can read plenty of people talking about their first visit to an endocrinologist, but having done that, wondering what happens at follow up visits? And how often they happen as time goes by?

My first visit was about to get to know each other, talking about my wishes and my goals and possible side effects. They took lots of blood. A week later I started HRT and had to visit every 6 weeks until my dosage was right. These were just short visits for taking blood samples, asking how I feel, whether there are any problems. When E-levels were within range we scheduled the next appointment 4 to 6 month later. When everything is alright, I have to visit every six month.

• Forum Moderator

Pretty much what @Phi said. I talked with the Endo, then she sent me downstairs for blood work. Repeat visits for blood work every two months until my estrogen levels were female-normal. That took two or three tries. Then every six months to make sure my body wasn't doing anything too out of the ordinary. Now I'm down to one a year.

Oh, I should point out that I get my blood drawn and labs done about a week before I see my endo. That way we have something to talk about during the visit.

Hugs!

ElizabethStar

My experiences have been a little different. When I first met with my Endo we did the meet and greet, talked about goals, expectations and the risks. She wrote my scripts right there on the spot then sent me down the hall for blood work. I live in an informed consent state. Went beck 2 months later for a check-up/blood work and some adjustments were made. Then Covid hit and it was 5 months before my next check-up and blood test. As of now, I need to check-in with my Endo and see what she wants to do, I need refills by the end of next month and everything is still booked up for weeks.

My first endo appointment lasted about an hour.  We talked for a bit about why I wanted to go on HRT and what my expectations were, and the possible side effects, as well as different delivery methods.  This was followed by a complete physical and blood work.  After the initial appointment, he consulted with my gender therapist and primary care physician.  About 2 weeks later, my meds were sent to me.  The first follow up was about 6 weeks later to get some blood drawn and see if I was having any side effects.  I now have a followup with him every 3 to 4 months, going on 3 years now,  and they last about 30+ minutes.  This schedule works great for me since he is also the doctor doing my cancer follow ups and he does the blood work for that and hormone levels at the same time.

2 hours ago, RhondaS said:

@Phi@Jackie C.@ElizabethStar@MiraM thanks for the quick responses!

I wish mine would do the blood work in advance, sounds like each visit will be a reaction to the blood work from 6 weeks earlier.   

It only takes a few days (normally about 3 days for the VA hospital I go to) for the results to come back from the lab.  My doctor always calls me or sends me a message with the results as soon as he gets them, and we discuss any problems or changes he thinks need to be made, so there is no waiting several months to find out if adjustments need to be made, or if there are any other issues.  The office visits are to get new blood work done, and discuss any issues/concerns since the last visit, and to judge overall health and such.  It's not just a rehash of the old blood work.  My Endo is also in constant contact with the rest of my health care team so they all know about any issues, etc..

When I first started (this is an informed consent state) they would only give me a T blocker because of my age.  The follow up was 3 months later.  But in that time it had screwed up my sodium levels, and I was not doing very well.  When they took blood, they took me off it.  Apparently 3 months was too long to wait.

But after that I was able to get in the VA system, and my experience has been pretty much like MiraM has described.

1 hour ago, MiraM said:

It only takes a few days (normally about 3 days for the VA hospital I go to) for the results to come back from the lab.  My doctor always calls me or sends me a message with the results as soon as he gets them, and we discuss any problems or changes he thinks need to be made, so there is no waiting several months to find out if adjustments need to be made, or if there are any other issues.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 83 Guests (See full list)

• Michellle
    • MaryMary
    • RachelCJ
    • Sydneyblue
    • Ainsley
    • Emily michelle
    • Tory Aoi
    • Ann W
    • RunValRun
    • Bobbi Jo
    • Cyndee
    • MaryEllen
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Bobbi Jo
    Newest Member
    Bobbi Jo

1. Piper
      Piper
      (42 years old)
    2. terriann
      terriann
      (69 years old)
    • Ann W
      Had to share this one as I discover who's behind the door...  
    • Bri2020
      Heather you need to road trip down to DC some weekend and we will go shopping.  I'm sure we can find some stuff to make you feel cute. In fact, I think we need to coordinate a shopping day for a bunch of us.
    • JustineM
    • Bri2020
      I've been on HRT for 7 weeks and didn't really feel any different until yesterday I became an emotional wreck over the stupidest things and started crying at commercials and -crap-. lol. My wife laughed pretty hard about my state.  I noticed the last week my nipples had become "sensitive" but then this morning looking in the mirror noticed they were "budding". I have to admit, I kinda freaked out.  I've been wanting this but to actually see a physical change occur made the HRT decision real for the first time for me.  I'm better now but I was really worried about the fact the I freaked out and began questioning whether that reaction might have been a sign I wasn't ready.   In other fun news, A client came into the shop today and as we were talking asked how long I had been here. I thought he was asking about the biz so told him 11 years in this location then he corrected me and ask how long I had been here.  I told him the whole time since I owned it. He looked puzzled and said he's been coming for 10 years off on an on and thought someone else owned it.  I enlightened him by saying, Oh, I use to be Rick and had a lot less hair.  It clicked for him then and he asked how long the transition had been happening and congrats.  I told him just since summer and then he told me he had transitioned 19 years ago!  Wow, I had no clue.  We had a great conversation about the differences in treatment availabilities and public acceptance and then went about our days.  I've been in biz for a long time and had no clue we had any trans clients.  It's really cool to know we do.
    • Bri2020
      Very cute wig!   
    • Bri2020
      Oh Heather, I'm so sorry. Even when we know it's coming it is still heart wrenching.  Here's to remembering all that was good about his life.  Hang in there.  Hugs Bri
    • Shay
      Therapist in 30 minutes, need it.🤥
    • SaraAW
      It was the hardest thing ive ever had to do myself. It takes an incredible amount of courage to do that. Well done. I hope the best for you in this. Hugs!
    • Jandi
      Hi sparky Welcome I think it's like this for all of us.  We're not clones of each other. I think this was the big break for me.  I finally stoped fighting myself, and accepted who I was.  That freed me to really explore the parts of me that I had repressed for years out of fear.
    • Jani
      I'm still standing (Yeah, yeah, yeah)   (thanks Elton & Bernie)
    • SaraAW
      @Victoria_ Very cute!   @KymmieL Very happy to hear you're coming out work went well.    @KendraML Congrats on the new car! It's always exciting to learn how a new vehicle responds to you.   @Emily michelle Congrats on your 6 months!!! Those moments when you can really see yourself are so wonderful.
    • JustineM
      Not where it needs to be but a step in the right direction.        https://nypost.com/2020/10/21/pope-francis-calls-for-civil-union-laws-for-same-sex-couples/
    • Shay
      @Victoria_ I agree - really cute photo   @QuestioningAmber the reduction of anxiety and calmness has been my favorite part of HRT so far - hoping the body starts doing its thing but I'm happy with anxiety and depression reduction - that along has reduced the gender dysphoria.
    • Timber Wolf
      Hope all goes well, Jayna.   Lots of love, Timber Wolf🐾
    • MaryMary
      My 2 cents, it's just my opinion : No we can't. But, I suspect people are mixing periods symptoms with hormonal imbalance. Because the human body control hormones in a very complex way taking a pill can never replicate this delicate balance. So maybe sometimes the hormones you take doesn't match what the body need or phenomenons like that. If you are like me and forget to take them then maybe you will feel the consequences. I'm very skeptic about that, even when it's me feeling such things because I know just how much my brain react when it comes to dysphoria. I'm not trying to argue here, but for me when I feel things like that I'm just telling myself : "hey there brain, wishfull thinking" But hey, maybe I'm just wrong and I do have cramps and not just something like irritable bowel syndrome
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.