• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Interaction with the Police

Sally Stone

Sally Stone

Yesterday morning I was out doing some errands and going for coffee beforehand.  On the interstate, I was cruising in the middle lane doing maybe 5 or 6 miles above the speed limit when all of a sudden a police interceptor, one of those menacing looking SUV's, pulled right up behind and turned on his lights.  So, it had finally happened; I was about to be pulled over, dressed as a woman.  I had prepared myself for this moment, because I knew as much as I am out in my feminine persona, getting stopped by the police was just inevitable.  So, I quickly changed lanes moving towards the shoulder, and guess what, the police officer passed me by and nabbed another car just ahead of me.  

At once I was elated, but I also realized I was somewhat disappointed that my first encounter with the law didn't happen.  It makes me curious and I want to ask others about their encounters with the police.  Anyone have any stories they'd like to relate?

KathyLauren

Glad you didn't get a ticket, but it must have been disappointing not to be able to try out your femme persona in that setting.

I have been stopped twice by the police while presenting as Kathy, both times at check-stops where they were looking for license, registration, insurance, and vehicle inspection records.  The first time, I was pre-HRT, but dressed femme.  My license had a picture of a guy with a beard.  Paperwork was in order, so I got "Have a nice day."  No "sir"; no "ma'am".

The second time was similar, but I had been on HRT for a while, and was full-time.  My license had an appropriate photo, and named me as Kathleen, but showed a big "M" in the sex field.  Same thing: everything was in order.  "Have a nice day."

In both cases, it was RCMP, who are the epitome of Canadian politeness.

Sally Stone

Thanks Kathy.  That is how I expect it to go, and since I have always had the greatest respect for authority, I know that my respect for a police officer would help to keep the encounter positive, even if I was guilty of a traffic violation. 

• Admin
Carolyn Marie

I'm really glad that you didn't get a ticket or have to explain anything, although I would have been surprised had you had a difficult encounter.  Most officers have either run into us by now or have been properly trained.

I never got stopped before becoming legally Carolyn.  But I did have to go to police headquarters to get my old records as a police reserve officer changed, including my ID and personnel file.  I had communicated with the personnel sergeant prior to showing up and explained everything.  I wasn't expecting any problems and didn't have any.  Just the same it felt weird being in those surroundings as the newly minted "me."  I love having my retiree police ID with "Carolyn -----" on there.

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

I did wonder during the early days of lockdown here when a police car passed me when I was out for a walk and they smiled as they passed (male and female police officers). I did think that they were unlikely to stop as the last discussion I had with them (not sure if actually them but was the local police) I flagged them down to hand them a live shotgun cartridge I had found which I was not sure how to dealt with. At the time it was obvious from their manner that they could do without it too but I thought a danger to children and, unlike when I was a teenager, I was less inclined to play with or even have around.

Really I don't worry too much these days. Mostly the local force are fair if you are fair with them.

It does not stop me worrying though when I see the blue light behind me or have them follow for some miles. Guilty conscience! lol

Tracy

• Forum Moderator

I have had 3 encounters with police after going full time and having my documents changed. Twice i was speeding and only realized as i saw their cars.  I apologized immediately as i handed over my documents.  When asked if i had others tickets i responded: "yes sir, i received a citation for going through a yellow stoplight in 1969"

They took my information back to their cars.  I received a warning from one and a ticket for not wearing seatbelt from the other.  I was actually wearing it until i reached to the glove compartment.  Actually i was happy to pay that fine as no points were attached to my driving record.  I have been much more careful of my speed since then especially in the new Tesla, as it is quiet and very quick.  I tend to use the cruise control.  It keeps me from slowly gaining speed.

One night i hit a deer while going to a meeting.  The animal lay injured on the road across from me and i called the police.  Shortly after calling i realized i didn't have my purse with drivers license.  The Tesla uses my phone as a control.  The officers were kind and understanding trying harder to help me than to find fault.  Later i found my purse thrown up under the dash when i hit my brakes.

I think in all cases being female was an advantage but being courteous was perhaps equally helpful.

I may be an old gal but they all have had moms.

Hugs,

Charlize

Seeing everyone's stories about their encounters with the police has me shaking my head in disbelief. Here in Memphis the police have a very bad reputation with Trans people, particularly Trans women. Black Trans women are routinely stopped here, just walking to the grocery store. Given prostitution charges, if not rape by an authority figure.

I know of one girl that was on the way home from the grocery store, with bags of groceries. She was stopped by a cop, who told her that she could perform fellatio on him, or get a prostitution charge. She did what he demanded, and still went to jail with a prostitution charge.

Another girl was in jail on a false charge and beaten very badly by a deputy jailer. She filed a lawsuit. Had video evidence and everything. Hell, her story, with the video of her beating, was on the news. When she got out of jail, she filed a lawsuit. And was murdered shortly after she filed it.

I am terrified of having any kind of encounter with the police.

DragonflyGirl

I had a nice interaction with the police last night. I wanted to go to the pub but there was an escaped bull charging up and down the towpath making me too scared to leave my boat.

So I called the police and about 40 minutes later a nice young copper knocked on my boat to let me know the farmer had taken the animal away and it was safe for me to go outside.

He addressed me as Miss Gray and we had a bit of a laugh walking into the village where his car was parked. He wished me a pleasant night in the pub and it made me feel all glowy and nice! 

Back in 2018 I was involved in an accident. It turned out that both of us are trans, go figure! However the officer that investigated the accident was very professional and courteous. I was apprehensive but it turned out that my fears were unfounded.