• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Finding a piercer, especially during covid?

Heather Nicole

Ok, so I'm really itchiting to get my basic earlobes done now that I finally realize it's no longer the 90s, and maybe a certain something else too. I've done a lot of research in the past, so I know the red flags to look out for. But aside from that, and maybe it's just my social anxiety, I don't know, but I don't have the first clue how to actually find which (if any?) of the piercers in my area are any good? Especially during covid. We have a TON of "sniffers" in the area who don't bother covering their nose just so they can *technically* claim they're supposedly "wearing a mask" even though it very obviously does absolutely nothing when worn that way. (My mom and I are both all kinds of "at risk".) Any advice?

I pierced my own ears at home this last April using a cheap kit that I found on amazon (had my wife help me I was too chicken to do it myself). They went in easy and it hurt far less than I was expecting. 

So if you are brave enough or have help that may be an option.

I went to Claire's.  The lady was very nice and very quick.  I have a diamond in each ear that my wife bought for me. 

I had mine pierced a couple weeks ago. I went to a tattoo / piercing studio. Super professional and lots of COVID protocols. Stay away from anyone using a "gun" to do piercings. They are really just pushing a rather blunt item through your lobe and it can cause issues with healing/scarring. Best get it done by someone using needles, it is really quick and even less painful than the gun, especially if the piercer is experienced. Opt for a barbell for the initial piercing, you'll get the best results with healing. The backing on studs typically doesn't allow as much air at the site and hoops can cause hypertrophic scarring. In 6-8 weeks, you can then swap out the piercing for any style of your choosing.

The first I had done back in the day at an outdoor concert.  I had a friendly girl push a needle through.  Then a couple years ago I had some done at Claire's.  

2 hours ago, SaraAW said:

The backing on studs typically doesn't allow as much air at the site and hoops can cause hypertrophic scarring

That time I did have an issue kinda like this.  But I did eventually get that straitened out.

• Forum Moderator

As Sara said. Go to a professional piercer One who has been trained. Yes, there are trainers for body piercing. Make sure that all the equipment used has been autoclave sterile.  You also may check into the health regulations in your state. If the state references South Dakota's tattoo and body piercing regulations. That is one of the best if not the best in the country.

The South Dakota tattoo/ body piercing health regulations were co-written by a couple friends of mine, a professional tattooist and his wife, a professional body piercer. She took her profession very seriously  even taking anatomy classes.

But ultimately your choice, have a semi sharp stud pushed through your ear with an instrument not able to be hospital sterile or a sterile ultra sharp needle making a hole. Plus the after care instruction. and a place where you can contact the person who did the work about ANY problems.

Kymmie 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! You've all been very helpful.

I finally got them done this evening!

(My mom had a slight initial shock, as I expected, but ultimately she's good with it.)

I remember hearing about piercing guns back in the 90's and why they weren't a good thing. I'm really surprised to hear they're still in use. I was convinced they'd become a relic by now.

Regardless, I also managed to stumble upon another, more disturbing imo, reason I ended up choosing to avoid Claire's:

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2019/04/229478/claires-children-ear-piercing-age-backlash-employee-quits

Yyeesh!! We like to think we live in an advanced civilized society, but...Bleh!

Long story short, google maps helped me find a piercing/tattoo shop nearby that I felt comfortable with. The guy there was kinda young (from my perspective!) and professionally wasn't bad at all. Did everything right. He definitely had some social awkwardness, but in a way I could very much relate to. Luckily, the last few years at work have finally taught me some basic social skills, so I was able to compensate for him by knowing what to pay attention to, what questions to ask, and how to get the right information communicated both ways. So that was a relief. (On several counts.)

Initially, my thought for jewelry (since I'll have to wear it to work and everywhere else for a good while, all while in guy mode) was some kind of round black stud. I think that would suit my hair and male appearance well. But there are a lot of well-reasoned limitations on starter jewelry, so that didn't seem to be feasible. (Maybe I might've been able to find one online that could still manage to be suitable as a good starter, but eh, I was already getting impatient from a couple other setbacks.)

@SaraAW made a good point with barbells though. I'd never even heard of barbells being used for standard earlobe piercings before. They had some there, maybe about a half inch long, but ultimately, I worried about them being more likely to snag when putting a face mask on and off. Besides, they didn't really speak to me anyway, and I was kinda freaking at the idea of going to work as a guy with anything dangling from my ears. (Not that I don't love dangley jewelry!)

So I went with the medium stud of cubic zircon (I assume. I don't know one rock from another, but based on the price, I know it definitely isn't diamond!) It's maybe a touch flashy for a shy lad, but it's much more what I was ultimately interested in anyway (I like sparkles :)), it can be partially-hidden by my long hair, and as long as I really own it, I like to think it gives just a touch of a pirate vibe!

And yea, I got all the aftercare products and am trying to follow them, and the other recommendations I've found, as close to religiously as I can. And I'm washing my pillowcases and bedsheets right now, just to be extra careful of the germies. We'll see how it all goes...

In any case, I'm really happy to have piercings in my body, yay! Can't wait until they heal and I can try on different ones!

Congrats.  I went with the cubic as well. I have worn mine for 4 or 5 months straight. Today is my first day at work not wearing them.  I took them off last night to put in some dangglies. When i get home first things first.  Gotta take my meds since i forgot them today and second put my diamonds back in.  

Congrats @Heather Nicole! Remember to wash your hands before touching your ears for any post-piercing care.

The barbels I got look like a stud from both sides of the lobe. You can see it in my profile pic. As its a ball on the back, it actually snags less, than a standard stud locking back, when putting on and taking off the mask. The two main things are are you like what you got and follow the aftercare instructions.

I'm still a couple weeks off from being able to change them out for the first time, but am looking forward to being able to change them up to match what I am wearing.

4 hours ago, SaraAW said:

Congrats @Heather Nicole! Remember to wash your hands before touching your ears for any post-piercing care.

Thanks :) I've been trying to follow the wash hands before touching rule, but I'm finding I keep accidentally brushing across the left one when I move my hair out of the way. Avoiding that is going to take some getting used to!

4 hours ago, SaraAW said:

The barbels I got look like a stud from both sides of the lobe. You can see it in my profile pic. As its a ball on the back, it actually snags less, than a standard stud locking back, when putting on and taking off the mask.

Ahh, that's cool! I like it. The place I went to unfortunately didn't have anything like that, otherwise I probably wouldv'e gone with it. Seems like it would be really hard to rotate while cleaning though. The stud-style one I have, I already find hard enough to turn, not so much because of tightness, but just because it's so tiny (and the whole earlobe area is small) and my fingers are huge.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 96 Guests (See full list)

• Pip
    • Betty K
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

taxicab
    Newest Member
    taxicab

1. Amyjay
      Amyjay
      (58 years old)
    2. bettyjean
      bettyjean
    3. Breanna
      Breanna
      (52 years old)
    4. Emily Ayla
      Emily Ayla
    5. JET182
      JET182
    • Susan R
      Love it! This is great news. We need more of this to combat the excessive hate-filled rhetoric and misinformation. 👍
    • Susan R
      The experience was the same for me @April Marie. I slept much deeper and I woke up each morning feeling so much more restful sleeping with forms solidly in place. For me, wearing breast forms at night started when before I was a teenager. I had no access up to modern breast forms and certainly no way to buy mastectomy bras back then. I wore a basic bra my mom had put in a donation box and two pairs of soft cotton socks. I have some crazy memories of things I did in my youth to combat my GD but regardless, these makeshift concoctions helped me work through it all.   All My Best, Susan R🌷
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Colorado isn't exactly a Republican place, and won't become one anytime soon.  I think those folks might be better off not spending their time playing Don Quixote.    We certainly have our share of California "refugees" moving into where I live, so I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing Coloradans too.  I suspect the trend over the next few years will see the blue areas getting more blue and the red areas getting more red as anybody who can relocate tries to find a place where they fit better.   
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Well, at least it'll be a place some folks could choose.  Options are a good thing.
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      My family would have gobbled that jar up in a minute or two.  When we do have pickled herring, its usually for Christmas.  I didn't grow up with that particular dish, but I grew up in a Greek family so I like just about any kind of fish if I can get it.  However, ocean fish and freshwater fish taste so different.  We usually have more catfish and tilapia to eat than anything else.    What I can't quite get used to is the tons of cabbage my GF insists on eating.  When you live with a Russian, there is always cabbage soup.  Always.  When I first moved in with her, breakfast was "shchi" for soup and either bread or "kasha" which is a bowl of boiled buckwheat with butter and salt.  Those dishes can be made in any number of ways, some are better than others.  In the winter, it can even be salty and sour like kraut.  Not exactly sauerkraut, but packed in tubs with vinegar and salt so it keeps partially for the winter.  But I drew the line when the cabbage soup included pieces of fried snake one day.  😆
    • Ashley0616
      Good evening to you as well @Mmindy   That is awesome that you have support from her side. My dad has communicated with me once and that was because he was forced to. His new wife wanted to spend time with my kids. He hated me so much he was in the process of taking my rights away as a parent to my two boys. He was talking to a lawyer and I called him out on it. I don't love him at all. I'll respect him because I wouldn't be here without him but I wished I had another father. My uncles don't talk to me and unfriended me on Facebook. Almost all cousins except for two are still Facebook friends but they don't give me any support. My mom said she won't support me with that but she has said that she loves me. I have nieces and nephews that are still Facebook friends but they have yet to talk to me. I have one sister that supports me out of three. The other's disrespect me by deadnaming me. They have never called me their sister. I think for them they think it's still a phase. They don't ask questions about me being trans. I have to bring it up and on the look of their faces they don't look comfortable about it. 
    • Mmindy
      Good evening @Ashley0616,   I just got offline with HP tech support trying to get my printer tool box icon locked to my tool bar. This is one of the most important features of my printer that I like because it keeps track of ink, paper, and scanned documents. I'm diffidently not a computer geek.   I'll catch up with the other bookmarks next week. We leave to go home for the Easter Holiday with our families. Saturday with her side, and Sunday with my side. What's odd about that is I'm out to more of her side and they're reluctantly supportive. My side on the other hand are less supportive, and my sister just under me in age will not acknowledge my being there. She will be constantly moving to keep from dealing with me. I'm dead to her.   Hugs,   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋  
    • Ashley0616
      I used to follow baseball and the team I would cheer for is Boston Red Sox. My favorite player was Papi. He was an awesome guy and even held a child during the National Anthem. I haven't watched baseball for a long time. It just died off to me. 
    • Ashley0616
      That stinks that nothing transferred, and no bookmarks were saved! 
    • Ashley0616
      I'm doing patches for now but I think soon I'll go to shots because it's hard to alternate when you are doing two xx patches at once. Unless she gives me Estradiol and progesterone
    • Sally Stone
      Go Cleveland Guardians!  I love baseball and I loved playing it when I was younger.  
    • Sally Stone
      My view is we are "dependent" on government, because as a society, we are too lazy to stay actively involved. So, we let politicians do our bidding for us.  I think we'd be in a better place government wise if we policed the actions of our politicians.  We elected them; they work for us.  Sadly, we are allowing them to run amok.  We are where we are because we have chosen to let politicians make all decisions without us.  Remember "by the people, for the people?" That was the intent of our democracy.  Today, however, it is "by the politicians, for the politicians," the people be damned. 
    • Mmindy
      "Play Ball! Batter Up!" is the closing line of the National Anthem as far as I'm concerned. It's the call of the Home Plate Umpire and signals the start of the game. I grew up in the TV and Radio broadcast of the St. Louis Cardinals. Harry Caray, Jack Buck, Tim McCarver, and Mike Shannon, were the voices on my transistor radio. KMOX 1120 AM pushing 50,000 watts of Class A clear-channel non-directional signal. It could be picked up all across MO, IL, IN to the East. KS, OK, CO to the West. IA, MN to the North, and KY, TN, AR to the South. There has always been a rivalry against the Chicago Cubs, in the National League. As for the American League, I have to pull for the Kansas City Royals. I've also been a Little League Umpire, and fan of everything the Little League stands for. Going to Williamsport, PA and seeing the Little League World Series is in my top 10 things to do on my bucket list.   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • Mmindy
      Good evening everyone,   I don't think my mother ever cooked a meal that I didn't like. We also had a kitchen where mom fixed the food, dad filled your plate, and you eat it. It wasn't until our baby brother was born that we could have Pop-Tarts for snacks. Before that all snacks had to meet mom's approval, and in her opinion wouldn't prevent you from eating supper.   Well my day started off on a good note, but has become frustrating because my IT person didn't transfer my saved videos I use for teaching. Then I found out that they didn't save any of my book marks for websites I use frequently.   Best wishes, stay motivated,   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • MaeBe
      The number is relative to method of deliver, the time of the dose, and when the blood is drawn. However, I do want to keep away from DVT and other potential issues. I assume I may be getting backed down from my current dose, but my doc told me to stick with the higher dose, so? I also wonder if this has anything to do the my breast growth and mental changes that have been happening over the past few years, like I have some estrogen sensitivity so a little goes a long way or something? I don't have enough data to postulate, but who knows!   With weekly, subcutaneous, shots you expect to see big swings of serum level estradiol from shot to peak to trough. My doctor is interested in mid-week testing (for E and T levels only), which would be post-peak blood serum levels but they will be higher than trough. Most, if not all, resources I've seen online is to measure at trough (which I might do just to do it next time) along with a SHBG, LH, and other metrics.   This is from transfemscience.org for Estradiol valerate in oil, which is very spiky compared to some other estradiol combinations. It's also for intramuscular, which will have a slower uptake and is usually dosed in higher volume due to the slower absorption rate from muscles. They don't have subcutaneous numbers, which I would expect to see similar spikes but higher levels at similar doses due to the relatively higher absorption rate direct from fat.   Are you doing pills, shots, or patches? And when you do get your levels checked are you getting that done when your levels are lowest or some other time?
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.