• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How do You Feel About Old Pictures of Yourself -- I Mean Really Old?

VickySGV

How Do You Feel About Old Pictures Of Yourself -- I Mean Really Old?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Feel About Old Pictures Of Yourself -- I Mean Really Old?

• OK with pictures before age 5
    • OK with pictures up to puberty
    • NOT OK with any pictures before Transition
    • I am not happy but they can stay in VERY OLD family albums.

• Admin

I was going through a box of stuff from the estate of a dead relative and found pictures from my childhood, and I mean infancy, one of them was me at 4 months old -- in the nude, genital area hidden and no hair.  I actually had to chuckle and simply think did they ever guess?

KathyLauren

It depends on the audience.  There are some adult pre-transition pictures that I would share with trans friends if I had a reason to.  And my baby pics are pretty cute.

28067388757_ba6651db9f_m.jpg

• Forum Moderator

I have no issue with old photos.  They are a snapshot in time.  Some of them are dorky and some are cute (I'm talking to you @KathyLauren)  No worse than anyone else's I guess.

Jani

RunValRun

If anything, I would rather show old pictures as I was so much more photogenic as a child than later in life and even less so now 😀

As I look and think about pictures from earlier in my life. I actually wish I would have realized that I was really a girl. But then again. Even if I did. I doubt anyone I knew back then would have supported me. just about like today. I'd be alone. So why dwell on the past.

Kymmie

I mean I havent really transitioned so my old pictures are just weird...

• Forum Moderator
Jackie C.

I do not like being reminded of the person I used to be. I don't really like looking at them. That person staring back isn't really me. There are a couple of pictures I'm OK with, but it's more about the person in the picture with me. I'd cut myself out given half a chance. The reminders kind of ache, you know?

Hugs!

Emily michelle

I don’t look at my old pictures. All I think about is why did I hide it for so long. Maybe later on I may not mind seeing them just not now.

I was just looking at all of the pictures I have of myself.  In my case, I didn't really over compensate.  Instead I rode that line between masculine and feminine.  The photos make me feel like a total coward now...but times were different.

One upside to looking back...I'm realizing that people may not be all that surprised when I come clean.

20201015_202536_Burst01.jpg

ElizabethStar

I would rather not see old pictures of myself. Thankfully there are only a very small handful left of my childhood and not to many as an adult.  I was such a sad and miserable person before.

1 hour ago, ElizabethStar said:

I was such a sad and miserable person before.

Now...

"I can't hear you over my happiness".

Way better.

I got to see photos they put together for brother's funeral. Many had my former self from young until about a year ago and to tell the truth I didn't feel like I knew that person and so another reason I believe?HRT and transition continues to feel more and more like the right path I should have been on if society was more tolerant back then and I had realized all the pain and suffering I would go through to get to this point.

Old pictures don't really bother me a whole lot.  That was in another life.  And they're there, so what can I do?

There were good times.  And that was certainly most of my life.

Ok.  Maybe it's a little uncomfortable…

I think current pix bother me more.  Not because I don't like who I am, but I feel like I look like crap compared to how I wish I looked.

Maybe I'll get past this in time.  At least I hope so.

I try to think more about how I feel on the inside.

It's complicated.

@Jandi totally understand. Although I shouldn't I use face app and dream what could have been but can't have but at least I am happy with transition no matter what the outside ends up looking like. As Jessica Lange tells the Tom Wilkerson mtg husband when she finally accepts him... "You gotta use what you got."

Now, when I see old photos of myself its like I know that person .. but I don't really KNOW that person anymore.  Hard to describe.

Interestingly....my oldest brother died last week and yesterday I saw a collage of photos of his life. As you can imagine there were photos that included me at many different ages. I looked at these photos, many I had never seen before and I hardly knew that person I was. I saw a person who was lost and didn't know it at the time and looked lost. I hope as I transition I truly find me.

• 3 weeks later...
Overalls Bear

Years ago now (probably 15 or 20) I destroyed every picture I had of myself & my family of origin. My wife & I have never been picture takers. I was an only child & all of the extended family members I grew up with (including my parents) are now long-since deceased. If there are any pictures of me left in existence anywhere, I don't know about them. If I did, I would do whatever I could to destroy those too. When I die I hope to just fade away like the Cheshire Cat leaving nothing behind but my grimace... 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 49 Guests (See full list)

• Jocelyn
    • Astrid
    • logan :)
    • claire1000
    • Red_Lauren.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Bea
    Newest Member
    Bea

No users celebrating today
    • DonkeySocks
      I will not be medically transitioning, because the physical risks aren't worth it for me vs. my dysphoria. Transitioning is a spectrum, there's passing in public, changing pronouns but not appearance, and medically transitioning... I think sometimes there's a tendency not to be certain about where the stopping point is. Instead of saying "never", people might say, "it'd be nice if someday... so I'm not sure yet."  It's true that sometimes it makes some aspects of dysphoria worse.   Also, there's a stigma which I really hope goes away soon, but there's this toxicity about not being "trans enough" and sometimes people have valid fears about facing that stigma, and so stay quiet about not transitioning. Everyone here on this forum has been very non-judgmental about that though, so it's more of an overall thing, not something I've experienced so far in this community. If you want to speak out about not transitioning, if it helps you to feel more validated to talk about it, then every time you speak up, you might be helping to validate the experience of someone who's reading quietly on the sidelines. I think it's especially vital that kids who identify as trans understand that there are any number of paths they could take.
    • Willow
      Hi,   speaking of Thanksgiving dinner, my wife and I will definitely be alone.  I bought a turkey breast, I’m making acorn squash and stuffing.  My wife will roast the turkey, make asparagus and she already made cranberry sauce..   I’ll probably make waffles for breakfast but we’ll have to see about that.   if you are driving, be safe .   happy thanksgiving   Willow 
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.wric.com/news/crime/richmond-shooting-claims-life-of-transgender-woman/   May ChaeMeshia find peace.  Her death is a tragedy, the first of the new year, if we're starting from Nov. 20th.  My heart aches.   Carolyn Marie
    • A. Dillon
      Quick question - is this the most sick thing ever? I dare you to find better. I want this thing so bad, and there are matching shorts too. [email protected] on a whole new level dude. This is why I love RipNDip   https://www.ripndipclothing.com/products/dragonerm-hoodie-cream
    • Denisenj
      When you have that desire to blend in and pass, you must practice all techniques on being a female I felt really good tonight with this attempt  
    • Jandi
      It is hard when the people we love don't accept us.
    • A. Dillon
      Here is the run down, at least in my experience: - dick jokes - making fun of their friends - messing with the weaker ones, but in a jokey way - the occasional deep conversation with some reassurance, you can count on your boys for anything - cars and stupid stuff they do - dick jokes again   Basically, guys are typically rude, disrespectful, and like joking around. But deep down, the person that you make fun of the most, the one who makes fun of you the most, is the kind of guy that would help you hide the body. Loyal to a fault, and always willing to call you on your crap. At least, the good kind of guys. Avoid anyone who seems to like pretending that he likes people just so he can be popular, they are corrupted.
    • Susan R
      I’m surprised there’s not another group there labeled as being for members who “can’t transition” which would probably be a small subset of the “not transitioning” group. I know two people in this “can’t transition” category and originally they were planning on medically transitioning but for serious health reasons and their age, they can’t.   The interesting thing about these two ‘non-transitioning’ trans individuals is that their wives are more active within the community than they are themselves. My wife and I, for instance, correspond much more often with the significant other regarding their trans spouse’s trials and tribulations than from them themselves. In both cases, thy’ve reached a point where they can only express themselves privately. One friend, however, does go to trans related events out of their residential area...or used to pre-covid.   They definitely exist. I haven’t talked to one of them in several months and I think they may have just accepted the fact that transitioning was not in the cards for them.   It’s very possible that some non-transitioning members have found a place where they no longer feel a strong need or desire to discuss it further or focus on it as much. There have been several trans individuals here and on other forums that have made a personal choice not to transition for the good of a relationship or work or life situation. It is possible a few have felt hearing about others moving forward in their journey makes their decision more difficult. Everyone has their reasons and all are equally valid.   Susan R🌷
    • Lee H
      Hi Red? Lauren? Red_Lauren?   I think my GT is helping me figure out ideas and actions that will help me move toward becoming more authentically the person I want to be, and comfortable with her. So far, it feels very genuine to me. Eg, Helping me identify and actually think about the stuff I usually just ice over and mush on. I don't think it will be a circular self-fulfilling prophecy, as in "I went to counseling to find out I need to go to counseling." That was my question at first, but so far, so good.   I think there is an app. on this site with GT referrals by locale. If not here, there are some on Google.   I'm not advocating that you seek gender therapist counseling. Whatever works, works. The VA offers me this service as part of LGBTQ Vets medical coverage. If it were out of pocket, I couldn't afford it, but then I'm trying to live on Social Security. I can't afford anything anyway....[I do see great deals on bras on ebay, however.]   ~~With a hug, from Lee~~
    • KymmieL
      We three are going to our middle sons place tomorrow.  If I  were going  alone I would  so wear a dress or something feminine.  As him and his wife are my. Only  support in my family.    Kymmie 
    • Jandi
      Hi Ivy. Heh, heh,  I'm afraid I won't be much help here since I've never really figured that out myself. I think you just have to be yourself.  But, guys are weird.
    • CallMeKeira
      Hello, Squish! Nice to meet you.   The folks 'round these parts are fantastic.   - Keira
    • lachallenger
      Typed words alone cannot convey how happy I am to find that there are others in the world not so unlike myself - a circumstance that is relatively new to me.
    • Jandi
      Thanks for your insight! This is the kind of thing we want to hear and understand.
    • Jackie C.
      Lying to people hurts them. Lying to yourself hurts you. I hurt myself for forty-eight years before I realized that maybe I should do something about that. After I stopped lying to myself, it was killing me to lie to my wife. My therapist told me to wait. That lasted about a week.   The point I'm getting at is you should tell this girl up front what's going on. You can't build a relationship on a foundation of lies. She might be more receptive than you expect.   Hugs!
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.