• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Cautionary Tale

Kylie

Hi all! Sorry I’ve been MIA for the last week, but below I will detail as to why. 

It has been almost 3 months since my GCS. I’ve had some ups and downs during that time, but coming out on the other side. Unfortunately last week my grandmother died so that is where my story begins. I was doing a lot of traveling between where I live and my hometown. I was keeping up with my normal post op schedule, eating semi-right but not drinking water like I should. Last Tuesday I noted that I was peeing a little less and urine was cloudy, but at the time I couldn’t address it. Fast forward to Saturday morning, the funeral. I woke up at 5am to get ready, I noticed I was having some mild back pain and what I thought were chills. So I decided to check my temp, 100.5. A bit high for me, but I generally felt fine. So I left home bound and got thru the funeral. Shortly after the funeral was over I noticed I was getting a headache and persistent back pain was not getting relief. I told my family I was headed back home to deal with personal issues. Once I arrived home I went in to change clothes and decided to do a Virtual Visit with an MD instead of going into the urgent care. Can’t be too cautious these days. Received an antibiotic for a presumed UTI. Trouble begin then, shortly after ending the video call, I begin to have intense chills, fever of 104 and began vomiting. Trip to the hospital was in order. Turns out my UTI had spread to my kidneys and I was now Septic. After days of ups and downs I have finally recovered and feeling back to my normal state. 

Moral of this story? Even as a Nurse, an ICU Nurse at that; I see subtle changes with my patients and act quickly to address. Yet when i was the one in need of noticing changes within myself, I failed. While GCS has given me so much happiness, I failed to remember how easy a UTI can occur with this new anatomy and I have to stay on top of it. Remember, stay safe and listen to our body! It knows best! 

• Forum Moderator

Omg I am so happy you are recovering. I am sad to hear about your grandmother. I am so glad being a nurse you knew rapid action was needed and you did. I hope you are feeling better going into your new job in November.

• Forum Moderator

I'm glad you got help as quickly as you did.  Thank you for the reminder!

Hugs,

Charlize

Thank you all! It definitely was a rough few days. Really made me think about how to be more proactive in my overall health!

• Forum Moderator

Yikes! I'm glad you're recovering @Kylie. That is absolutely a cautionary tale. Take care of yourself! Always.

Also, medical professionals make just the WORST patients. Do not play fast and loose with your rules. Insert playful finger wag. Again. Take care of yourself sweetie.

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator
13 hours ago, Kylie said:

Moral of this story? Even as a Nurse, an ICU Nurse at that; I see subtle changes with my patients and act quickly to address. Yet when i was the one in need of noticing changes within myself, I failed.

Who cares for the care giver? As you probably know, the worst running car on the road is the mechanic's. The house that really needs painted is the painter's house.

I'm sorry for your family loss, and hope you continue to get better.

Hugs,

Mindy???

Thanks to each of you! I agree, i am a terrible patient. This was a lesson for me for sure to pay more attention to my own body. This has given me a lot to think on! 

• Forum Moderator
On 10/23/2020 at 4:20 AM, Kylie said:

While GCS has given me so much happiness, I failed to remember how easy a UTI can occur with this new anatomy and I have to stay on top of it.

Thank God you’re OK, Kylie. Septic is a monster. My father passed from an abdominal infection that went septic. It’s scary stuff. I will be sure to drink more water myself. I drink about 48-64 oz or water a day but also drink a lot of diuretic liquids...mainly coffee and tea. I used to be a strict 96oz. of water per day up until a year ago. I think I need to increase it again. I don’t want to get a UTI after reading your account.

Thanks for sharing this important news. It has brought to light the importance of water every day. It’s so easy to let it slide.

My Best,

Susan R?

I agree @Susan R  I know as a Nurse how susceptible females are to a UTI but even with my new anatomy I thought I wouldn’t need to worry since I’m young. I stand corrected! I got sick, and sick FAST. It definitely opened my eyes. I’m changing a lot of my habits. 

• Forum Moderator

I was warned that I'd be more susceptible with my new anatomy and had read that trans-people in general are more susceptible because we can't always pee when we need to. I've been super careful with the hardware upgrade. Nothing happens to my precious.

Hugs!