• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Blue Cross of CA Fined Over Transgender Coverage Delays

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

I know this is specific but just at the moment insurance companies seem to be making a point of dragging their heels over paying in general quite a lot of the time.

I have not looked into it but I wonder which is to be favoured - coverage via health insurance which is iffy at times over payout through company (and location?) or coverage via health (NHS here) which is limited by resources.

Tracy

I am wondering if this was a conscious plan by Blue Cross to delay coverage/services or if they're just not competent.  My assumption is the former.
Same as @tracy_j I believe a lot of insurance providers might be dragging their feet for these (and other) types of coverage, just waiting to see if Obamacare is overturned by SCOTUS .. and who wins next week. 

• Admin

Here in CA, there could be one other issue that has not been mentioned yet, and that is the BC / BS group is overwhelmed by the COVID-19 situation.  They are a major provider of insurance for the "essential" workers most likely to become COVID victims.  The State and County retirement systems that administer health plans for public employees all offer the BC / BS plans as well as the Public Utilities companies.  At one time I had the Blue Cross medical insurance and although this was 50 years ago, they were slow back then in processing claims which is why I opted for different coverage.  In California, by matter of state law, they must provide for Trans health care, so it is not a matter of SCOTUS or national health care issues.  I have seen our State Insurance commission stats on Trans health care and it is a negligible amount compared to their overall payouts. 

• Forum Moderator
Jackie C.

Once upon a time, I worked in insurance. The golden rule is, and always has been, "Insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums, not mailing payouts." In an insurance company you are always pressured to pay out the minimum possible amount or, preferably, nothing at all. I think we're just noticing it more because the system is overtaxed by COVID right now.

Hugs!

• Admin
3 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

The golden rule is, and always has been

That should be "Rule of The Gold" there. 

• Forum Moderator
Jackie C.
3 hours ago, VickySGV said:

That should be "Rule of The Gold" there. 

Yeah, that's fair.

Hugs!

23 hours ago, VickySGV said:

that is the BC / BS group is overwhelmed by the COVID-19 situation. 

23 hours ago, VickySGV said:

In California, by matter of state law, they must provide for Trans health care, so it is not a matter of SCOTUS or national health care issues.

That's a good perspective Vicky.  Thanks for sharing that!  YEAH for California❣️

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 72 Guests (See full list)

• Carolyn Marie
    • VickySGV
    • Willow
    • Wes
    • RunValRun
    • Denisenj
    • Sandra6sandy9sand
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Bea
    Newest Member
    Bea

No users celebrating today
    • A. Dillon
      Quick question - is this the most sick thing ever? I dare you to find better. I want this thing so bad, and there are matching shorts too. [email protected] on a whole new level dude. This is why I love RipNDip   https://www.ripndipclothing.com/products/dragonerm-hoodie-cream
    • Denisenj
      When you have that desire to blend in and pass, you must practice all techniques on being a female I felt really good tonight with this attempt  
    • Jandi
      It is hard when the people we love don't accept us.
    • A. Dillon
      Here is the run down, at least in my experience: - dick jokes - making fun of their friends - messing with the weaker ones, but in a jokey way - the occasional deep conversation with some reassurance, you can count on your boys for anything - cars and stupid stuff they do - dick jokes again   Basically, guys are typically rude, disrespectful, and like joking around. But deep down, the person that you make fun of the most, the one who makes fun of you the most, is the kind of guy that would help you hide the body. Loyal to a fault, and always willing to call you on your crap. At least, the good kind of guys. Avoid anyone who seems to like pretending that he likes people just so he can be popular, they are corrupted.
    • Susan R
      I’m surprised there’s not another group there labeled as being for members who “can’t transition” which would probably be a small subset of the “not transitioning” group. I know two people in this “can’t transition” category and originally they were planning on medically transitioning but for serious health reasons and their age, they can’t.   The interesting thing about these two ‘non-transitioning’ trans individuals is that their wives are more active within the community than they are themselves. My wife and I, for instance, correspond much more often with the significant other regarding their trans spouse’s trials and tribulations than from them themselves. In both cases, thy’ve reached a point where they can only express themselves privately. One friend, however, does go to trans related events out of their residential area...or used to pre-covid.   They definitely exist. I haven’t talked to one of them in several months and I think they may have just accepted the fact that transitioning was not in the cards for them.   It’s very possible that some non-transitioning members have found a place where they no longer feel a strong need or desire to discuss it further or focus on it as much. There have been several trans individuals here and on other forums that have made a personal choice not to transition for the good of a relationship or work or life situation. It is possible a few have felt hearing about others moving forward in their journey makes their decision more difficult. Everyone has their reasons and all are equally valid.   Susan R🌷
    • Lee H
      Hi Red? Lauren? Red_Lauren?   I think my GT is helping me figure out ideas and actions that will help me move toward becoming more authentically the person I want to be, and comfortable with her. So far, it feels very genuine to me. Eg, Helping me identify and actually think about the stuff I usually just ice over and mush on. I don't think it will be a circular self-fulfilling prophecy, as in "I went to counseling to find out I need to go to counseling." That was my question at first, but so far, so good.   I think there is an app. on this site with GT referrals by locale. If not here, there are some on Google.   I'm not advocating that you seek gender therapist counseling. Whatever works, works. The VA offers me this service as part of LGBTQ Vets medical coverage. If it were out of pocket, I couldn't afford it, but then I'm trying to live on Social Security. I can't afford anything anyway....[I do see great deals on bras on ebay, however.]   ~~With a hug, from Lee~~
    • KymmieL
      We three are going to our middle sons place tomorrow.  If I  were going  alone I would  so wear a dress or something feminine.  As him and his wife are my. Only  support in my family.    Kymmie 
    • Jandi
      Hi Ivy. Heh, heh,  I'm afraid I won't be much help here since I've never really figured that out myself. I think you just have to be yourself.  But, guys are weird.
    • CallMeKeira
      Hello, Squish! Nice to meet you.   The folks 'round these parts are fantastic.   - Keira
    • lachallenger
      Typed words alone cannot convey how happy I am to find that there are others in the world not so unlike myself - a circumstance that is relatively new to me.
    • Jandi
      Thanks for your insight! This is the kind of thing we want to hear and understand.
    • Jackie C.
      Lying to people hurts them. Lying to yourself hurts you. I hurt myself for forty-eight years before I realized that maybe I should do something about that. After I stopped lying to myself, it was killing me to lie to my wife. My therapist told me to wait. That lasted about a week.   The point I'm getting at is you should tell this girl up front what's going on. You can't build a relationship on a foundation of lies. She might be more receptive than you expect.   Hugs!
    • Jackie C.
      Not at all. Like @Shay said; medically transitioning isn't for everybody. It's difficult, a bit perilous and expensive. I have a dear friend who is both trans and not considering transitioning. They dress as their authentic self when time and the situation permits and present the rest of the time as male. They aren't any less valid than I am. The entire point of transitioning is to find a place where you feel like your authentic self. Then you stop. Some girls don't get bottom surgery. Some don't do hormones. I probably won't do top surgery. They're all equally valid and welcome members of our community.   I admit they don't talk about it as much. I imagine there's not as much need when you've already found what makes you feel complete. Or at least not as much on internet forums. My friend has been a member and led several transgender support groups in their area.   Hugs!
    • Overalls Bear
    • Shay
      There are plenty of others and several I know here - I am not one of them - but it depends on WHAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU. You are what matters and what you do is what is right for you. Being trans does not mean it is manitory to transition. I suspect you will receive replies from others I speak about and I will let them speak for themselves - know you are loved and know whatever is right for you is what you should and need to do. Don't feel pushed or pressured by anyone.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.