• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Record Number of Deaths of Transgenders - for Being WHO THEY ARE

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator

I read an article on-line in Time Magazine and CNN and Ali Velshi commented this morning about transgenders especially women of color killed for BEING WHO THEY ARE. He mentioned Biden mentioned transgenders in his accpetance speech (1st President to do so) and that Kamala Harris posts her pronouns. I am humbled by the bravery of so many of you here and those who came before us from the Danish Girl to Renee Richards to the Soldier's Girl to Kristin Beck to Marci Bowers to Christine McGinn to Amanda Simpson and all the trans-men and the first non-binary U.S. Representative - you are my hero(ine)s. 

I have been afraid all my life and growing up when I did and where I did to conservative Catholic Polish Americans - I could never face the fact I was a woman and desperately wanted to be WHO I AM. These incredible strong and brave pioneers deserve all the praise we can bestow upon them and my HRT tears thank them ALL for their love and sacrifices on my behalf.

image.thumb.png.b061beec1a5daa8950a8c7d58786c17c.png

• Forum Moderator

Moved to the News section by the Great and Powerful @Jackie C.

This is absolutely tragic. Whenever we start to make progress as a society, there are always hateful, ignorant people who try to drag us backwards. Still, we're making progress and that gives me hope.

Absolutely a moment of silence to remember and thank all the men and women taken from us for daring to live their lives. You were taken too soon. You deserved better.

Hugs!

• Admin

I have done presentations to cis gender groups, where the number of deaths and the nature of the murders needs to be brought out.  Brazil and Mexico lead the U.S. numerically in the numbers of our dead, and have been for the time I have been tracking the whole numbers.  This year was a record level, but I suspect that even it was an under-count of the true violence.  We find that the violence is heavily rooted in areas where sexism pushes extreme expectations of what makes a "man" to the point than it is expected that women are prey for a "man", but where homosexuality is a truly horrible stain on  a "man's" social standing to where they fear social ostracism or even violence against themselves. The human race is in need of some education and possibly the junking of some religious beliefs that are too simplistic and do not really convey the wonder of real creation and diversity.

Loving a Trans Person, is not being homosexual, it is being a loving person of another beautiful person.