Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Zenda

Is Transsexualism A Spiritual Thing ?

Guest Zenda   
Guest Zenda

Kia Ora all,

Just a quicky to get minds ticking over-in a nice way I hope...

What is transseualism? Is it a spiritual thing like some believe? or just a plain old congenital conditon like many medical professionals believe?

Did a god make you this way ? Or are we [according to science] freaks of nature perfectly formed but with mismatched anatomy...

Freak=A person or animal that is markedly unusual or deformed...Think about it, depending on how one look at it, we either have a body deformity or a brain deformity...

Metta Jendar :)

Guest Eth   
Guest Eth
just a plain old congenital conditon like many medical professionals believe

freaks of nature perfectly formed but with mismatched anatomy...

a body deformity

I'll go with that. ^^

Guest Evan_J   
Guest Evan_J

*claps hand to forhead. .....This is gonna be good. And please note, this thread has been noticed.

Guest Pól   
Guest Pól

Why should those two things be mutually exclusive?

April63   
April63

I don't think it's a spiritual thing, but this could be a challenge for us created by God to help us grow stronger, or we could just be freaks :P

When you die, why don't you ask?

Guest StrandedOutThere   
Guest StrandedOutThere

It's my brain...but I can't change out my brain. However, I can fix my body to match it.

Guest StrandedOutThere   
Guest StrandedOutThere

Good point.

Guest julia_d   
Guest julia_d

guess it's a medical thing for those of us who don't have some (supposed) higher authority to blame.

Only person I can ask is me.. and my reply is genetic or developmental mix up... perhaps we are a new step in the evolutionary ladder .. or a mutation caused by environmental toxins .. another 100 years of medical research without prejudice should tell the third next generation what the real causes are. I think they will be as varied as we are.

Joanna Phipps   
Joanna Phipps
Kia Ora all,

Freak=A person or animal that is markedly unusual or deformed...Think about it, depending on how one look at it, we either have a body deformity or a brain deformity...

My brain is fine, its my body that got all the wrong bits

Guest Zenda   
Guest Zenda

Kia Ora Po'l,

I guess some might see it as a medical condition created by a god for man/science to fix...So in this sense it could be seen by some as both -Or perhaps just a 'sprititual' journey through life[a freak of nature can also have a spiritual journey that leads one to understanding and acceptance-thanks to modern science], but not necessarily a ‘god centric’ one…

Kia Ora April, :rolleyes: Whom shall I ask??? and how am I going to let you know the outcome??? ;)

Kia Ora Ansiley :o so you're with Eth in the 'freak' of nature camp, welcome to the club-take a seat help yourselves to a virtual coffee and biscuits :D

Leigh   
Leigh

ditto.

i definitely think that it is both.

the genetic/biological is clearly there.

but the spiritual is there very strongly for me personally, since i believe in 1. reincarnation 2. ummm...just that this is connected to me being reincarnated.

lol..

peace&love

leigh

Guest Ashlee   
Guest Ashlee
Kia Ora all,

Just a quicky to get minds ticking over-in a nice way I hope...

What is transseualism? Is it a spiritual thing like some believe? or just a plain old congenital conditon like many medical professionals believe?

Did a god make you this way ? Or are we [according to science] freaks of nature perfectly formed but with mismatched anatomy...

Kia Ora Metta, (I just finally looked up what 'kia ora' means!)

Do scientists and doctors truly know HOW we are made?

Or, is it really their opinion, or their guess really, on how we are made? When I think about creating a human being, something about it still seems 'magical', so incredibly impossible to explain scientifically.

We are who we are, I think only the person really knows who they really are. Everyone is different, we are shaped by who we associate with, the culture around us, our parents, our parents beliefs, so many, many things cause use to become who we "think" we should be. Some people are accepting of this, others are more rebelious and choose to follow how they truly feel inside.

Freak - The definition of this word is only a definition that was concieved by man. That word could have meant something entirely different, but mankind has determined it to be what it is...

So, are we deformed? I wouldn't call it a deformity, merely something that we would like changed to make us feel, and look, on the outside, the way we feel on the inside.

Ashlee

Guest Treasa   
Guest Treasa

Personally, I think it is a spiritual path (as well as a physical condition). Coming from the pagan perspective (the only perspective I feel competant to respond with) there is a long tradition of those who are different from the norm finding a home with one or another deity. I feel that I was chosen, or I chose, to experience this spiritual and physical journey in this lifetime.

In some ways, like Tiresias, perhaps I can gain a greater understanding.

--Treasa

Guest Justme   
Guest Justme

I think transsexualism is both a spiritual and biologiical journey. Biological. in that we look to change out bodies to match our minds....also spiritual. in that. I believe it takes a strong spiritual sense....whatever that might look like for people....to live as trans. Even the Native Americans....revered trans people and called them two=spirit.

Guest Justme   
Guest Justme

Addition to last post. In Native American belief. to have a two-spirit in your family, was a sign that your family was blessed.

Guest StrandedOutThere   
Guest StrandedOutThere
Kia Ora Ansiley :o so you're with Eth in the 'freak' of nature camp, welcome to the club-take a seat help yourselves to a virtual coffee and biscuits :D

I don't mind!

Brain stuff is medical too after all. In the end, it's ALL a body problem. I believe that the brain gives rise to the mind. If my mind is a certain way, there is a biological basis. Apparently I have a birth uniqueness (I won't say defect). From what I can tell, that uniqueness is in my brain. My body is the part of it that I can fix!

Besides, to be a freak you have to believe that normal exists. I think normal is an illusion.

Guest Ashlee   
Guest Ashlee
Besides, to be a freak you have to believe that normal exists. I think normal is an illusion.

Exactly what I was referring to!

Just what is "normal" ????

I really like what you said, "I think normal is an illusion."

Normal is only what society, religions, scientists and doctors "think" normal is...

Ashlee

Guest StrandedOutThere   
Guest StrandedOutThere
Exactly what I was referring to!

Just what is "normal" ????

I really like what you said, "I think normal is an illusion."

Normal is only what society, religions, scientists and doctors "think" normal is...

Ashlee

...and the definition of "normal" tends to change over time. :)

Guest Zenda   
Guest Zenda

Kia Ora,

I did not intend the word 'freak' to be offensive-just making it more of an acceptable term/explanation...

After all it's just a 'word'

Alyssa Leigh   
Alyssa Leigh

I think that it could be a spiritual thing. I feel that we were created this way to help teach others and help them understand not just by modern science but by each one of us each day that we go out into the world and face the ignorance and rejection of so many people.

Alyssa

Guest Eth   
Guest Eth

I don't mind!

Brain stuff is medical too after all. In the end, it's ALL a body problem. I believe that the brain gives rise to the mind. If my mind is a certain way, there is a biological basis. Apparently I have a birth uniqueness (I won't say defect). From what I can tell, that uniqueness is in my brain. My body is the part of it that I can fix!

YAY!!! We're in the "freak" camp!!! Isn't it awesome to be freaks, Ainsley? ...Ainsley? -sees Ains scooting away from me-

But really I have to second everything Ains said above- We're unique- not "abnormal" or "freakish". And yeah, I too think the brain/mind is part of the body in that it is biological. Sounds like we pretty much agree entirely on how we perceive being transgender as a physical/biological thing.

Guest Zabrak   
Guest Zabrak

I did the same thing as Evan when I saw this thread.

I would of never thought these two had any type of connection. lol

If it was "spiritual" then I would quit it RIGHT NOW. I'm not the type to need to make everything and anything I possibly can spiritual.

Guest Zenda   
Guest Zenda

Oops sorry Jendar I edited instead of replying which is what i was not trying to do. I meant to reply not edit. My apologies. Please repost. Too many shiny buttons, Opps what's this one do? Zap.

Laura

Laura   
Laura

Normal is in the eye of the beholder. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that certain things are in born. Old statistics used to explain this 1 in so many births but with the numbers of transgender we see here those numbers need updating and are way off. When something occurs naturally as part of the birth cycle the expected variation is a normal expectancy not an abnormal one. The problem is when others consider normal results to be abnormal because of their personal beliefs. This doesn't make scientific birth statistics less than normal. This is why I object to the term "freak". All it is. is a birth condition that may need correction much like corrective lenses or even surgery. There are many birth conditions that are normal statistically. Some conditions such as transgenderism just take longer to show up. It doesn't mean they weren't there to begin with. Some things occur less often than others naturally. That's normal. the problem is only in perception.

Laura

Sally   
Sally

Ni sa bula vinaka, Jendar (That is life and good health - shortened to Bula for hello in Fiji - one of the few places that I haven't ever been but one of the couples I photographed went there on their honeymoon and greeted me with that)

I have mixed thoughts to this and believe that it could be a bit of both but the physical is what makes us need to change so badly - for some reason people in general find it easier to ignore their spiritual health than the physical.

The real danger on saying that it is purely spiritual then it becomes a 'choice' or a 'lifestyle' to the people who are already having trouble dealing with it.

I think that I prefer it being listed as a medical condition for dealing with the general public.

Spiritual matters are always the subject of debate and I have had this debate with my self for far too long.

Haere rā or is that E noho rā ? *One, the first is goodbye to the one who is leaving and the other is good bye to the one that is staying - nobody is actually leaving anywhere so I am a bit confused so instead -

Love ya,

Sally

*Translations provided for those who have never had the pleasure of hearing the Maori Language.