• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Amish...electrolysis.....

Guest Donna Jean

Guest Donna Jean

I knew that I'd get your attention with that!

I live in a part of the USA that has lots of Amish...

Buggys, bonnets, beards...yep! Those Amish...

Electrolysis?

My electrologist lives in this area..although 50 miles north....

She told me the she has some Amish clients... ????????????????

Yep! some of the women...blew my socks off...had no idea.....

BUT!

She has been doing electrolysis for ten years...and never had a Trans client...

Until me....

SOoooo.....

As a BIG surprise this morning she told me that she had called a colleague in the city who has had a bunch of Transgender clients....

She said "Tell me about Transgender people".....

Well, this morning on the bed all ready to get my electrolysis...she says .....

"I know all about Transgender people now.... "

And she proceeded to tell me all about the things she had learned...she was SO proud...

And I love her SO much.......

She asked me ...."Do you want me to call you Donna Jean?"

She said.."You can come dressed if you want.....

I told her .."Call me what ever you're comfortable with.."

God! I LOVE this woman....

What a sweetheart....

Sometimes life hands you the Lemonade.............no mixing required...

Good 'ole Donna Jean

I'm so happy for you, but how do you do electrolysis on an Amish Lady?

Just get a needle really, really hot in a flame and then stick it in a folicle before it can cool?

I mean - they don't use electricity!

Well, they say they don't.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Evan_J

Just get a needle really, really hot in a flame and then stick it in a folicle before it can cool?

Love ya,

Sally

ROFL

Guest bronx

I love when people educate themselves and ask questions. Show that they are caring and open minded, I know that made your day it made mine.

Guest Donna Jean
I love when people educate themselves and ask questions. Show that they are caring and open minded, I know that made your day it made mine.

Yes, Hon...........

I was so VERY impressed and honored that she would to go to the trouble to find out all about me...

And as I lay there she proceeded to tell me all kinds of things that I already knew, but I wasn't about to interrupt her! She was enjoying using her new found knowledge!

Love

Donna Jean

Guest Elizabeth K
Yes, Hon...........

I was so VERY impressed and honored that she would to go to the trouble to find out all about me...

And as I lay there she proceeded to tell me all kinds of things that I already knew, but I wasn't about to interrupt her! She was enjoying using her new found knowledge!

Love

Donna Jean

Well I thought she might have looked you up in Wikipedia, but it must have come from somewhere else because this is what i found:

Minx

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As well as its dictionary meaning of a pert, flirtatious or impudent young woman, minx may refer to:

Hillman Minx, a car

Minnie the Minx, a comic character

Slinkee Minx, an Australian dance act

an archaic spelling of mink

MinX, the British TV channel from Chart Show Channels

Minx, Toyah Willcox's first solo album

Minx (comics), a DC Comics imprint

Short for Megaminx, a puzzle similar to Rubik's Cube

Minx cat, a misspelling of Manx cat

Minx, a character in Zork

Minx, a sweetheart of a girl at Laura's

Lizzy

Guest StrandedOutThere

Love ya,

Sally

LOLOLOLOL! I can hear the sssssssssssssssssssssssssssss now. OUCH!

Maybe it doesn't count as using electricity if someone else is using it on you. Technically is benefiting from the electricity, but not using it directly. What I find even more intriguing is that an Amish person would do something that, at least for cisgender people, is mostly cosmetic. Like...my dad has talked about getting electrolysis for his ear hair, but that's because he's a vain dude.

Guest bronx

Ear hair is not cool, I've just started to grow hair out of and around my ears now thats something I didn't expect to happen. If I could afford it I would get that removed permanatly. It's wierd shaving my ears and it feels funny.

Ear hair is not cool, I've just started to grow hair out of and around my ears now thats something I didn't expect to happen. If I could afford it I would get that removed permanatly. It's wierd shaving my ears and it feels funny.

And it will continue to pop up in odd places as you grow older and in very wierd patterns!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Donna Jean
LOLOLOLOL! I can hear the sssssssssssssssssssssssssssss now. OUCH!

Maybe it doesn't count as using electricity if someone else is using it on you. Technically is benefiting from the electricity, but not using it directly. What I find even more intriguing is that an Amish person would do something that, at least for cisgender people, is mostly cosmetic. Like...my dad has talked about getting electrolysis for his ear hair, but that's because he's a vain dude.

The Amish are everywhere...

You have to drive carefully as they clip-clop down the road in their buggys...The are stopped in 1699...

They have no electric to their houses

You will be driving along and see a phone booth in a cornfield by the road...they can use it, but not have in their house...

They're incredible carpenters...I had them build an addition on my place for half of the money that a contractor wanted and in half of the time!

They can ride in a vehicle...they just can't own or drive one...

They can't have pneumatic tires on their buggys, only hard tires (Soft tires are considered a luxury)

They speak German among themselves and un-accented English to us....

They call everyone else "English"

You may notice that The Amish men have a beard, but no mustache...They were persecuted

by people with mustaches in the 1600's so that is the only thing that they shave!

The kids are allowed a radio in their room...only powered by a car battery...

Around the age of 18 the kids are allowed to basically go "Wild" and have a year to decide if they will stay in the community...most do. BUT........

It's rather odd to go by a bar in the country and see buggies tied all along the parking lot...The kids get roaring drunk...then their friends pour them in the buggy and slap the horse on the butt!

On Sunday mornings you'll see a horse grazing in an Amish front yard with a passed out kid in in the buggy....

They WILL NOT fight you although most Amish are quite strong from all of the manual labor that they do!

They shop in WalMart just like everyone else....

Not only do the kids at WalMart go out and bring in the shopping carts..the have to shovel....well, you know...

You must watch your step in most parking lots around here (horses!)

They look at me like I'm weird....I look at them like they're weird.....lol

They are very loving and hard working people...

If there is a fire and a house or barn burns down..the entire community rebuilds a new one in a couple of days...

I put all of this here because I realize that a lot of you have no idea about them and only what you see in the movies...They are quite common around these parts...

Now....where did I lay my bonnet???

Donna Jean

Guest StrandedOutThere

That's a lot of info! Wow...

There are people driving around in horses and carriages in my home town too, but for different reasons. Tourism.

There is a group of people who are like Amish (but not quite) out in South Carolina. I think they are called Mennonites. I ate at this Mennonite restaurant one time. Whatever they believe, they can make some good fried chicken.

I remember that I had this laser pointer I was playing with at the restaurant. The Mennonite kids were AMAZED by it.

There are people driving around in horses and carriages in my home town too, but for different reasons. Tourism.

There is a group of people who are like Amish (but not quite) out in South Carolina. I think they are called Mennonites. I ate at this Mennonite restaurant one time. Whatever they believe, they can make some good fried chicken.

I remember that I had this laser pointer I was playing with at the restaurant. The Mennonite kids were AMAZED by it.

The Mennonites have a community in Arkansas as well.

I don't know if there are still any Shakers but they were in Kentucky and one of their communities is preserved at Pleasant Hill as a museum and is operated to show the Shaker's way of life, including manufacturing simple but sturdy furniture and the meals are from original Shaker recipes - have the Lemon Pie if you get a chance!

Their great meeting hall had two entrances because the men and women were separated at all times - children were adopted - that is a fact, my knowledge of the Shakers was due to an orphaned Great Great Grandmother - raised by them.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Evan_J

There is a Mennonite community near my uncle's home. He was born in Tennessee and in his retirement years has decided to move back. Apparently he and the mennonites have a very close relationship. I'm of the understanding (via his stories) is that they don't allow "outsiders" to live in the area populated by their community, however, because the trust level was so high, apparently one of the leadership said that if he so desired he could and that they would build him a house. I say all of that so that you have a basis for the next part of the story..... Along the way one my cousins, his grandson came to visit. He was 17 or 18 and had visited on several previous occasions. On this particular visit, one of the Mennonite daughters presented him with a gift. Unbeknowst to him, apparently this "gift" is symbolic in their community. Accepting it was basically saying that he was agreeing to an engagement :P:lol: I don't think there's ever been a teenage boy that made it to the Mennonite area that fast; he not only returned the gift he hasn't been back to visit in 3 years LOL

Guest Donna Jean
Unbeknowst to him, apparently this "gift" is symbolic in their community. Accepting it was basically saying that he was agreeing to an engagement :P:lol: I don't think there's ever been a teenage boy that made it to the Mennonite area that fast; he not only returned the gift he hasn't been back to visit in 3 years LOL

OMG...Evan..... :lol:

Ya gotta watch other's customs...find yourself in a world of _____

Where's he live now? Mongolia?....LOL!

Donna Jean

• 1 year later...
Guest lexie

I knew that I'd get your attention with that!

I live in a part of the USA that has lots of Amish...

Electrolysis?

I am not that far from the area you speak of. Who do you go to?