• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hopeless

Guest Naomi Stardust

Guest Naomi Stardust

i am depressed

i feel like everything is hopeless

i want to give up curl in a corner with a candy bar and cry for a week

not to mention some suicidal thoughts

the thing is

earlier today was a great day...

then the fast food binge

i haven't had fast food for a few months until this evening

an hour after eating what i recognized at the time as too much

i was hungry again

however (thanks to my therapist) i am learning to be more self aware

so i noticed that i was happy, then miserable and the only cause i can think of is poor diet

(also instead of moping around feeling sorry for myself i am trying to do something constructive here on Laura's)

so my question for everyone is, one, are you depressed often

two, do you think it has anything to do with an unhealthy diet

and three, any suggestions on what to do about it? (yeah, don't eat fast food, a guy went to the doctor said doc, it hurts when i do this, doc said, don't do that! more detail than that! give me some steps!)

also, how addictive (if at all) do you think junk food is?

Naomi,

You have the very typical deprssion that comes from junk food but in particular hi carbs and sugars - they burn much faster than a lot of the protiens and other food groups so what happens when the sugars and carbs burn off - you hit a depression.

Fried potatoes are very bad for this, and we usually get way too much bread in all most all fast foods.

I read an article that said that the use of corn syrup as a sweetneer (tons of it in colas) may actually trigger a hunger responce.

I know that drinking a bottle of Kyro Light Corn Syrup does not quinch my thirst so I don't really like having it here in the soft drinks but it is cheaper than sugar so they just don't care.

To off-set the quick digesting carbs and sugars try having more dairy - it digest nuch more slowly, a grilled cheese sandwich was going to be digested slower than a hamburger!

Try having soup or an omlette for dinner and don't snack!

Love ya,

Sally

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pioneer

One thing I noticed from my experience is that diet coke makes me extremely hungry and crave for food even after I eat and eat. I drink about 2 diet coke a day and I think it has opposite affect than good. I'm not trying to lose weight although I drink it for tastes since the regular coke has too much sugar in it which also can make depression worse.

Guest ~Brenda~

Oh Naomi!

Sweetheart, HUGS hon.

Dear, depression about eating is really about feeling guilty about what you ate not so much about the nutritional food content itself.

Now hon, stay away from breads, pizza, cheese burgers french fries as much asd possible. A low carb diet is the way to go hon. You will feel great, stay thin, be limber!!!

I sneak a Bic Mac meal every once in a while (only eat half of the fries). Most of the time I will eat a salad with no dressing (just some pepper on it does nicely!). A steak or chicken breast for protien.

Sodas... no... never.

Ice water... you bet!!

Juice in the morning (real juice, not the "light" juice). Light juice is really sugar water, no nutritional value.

It is important to have a welll balanced diet. Eat real foods. Don't over eat!! Eat just enough to keep you healthy.

When you have it right, you will eat when you are hungry. If you are finding that you are eating becuase it is the time of day to do so, but you are not hungry yet... you are eating too much!

Hope this helps hon!!!

HUGS

Brenda

Guest Elizabeth K

Crave sugar? Eat fresh fruit!

Get real hungry? Eat protein products - they stay with you a loooong time - it takes the body a longer process to digest.

Thirsty? Drink good, clear water. NEVER drink diet drinks, they make you hungry again.

Crave junk food? Think how it is made! Its mainly empty calories. Use your allowance of calories on food that you like and that is good for you.

Yes - depression and sugar - yikes - a cycle!

Hope this helps a bit.

Lizzy