• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Rachel Roo Story Is A Hoax: Retraction.

I have pulled the story about Rachel Roo as the story can't be verified. Things just didn't add up. This morning we traced the IP and there is no story in the local paper in that town. A story of this nature would be in the public domain. Roo has been a staff member here for a year and has never made up stories before. " It appears to be a hoax and one that is in very poor taste and hurting the trans community heavily in a time when we are fighting very hard to be understood."

I extend my sincerest apologies to the community for reporting the story without verification. I Posted it because I thought I knew the person personally and was grief stricken. She was a staff member for a year. I was upset over the loss and verification wasn't first on my mind. We were all fooled. I feel like such an idiot. If she were a new member I would have been more cautious.

Laura

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sally

• Sakura

• Paula ult

• Carolyn Marie

That's ... ridiculous. How could somebody make that up?

Nonetheless, I hope that you do not completely remove that topic. The way I see it is, this is a good thing.

1. Even if it was a lie, she's not dead and wasn't tortured so horribly. This is great, and I am sure that every one of us is very happy to hear this.

2. A lot of us felt scared, angry, and very emotional when we posted on that topic. In our moment of intense emotional drama, I think we were able to come together and ask and answer some very important questions that reflect on all of us as a community. One of which was something I had answered about "what do we do?/how do we defend ourselves?" with the answer being to educate the ignorant.

My point is that, even if the cause of our brainstorming was false, we can still take the good from it. This showed us that it takes something truly monumental and dramatic to make us realize that we need to work together and we can all take action in our own little ways. Let's learn from that and take action before these things happen. Why should someone have to die before we get our butts in gear? No- we can work together and stand up for ourselves right now by educating others in a polite and civil manner. The best cure for everything is prevention- so let's work towards that now that we see the consequences of what happens when we don't.

愛 Eth

• Root Admin

OMG This is so reminiscent of the "August" incident of a couple of years ago. Why would anyone within our own community want to hurt and humiliate us so? This is just too mind boggling. You aren't the only one who feels like an idiot. We all do.

MayEllen

Guest Justme

I am glad to hear this is a hoax....and at the same time am very peed off. I have been an activist for the trans community for years...and in hearing this story..bacame active again. Are you kidding me? If we can't trust each other...who can we trust? and I guess i already have the answer to that. Am I ticked....Absolutely. I am not looking to put blame onto anyone....I just hate being played with.

OMG This is so reminiscent of the "August" incident of a couple of years ago. Why would anyone within our own community want to hurt and humiliate us so? This is just too mind boggling. You aren't the only one who feels like an idiot. We all do.

MayEllen

Funny enough i remember August and what happed wonder if its the same I.P addy any way to trace if there the same? i was really upset of the news when i heard it i thought it was real even got myself upset over it but to find its not real is bitter sweet sweet because its not real no one was killed an bitter because someone would do a hox about such a thing

Nonetheless, I hope that you do not completely remove that topic. The way I see it is, this is a good thing

When a story and the headline is false as that one was it has to be pulled. Yes there was a outpouring of grief but a lie has to be layed to rest.

Laura

When a story and the headline is false as that one was it has to be pulled. Yes there was a outpouring of grief but a lie has to be layed to rest.

Laura

That's understandable.

Guest Justme

Yea Laura a lie does need to be laid to rest. But when an activist like myself...is made the fool ...that just makes our fight for equality a joke. And like I said....I am very ticked off...and that is putting it mildly. I don't balme you. You were putting forth what you thought was truth. and i acted on that. Guess i just need to question things more.

Guest S. Chrissie

I.....still cannot believe it......the sister I ever loved....is a fake?

The phone calls that were made from her to another dear sister....was fake? .....it's impossible.....

I...don't know what to believe anymore....

Guest Nadeest

We all do, Laura. I told some of my friends about this matter, as I, too, was griefstricken and extremely angry at those that did this to Roo. Now, I am angry at that person that pulled this hoax, if hoax it is. Hopefully, they will get the help that they clearly need from a mental health agency soon.

The phone calls that were made from her to another dear sister....was fake? .....it's impossible.....

Yea Laura a lie does need to be laid to rest. But when an activist like myself...is made the fool ...that just makes our fight for equality a joke. And like I said....I am very ticked off...and that is putting it mildly. I don't balme you. You were putting forth what you thought was truth. and i acted on that. Guess i just need to question things more.

Please don't throw in the towel. Direct your anger at the persons responsible. There have been many times i was ready to throw in the towel here and close up shop. While there is plenty of positive stuff going on negative incidents here happen all the time. The site does too much good to toss it all aside. Discrimination and hate goes on everyday in the Community. That's not a myth. Activists are still needed.

Laura

Guest stephdiane

I don't enjoy saying it,but I've seen a lot of this kind of thing, over the years. A closely related case happened

in the 1980s, with a new york psychologist that was posing as a female head shrinker, on I believe, "Compuserve"

so that he might better gain insights into women's lives and thoughts. He was eventually found out,but in part

his excuse was that after having developed the persona and made so many connections,there was no way that

he could gracefully bow out. Still looking for those links, and know they are out there.

in the 1990s,there were a large number of fake-trans-girls websites, with biographies told right out of "fiction mania".

My personal experience with younger (teen, early 20s) trans-girls, is that they are largely embarrased to be hanging out

with even the 30 something "old ladies", when they have plenty going on of their own.

I have a younger friend, "S", that I met when she sas 19, and looking for help in a more techical sense of docs, meds,

shrinks, etc, and I was able to help her in several areas and feel that was and still is a rewarding relationship. "S" was

even my maid of honor when I got married (and yes, I know thats a big "fake keyword). My point is we have a relationship

but it is very private, and I don't think she would ever dream of inviting me to a party or club she is attending anymore

than any daughter would want to wacky aunty to come along.

Another possibility, if perhaps less common would be that Rachel, WAS/IS legit, but needed some way to withdraw

from online life, so that she might better focus on other issues.

And she might also be a 74 year old wannabe, hanging out in he soiled undies. Wouldn't be the first time,

and we will probably never know.

Lastly, I think it is possible for someone that is totally "fake" to have completely legit information and advice to share.

So ,if , Rachel helped insipire, advise or encourage people, the nature of her life, has little to no impact on whatever

positive results she may have achieved.

Guest Justme

Hey Laura. I will still be the activist. I am ticked off because in hearing this story I did contact state governments and even federal government...asking for the rights we deserve. And now knowing this story is a hoax....all I did was make the fight for trans rights ... I just made it all a joke. All I did was hurt the movement. And I'm thinking it's just time for me to stay quite and stop caring so much. It's just made me the fool...and why would anyone derail things as they have? thinking it's just time for me to stop talking. Time to stop trying to have a voice.

Guest Ghanima Corrino

the real outrage is that it was so easily believable as horrible as it was, we all expect this sort of thing to happen someday, and shouldn't feel bad about our reactions.

It did make me so angry my fear faded, and I outed my location.

I'm not going to live with this fear anymore.

none of us were idiots, we just learned a valuble lesson, I feel proud, and privileged to have learned it with you.

"Strength and Happiness"

Guest Isobelle Fox

Well, I'm relieved, but confused. Which is actually kind of normal for me these days.

Am I to understand that Raychel created/ perpetuated this story herself?

Its sad. I was heartbroken the day I read the initial post. It played to every sympathy and every personal fear I have. I have had a pretty idealistic time with my own gradual transition, but I have been, am, and probably always will be a little weary of people. There are plenty of legitimate horror stories that make that appropriate, I think. But something like this- the youth of the victim, the combined tragedy of the car accident, and the brutality of the alleged attack were shocking and horrifying.

I don't feel ridiculous for reacting the way I did. These things happen, and they are horrible, so when I hear about something like this, it reminds me of the risks we are all taking and how necissary and sacred this journey is that we would continue to walk the path in the face of such dangers. And as I begin to try to find my own voice and my own means to be active in the community and to try to help the world in my own small way to evolve towards equality and acceptance, things like this stir me- and this too is appropriate. And besides, we had a good source. Laura is a kind hearted person with the best of intentions. When she speaks, we listen.

Its awful that someone would start a story like this, but I sincerely believe that our reaction speaks well of us, and that maybe we should move forward with gratitude that its not true, but inspired by the fact that it easily could have been. Live, but be cautious and be aware. Look for opportunities to educate and help people understand so that the real tragedies happen less often. Even if its a lie, the emotional legacy of this story can still have a positive impact if we take these lessons from it.

Guest Angela-H

HUH? why? why would someone do that? you need the facts before doing anaything. I know that most press people know that. and I think it we need the truth. not to be rude but thats how it is..

:o

Guest ~Brenda~

I too feel humiliated and made a fool of (to think that I have been crying for practically three days). I am very relieved to hear tha Roo is alive and I do hope that she is OK. At some point, someone who knows her well could try to understand what was happening with her during this time.

I, for one, forgive her. When I see her again, I will simply give her the warmest, loving hug that I can.

bernii

Guest Gentle Gamer

Where did you get the information about this person? Who did the original data come from?

As I understand it, Roo has posted a lot of tragic stories about her life over the past year. Is it possible that she has always been here just looking for sympathy? A sort of internet version of Munchausen?

I'm curious to know how this story came into being, what there is to be known about Roo, and who the likely culprit is for perpetuating this cruel story about our community?

Guest Ghanima Corrino

the rumor has gone world wide I replied to a sweetish blog a few min ago.

lets see what the wing nuts do with it.

they used a hoax in Oregon to discredit all reported violence against LGBT's on the r*u*s*h l*i*m*b*a*u*g*h show.

"revving up the canoe" to respond may be a busy weekend

A "relative" dropped into chat to give us the news and the details. I was more in shock when I got the news. If it was a new person I would've waited for verifacation. She was though here a year and did a lot of good. Who has that much patience?

Laura

There is a danger to think that the hoax is the rule rather than the exception. It's really the other way around. Discrimination and hate crimes against the community are real http://gender.org/remember/about/core.html . There are thousands of accounts throughout the community that are verifiable. Let;s not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Laura

Guest Donna Jean

I'm not angry right now.......

The day that this news broke about her death I was a mess all day...I had to keep locking myself in the restroom at work to cry.....

Right now I am relieved that she is still alive and this terrible thing didn't happen.....

I have tested my new emotions to their very depth and now I know what to expect form this sort of thing...I would of reacted totally different a year ago....lots of anger and hitting things...

Not anymore......

I guess that the next step is to find out exactly what happened and why....

We all want to understand what just happened to us....

We all mostly reacted with love and compassion when we thought it to be true.....

Lets not give up what we've gained......

Donna Jean