• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

"the Hero's And Heroines Of Laura's Playground"

It's hard to know what people's intentions are. I tried replying to an attack on this site but it is apparantly being blocked. I don't know if it is intentional or not. So I am reponding to it here. Her's the original link http://aebrain.blogspot.com/2009/04/heroes...737914002079101

Anonymous said...

The statistics gathered from Laura's Playground can hardly be accurate. Yes there is a high rate of suicide amongst trans-people, but that statistic of 31% has been sitting on their front page for the last 5 years, it doesn't change at all because their site does not have accurate research methods or analysis to back up any change or proof in numbers and real research is still in it's infancy around the world.

If they did change it wouldn't they be flashing the decrease in percentage all over their website?

The moderators are not vetted to work on staff as suicide prevention counsellors, the so called suicide prevention certification is a 15 minute online multi-choice test that a monkey could complete, you know the ones where you print out your own certificate at the end? Plenty have done it and it's not a recognised certification at all.

Anyone who is nice and communicates well for a period of time can be given staff status as moderator or teen mentor. There have been two cases of staff faking their own deaths to get their kicks and mess with vulnerable chatters there. The first was August who's intention was to counsel people and actually increase the suicide rate as a hate crime. The latest was a teen mentor called Raychel Roo, if you go to the LP website you can read about her hoax of being murdered in the most brutal way, yet another piece of bad publicity for trans people.

Hardly the safe environment they proclaim all over the website, they can't even control who they enlist as staff so it isn't safe from trolls at all.

You'll also note that LP has no actual intervention permission legally, if someone says they have used a harmful method and are in the process of dying while talking in chat, the staff can not contact emergency services giving them information, the person has to do it themselves therefore defeating the purpose of suicide prevention.

This is because the owner of the site does not want legal responsibility should something go wrong and an actual suicide is completed when their unskilled mods screw up.

The site is a scam, albeit a well intentioned one. Like most things online you never can tell what is real and what is not, but I can assure you the site is nothing what it wants you to believe it is. It should be treated for what it is, a trans-chatroom where people go to talk.

Guan Tanomo

Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:15:00 PM

Laura

First of all the 31% transgender suicide rate is an estimate that appeared on several sites over 5 years ago. While I've seen other estimates i have stuck with the original as it seems credible. Second an email survey was done here in 2004. We found that 50% of Transsexuals had at least one suicide attempt by their 20th birthday. This is the reason we added teens here. This number has been confirmed many times since from actual crisis's and in transcripts. It wavers between 55% to 50% and stays there consistently.

The course we use is used by other suicide prevention hotline operators. It takes an average of 15 to 20 hours to complete for all four modules. This is not a diploma mill. In fact the course is done in conjunction with Harvard Injury control Research Center and the National Center for Suicide prevention Center http://training.sprc.org/ . It is nationally recognized. If you don't complete the course you don't get the certificate. No one should start this without additional training. Does a Doctor start surgery without hands on training? Moderators here train for three months after the course in actual crisis's with a supervisor. A supervisor is on duty at all times and must have handled 3 actual attempt crisis's first. No crisis was affected by the two moderators August or Roo a TM according to our transcripts which are checked daily. Teen Mentors are never involved in crisis's here. Gee we made two hiring mistakes in 5 years. Are other companies error free or are all their employees perfect hires? Trolls and admirers here last less than 60 seconds. Every member here will attest to our safety record here.

As to the suicide report I wrote if you average out 78,800 over a 5 year period the record is not out of line with other suicide prevention hotline operators. In fact itt is lower than others doing the same task. An average of 6 actual attempts a day is not that high. Some days are higher and others lower. Figure it out 78,800 out of 10 million visitors over 5 years. That;s not unbelievable. I'm no math expert but even we can add. We have not needed to intervene here in any crisis. Users usually call emergency services. Is it more difficult? Sure but at least we are trying. WHat is wrong with that? Besides our mission here is to lower the transgender suicide rate not eliminate it and we have done that. Both members here and staff can tell you that thousands of lives have been saved here.

It is unfortunate that those who are not staff or even members here think they are qualified to critique a Suicide prevention site without participating in a crisis here. How many lives has Guan Tanomo saved? I'll bet he's saved none. Sounds like someone who's been banned to me. I'll put our record her up against anybodies. We do Good work here. There are plenty of testimonials on this site. The people here at least try and indeed ar hero's and heroines. I stand 100% behind the figures here. Instead of taking these actual numbers and trying to learn from them some choose instead to discount and deny it. Worse some of these are transgendered. Why is it when people actually accomplish something there are always those who tear it apart? I challenge anyone to do what we do here. No one can say we don't care or don't try. Stuff like this makes me want to give it all up. It is hurtfull especially when you are doing the best that you can. :banghead:

Laura Amato

Laura's Playground

Guest karen_h

Laura I agree, having been here since almost the begining, I have seen and handled

many crisis myself, while the bulk of what we get are type 3's, who can say that we

haven't kept them from escalating to type 2's or 1's. Thats prevention.

My reply to guan was posted and I invited him to see if he could do better. Bet he can't,

after 5 years, our experience and dedication, I doubt that any site can match what we do.

Karen_H

Guest Elizabeth K

Who is Guan Tanomo? Obviously a Cuban land based US fortifiction.

Nasty attack - terribly reasoned. No real data was used to back up claims, and the word 'scam' is not reasonable at all. A scam is an intent to defraud.

I believe this is a vendetta of some sort - that is all I can figure - someone who was trying to troll or worse, who was caught and removed.

Lizzy

Guest Donna Jean

That is ridiculous!

How can he/it argue a point without facts? This really heats me up!

I KNOW...I Know....we shouldn't let it affect us this way...it's probably what he wants anyway..to get our hackles up!

From top to bottom.. bottom to top, this site is about HELP/CARING/SUPPORT!

Everything we say and do here is single minded...care of the Transgendered community!

From such things as advising against taking un-supervised hormones/illegal hormones, just an encouraging hugg for someone feeling down, sharing day to day advice on just living with our condition, to as much as helping someone through suicidal feelings and the urge to cut and hurt oneself. Many people are alive today because of this site! And ONLY because of this site!

Just a place where people go to talk???? How DARE he!

OK, sharp boy! Get YOUR credentials out! Show us what YOU have done lately to help the human condition! Who have you helped lately???? What have YOU done????

Donna Jean

Over and Out!

• Root Admin

It would be interesting to know the IP of this person to see if we could match it up with anyone we've banned or exposed as a predator, troll, pedophile, etc. I'm willing to bet it's someone we've exposed and is trying for revenge.

MaryEllen

Guest ~Brenda~
It would be interesting to know the IP of this person to see if we could match it up with anyone we've banned or exposed as a predator, troll, pedophile, etc. I'm willing to bet it's someone we've exposed and is trying for revenge.

MaryEllen

Indeed, why would anyone spend so much energy defaming the good name of Laura and Laura's playground if they did not have a vendetta against Laura's. I would suspect that this person was exposed as threat to Laura's and was asked to leave (probably forcibly). This person is probably not even trans. This person could be August/Roo herself <_<

I would suggest that this person simply be ignored (for now). Some battles are not worth fighting. It would be as if someone put on their blog that the Red Cross does not help people and even a monkey could do what the people do in the Red Cross. What do you think the Red Cross would do?.... Ignore them.

Brenda

My original text was deleted by me and replaced just now with :

I was really tired when I wrote the original text and really did not say what I had intended to say. I have chosen to remove that text from my post.

My appologies to Laura .. I never meant to say that she was wrong for her reply or make response to the person that posted in Zoe's site. I meant to say that if everyone from here went over to there to post .. that it would then feed into them .. but I did not mean to say that Laura or those folks in charge of specific areas of the site which were attacked in that persons post .. should not reply to them.

Monica_Jennifer

When someone calls the good work we do a scam they need to be called on it. Especially when they seek to ruin someones reputation. Sometimes you have to fight for what you believe in. Thanks for the support.

Laura

My therapist suggested to me that I find a trans group to join because virtually all the people in my life were non-trans who could only understand just so much. They could not fully grasp the "I must do this or I don't want to live", urgency that was overwhelming me. I found Laura's site and am forever grateful. This 'Gitmo' person seems to have or or pretends to have inside information that only someone who used to work for this site would know. A bitter rant from a phony? I'm behind you 100%, Laura.

Guest ~Brenda~

OK my mistake!!! I orginally thought that this Guan Tanamo character was just a twerp and not worth addressing or responding to. After reading additoinal posts by Laura, I could see that Guan's comments really upset her. Someone getting Laura upset, upsets me no end!!! So I went to the blog page and gave Guan Tanamo a piece of my mind. It is posted on the blog page.

This is what I wrote...

To Guan,

I have found Laura Amato and the rest of the wonderful people at Laura's playground to be of the highest caliber. The integrity level of Laura's is unparalleled. Have you actually been to the forums and/or chat at Laura's? The chat room moderators do an outstanding job of keeping the trolls and other harm doers out of the chat rooms. The forum moderators too do an excellent job of keeping the forums safe. My personal experience at Laura's has been so rewarding and uplifting. The love and support at Laura's is just incredible. Yes, were all shocked that Roo was not who she said she was, but that is the extreme rare exception!! 99.999% of all the people at Laura's are who they say they are and are completely dedicated to Laura and Laura's Playground!! Without Laura, our lives would be not be the same. Laura's site is all about love, support, caring and suicide prevention. We all volunteer our time to help one another. To attempt to defame Laura and Laura's site is simply ridiculous and completely misinformed. You have no idea of what you are talking about, and I submit you were probably someone that we threw out because you were not loving, you were not caring, you were not helpful. Am I wrong about you?

Brenda

Proud member of Laura's playground

Laura... I love you so

Brenda

laura, you are a heroine to me, and to so many others. i would not be who i am without your site. thanks so much for all you have done, i dont know any other person who has done so much good for the world. i am so sorry people like this exist, but i want you to know that what you do doesnt go unappreciated. i'd defend your integrity until the end, and believe me, i dont give out that kind of respect easily, but you have earned it. never before have i been so inspired. i may only be 17 now, but one day i will be a psychologist who specializes in helping the trans community. and i thank this site for inspiring me to do so. thank you for all you have done for myself and Deeedoo, and everyone else too. no half-attempted article of bitter resentment will change things in my mind. and really, this site is still like the first thing that comes up in a trans-related google search, so i dont think this will get far, i certainly hope it doesnt. i hope this will all blow over soon. and i hope you get to feeling better too. laura, this is for you...

HUGG!!!!!!

When someone calls the good work we do a scam they need to be called on it. Especially when they seek to ruin someones reputation. Sometimes you have to fight for what you believe in. Thanks for the support.

Laura

Laura :

In re-reading what I wrote here in the last 24 hours I realized I did not say it how I meant to say it in either post. I am editing to rewrite my intended text and deleting the prior text.

I did not mean that it was wrong for you Laura or either of the heads of areas of thisd site that were specifically attacked to post a post over there at that site in reply. What I meant was after the initial reply from each that a continuance of commenting over there afterwards woud be feeding into them.

For example Laura I agree you have every right as owner of this site to comment there in refute to a attack on you or the site and yes even Karen's reply was appropriate as chat was attacked in the persons text. Also I agree that us all posting here on this site is good ... but I had meant to say that if all the folks here went over there to post it would just feed into that person.

I guess I was really over tired when I wrote my two original posts. I kind of was surprised I screwed up what I was trying to say here so badly. (Note to self .. never post when over tired.)

Monica_Jennifer

Laura,

I am so sorry that this sort of thing happens, it is a testiment to just how small and petty people can be.

My first thought was this is Roo again and I think that it still is possible.

I just want you to know that my therapist, who is recognized on Dr. Bowers' website so she is not new to this, sent me to this site for support.

She knew that I had none at home and I was not ready because of my work to come out at that time so she suggested that I try an on line support group - this was the only one she mentioned!

You are respected by the professional community and by all of us who know your work and those of us who have had the opportunity to have personal exchanges with you.

To talk to you is always a great moment for me because I do respect you and your work so much, you have made my life worth living and how can I ever repay that?

From everyone who has been here, is here or will join in the future thank you so much Laura, you are an insperation, a comfort and a mentor for us all.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest rachael1

Everyone has already summed up what i thought when I read Laura's post.

But I will add my voice that I also am a proud member of LAURAS PLAYGROUND.

Rachael

Guest Leah1026
It's hard to know what people's intentions are. I tried replying to an attack on this site but it is apparantly being blocked. I don't know if it is intentional or not. So I am reponding to it here. Her's the original link http://aebrain.blogspot.com/2009/04/heroes...737914002079101

Zoë is a member here. Why not send her a pm?

http://www.lauras-playground.com/forums/in...p?showuser=5656

I know Zoë. I'm sure there is a logical explanation why you got blocked. Zoë is an incredibly busy person, but I can't see her purposely blocking you.

Zoe is a long time member of Susan's place and well respected i might add. I see she joined June 20 and i only see 2 posts June 22 - 23 both having to do with the Rachel/Roo topic, no introduction no other posts, so her reason for joining was obvious, i had never seen her in chat, at least at night. The topic was taken from this site with the link.

Anonymous, Guan Tanomo or whoever they are as every one else has said could be an ex member/ troll/admirer/pedophile/etc who got banned from this site.

Laura i feel for ya hon, and the work we do in the forums and in chat has saved many many lives, there are always going to be people for what ever agenda or reason are going to bash and try to defame web sites.

Paula

Guest Sergei

Laura you do great work here. They'll always be people that try to put you down in life. People who can't see the good in what you are doing. This place has helped so many people, keep going with you good work and try not to let negative comments like these bring you down. Like you said a couple of incidences in all these years isn't much!

The fact is some people prefer to live in the dark ages. They want to stick with original information gathered on Transgender people with few subjects Studied (less than a hundred). Our numbers are grossly underestimated. So were our suicides. Why were the studies so small years ago? It was difficult to get very many transgender people in one place. The Internet changed all of that. Now we gather in large numbers on large sites like this. This creates an opportunity to do real studies like none done before. I took advantage of that and started an online suicide Prevention program which at the time NO ONE had ever attempted before. If someone else never tried how would they know the wealth of information that could be gathered? When we started suicide rates were all estimates. Now that we have actual suicide attempt numbers some don't want to hear it. How many familes claimed their sons's or daughters as transgendered after a suicide attempt? NONE. Researchers used this as an opportunity to say "See there is no transgender suicide problem." Never mind that many in our crisis rooms already tried the national suicide hotline and were rejected once they mentioned they were transgender. This is also true of gays. Denial doesn't make it less true. This is a fact. If we weren't here where would they go? What did they do before we were here? They became INVISBLE statistics that weren't even counted or counted as straight. The real truth was covered up. Some like "Guan Tanomo" would rather have it that way and continue to deny our suicide problem. Others would have you believe that our numbers are smaller than they are. Don't be fooled.

This site isn't about me it's about us. I certainly don't pay the bills here for fortune, fame or glory. I decided to stop talking about our suicide problem and do something about it instead of blowing smoke out my butt as some do. Our mission is to reduce transgender suicides. No one can eliminate it though we can try. I am under no elusions. Our mission gets accomplished here every single day. Apparantly some would rather we didn't count them. But count them we did. Now some don't like the numbers. We report it because the problem is epidemic and grave. Did anyone catch the good news that those 78,800 people aren't dead? I put the numbers out there because my staff of 100 is too small. I put it out there so others will try to do what we do. It's a cry for help not a way to pat myself on the back. I never expected these numbers. Now that I have them i'm not going to cover it up like a certain few who want to discredit us. NO! I'm going to shout it from the rooftops and say LOOK what's happening in our community. People can die if we don't do something about it. Doctors need to know this. Therapists need to know this. Families of teens need to know this to avoid homophobia and denial. How many fathers have said to their transgender MTF teens "I'll MAKE a man out of you. How many teens have asked for a gender therapist been denied? These numbers are out there for ONE REASON. THEY ARE THERE TO SAVE LIVES. So sorry 'Guan Tanomo" I'm not going to shut-up or back down as this information is vital. Our numbers are not out of line with other 24/7 suicide hotline operations. In fact some are higher.

This site isn't closing "Guan Tanomo" or to anyone else who feels as he does. We're going to continue to save lives. In addition 10 million VISITORS (not all are members) over a 5 year period seem to agree. This number is in a window at the bottom of every page in yellow. You can watch it change by the minute. This is not inconsistent with other sites of a similar ALexa ranking which lists a billion sites by the way. Note our rank which is on the front main page in the left hand column http://www.lauras-playground.com/ . I get 1500 emails a day 95% of which are not from members, 99% of which are all transgender. I think it;s safe to say I get enough daily input to keep me informed enough to know what I am talking about.

Laura climbs down from soapbox and gives "Guan Tanomo" the finger.

http://www.lauras-playground.com/transgend...cide_report.htm

Laura