• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Masculine Mannerisms?

Guest CharlieRose

Guest CharlieRose

Does anyone have any tips on how to act masculine? I've tried observing on my own, and I've researching, but come up with little. Maybe if we all added little things we noticed, it would add up to, well, a lot of things.

#1-Guys don't cross their legs. They sometimes put their ankle on their opposite knee, but that's as close as they get.

#2-They do often hold their legs very far apart when they sit down.

#3-Guys swing their arms, hold them limp. Girls have this way of clenching all their extremities together, actually, guys don't.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flint

• Zufrieden

• KieranD

Guest matthew41

Hi Charlie,

Here are a few things that worked for me:

When you walk, imagine a line running in front of you and space your foot steps about 6 inches out from this line. Adjust the distance until there is no swing of your hips.

Posture; Relax your shoulders and let them roll forward. Push your hips forward so you stand with your hips straight below your shoulders. Hold your head up when you walk.

Looking people in the eye for a short time when you pass them is ok. When passing a girl, a slight smile is polite. Don't be surprised if she glances away from you.

When passing a guy, a slight head nod forward is polite, don't smile unless he is or you know him,when he nods back then brake eye contact looking again in the direction you are going.

You don't have to hold your legs apart when you sit, place your feet a little wider then shoulder width apart and forward so your legs are not straight up and down from your knee to ankle, then relax your legs.

In a movie theater, use the arm rests.

thats it for now,

Matt

Hi Charlie,

Good topic! Here's a couple of things I've noticed and have been doing:

1. the guy-to-guy head-nod - nod up with the chin, you can either say nothing or "what's up" if you know him

2. take up as much space as you like. it's very comfy to sprawl. be a gentleman and make room for a girl, but wait for another guy to make eye-contact with you to move for him.

3. try to make answers to questions and explanations as straight-to-the-point as possible

4. make liberal use of the salutations "man", 'dude', 'brother', 'bro', 'buddy', and 'this guy' - lots of variety as compared to just "girl" or "girlfriend"

5. walk with your legs, not your hips

6. appear confident - head up, aware of things around you

7. the opposite of everything you might have been told/forced to do to be "lady-like" *shudder*

I'd be interested in hearing other guys' observations.

MK

Hi all:

Most important, when passing another male on the street just pretend that he's a strange dog on your territory.

Snarling and baring of the teeth is usually frowned on, but work on your scowl until you've got it down.

Of course you have to say something so that he'll know you're not intimidated.

Novices who don't know any better might say "Howdy, ho. How are you this fine morning?". That's right out.

The aim is to cut out as many syllables as possible. You might mumble "Morning", and if he responds "Mrn", you've just lost that encounter.

Waving or making any sign shows that you're a homosexual. You'd rather die than give anyone that impression even if you are.

You may want to nod your head a bit in passing, but you'll have to practice in front of a mirror for hours to achieve the exact minimal effect.

Urinating on fire hydrants is not really accepted, but does make a powerful statement.

Your whole body language is important, but when people start crossing the street to avoid you, you know you've arrived.

It's just great to be a guy.

Z.

Sorry, I hope my negativity isn't getting everyone down, but that's really the way it is.

I naturally sit with legs apart. apparently this isn't very 'lady' like asd people always used to say.......There was an obvious reason it was not lady like...I'm not a women lol.....;)

I dunno if i'm the only one who found this, and again i do this naturally anyways...But is it just me that it seems like men use one worded answers if there is no neeed to talk anymore about it. where as women can talk forever about things.....

This is a funny topic for me, because I used to try and observe men, their posture, the way they walked, the way they talked. Even when I was trying to present as female I would over do these mannerisms that I had observed. I don't know why, to prove something to myself? To prove something to other people? I couldn't say. But I wasn't being me, and that bothered me.

The whole point of living full time as a man now, is that I am comfortable with myself. Therefore I make no effort to behave in a way I feel is expected of me as a man. I sit how I feel comfortable, sometimes with my legs crossed, sometimes apart. I walk how I naturally walk. Everthing I do now is completely natural, and not forced.

#1-Guys don't cross their legs. They sometimes put their ankle on their opposite knee, but that's as close as they get.

I disagree with this. Alot of men sit with legs crossed. Gentlemen sit like this. Ok, it's been long enough, it was inevitable that this day would arrive. The man who's name I stole, who's hair style I copied, and who's fasion sense is now major influencing me (Yes I bought the characteristic rachmaninoff long dark overcoat!!!lol)

Bertensson_Rachmaninoff2.gif

Rachmaninoff is the ultimate man.

When I meet bio men, and they over do the masculine "I'm a man thing," I always think they must have some insecurity issues, and they look like idiots. They stand out far more than a man who is slightly effeminate. Be comfortable, be yourself. If you are constantly making conscious adjustments to the way you sit or walk, or anything else then you're not being yourself. In my opinion this stands out far more, and is way more likely to out.

Guest mr_marc

This made me giggle because ive always done these things lol.

Ive never been remotely lady like, though im not a lady so there yeh go.

I just find it comes natuarally to me :mellow:

Guest GoldenKirbichu

Masculine mannerisms are really hard to pin down. I know I always acted more masculine than most people but I still have a few small feminine quirks, like moving my hands when I talk. It takes a conscious effort to suppress it.

I never made much eye-contact so that was easy for me to get around. I dunno if I look tough at all. Probably not because I'm so short. :/

I never really felt i had to force myself to be more masculine. It seems i'm just naturally that way. although i'm sure there are some feminine sides to me...I'm not to sure...It's hard to say i dont have a female walk just cause of the fact i can't walk. but i dunno...It comes naturally to me. i dont relaly think if i do this i'll look more masculine i just autimaticly seem to have it in me to sit the way i do or whateever. I've never looked like a girl, never really acted liek a girl never really had any feminne actions apart from maybe being slightly more sensetive to certain things more than bio men are.

Quite honestly, any book on nonverbal communication can probably help if you need a male reference. I too am not feminine by any stretch of the imagination, but that is the luck of the draw maybe. One suggestion though; don't put too much thought into it or whatever you do to change yourself will seem awkward. Men don't put thought into these kind of things and they really don't pay attention to anyone's mannerisms unless the person is obviously female. Most men pretty much ignore me, or buddy up with me because I have a male sense of humor. RELAX ;)

hmm trying to find all the things a guy does is hard to point out.

to me i always thought speaking a certain way. like most guys use dude, sweet, awesome, um some other words that i cant think of right now.

walking like ur pimp lol jk.

most guys slouch a lot.

most men put their right foot or leg over their left knee. or is it the other way around? lol depends i guess.

i only notice more in the young boys or men because yeah im a youngin still and i just observe how much boys act. and most boys just act immature. most boys try to be funny or are humorous. most boys tend to act stupid. most boys are unorganized and dirty and have a little bit of bad manners. most boys are perverted lol. hmm i think their is more but i cant think of that much. i myself act like this so yeah haha. hard to catch myself doing these things. so yeah.

Guest KyleMicheal

For me, I never really had to try.

My table manners are unacceptable for "a girl". :P

I'm slouchy, non-meticulous in movement, and was a bit "rough".

I can't say that I can sit right though. I can't cross my legs, but I always have to bend them like they're a friggin' pretzel or something. D:

I put my elbows on the table and stuff, too. This usually drives my mom insane. :P

Oh, and I do the "watered-down caveman walk". Imagine a caveman and walk like that, except do it very slightly. Practice making it natural.

Hand gestures/waving = no-no. >.<'

well dont go out in a skirt guys dont tend to do that :)

I bet I would still pass as male even if I went out in a skirt. That might draw unwant attention though. lol When my transition is complete I might go and work in a gay club as a drag performer just to be ironic. I'm very comfortable with my feminine qualities. :P I know I'm a real man.

I bet I would still pass as male even if I went out in a skirt. That might draw unwant attention though. lol When my transition is complete I might go and work in a gay club as a drag performer just to be ironic. I'm very comfortable with my feminine qualities. :P I know I'm a real man.

Absolutely! Good point! Sometimes it seems like studying the "stereotypical" male behaviors, etc., is like any stereotype; it simply collects those characteristics that we tend to notice the most. Wouldn't you rather be an individual than a collection of superficialities that don't really define you as a person?

Guest CharlieRose

Thanks guys, those help a lot. I know I shouldn't be too worried about it, but I have just been noticing that I act really, really, really feminine. Like, everytime my body moves it moves in an overtly feminine manner. I was wondering if I was too feminine to pull a sex change off. I'll try to do these sort of things more often, and I'll try not to think too much about it.

Thanks guys, those help a lot. I know I shouldn't be too worried about it, but I have just been noticing that I act really, really, really feminine. Like, everytime my body moves it moves in an overtly feminine manner. I was wondering if I was too feminine to pull a sex change off. I'll try to do these sort of things more often, and I'll try not to think too much about it.

Doesn't change who you are inside, regardless of mannerisms!

Hi all:

I'm surprised that nobody jumped on or attacked my little satirical piece about men acting like dogs.

Yes, it is all completely true, but the point was to dissuade some of you possibly from adding to the number of insecure, over-compensating men on this planet.

Lighten up about all this adhering to stereotypes. Be yourself, whatever that may be.

And yes, some of my sisters on the other side of the fence could use that message, too.

Z.

Guest GoldenKirbichu

Well, Z, the reason why nobody attacked it is probably because of how true it is. A lot of that swaggering is just overcompensation.

I suppose I unconsciously do it myself sometimes. I try not to. It's a bad habit.

I'm surprised that nobody jumped on or attacked my little satirical piece about men acting like dogs.

What is it with you and dogs Z???? Didn't we have the dog discusion some time before in the packing discussion????? Something about underpants and dogs. lol According to you us guys can learn everything from dogs. :lol:

Guest Sophie Jean

I don't know about the gentlemen in here, but for those of us ladies that were supposed to act like guys, the key word that hurt a lot of us is "act." I have been observing how my real "gender" walks, talks, and acts for ages. In fact, in guy mode I had to consciously train myself to stop my more natural mannerisms. When I decided to drop all pretense, then my real self comes through. Isn't that what we all want? To simply be ourselves? These are what I was trained to do: Look people in the eye when you talk to them; Don't drag your feet; Elbows out; No slouching; Stand tall; Make sure the fish that got away is a big one; Be sophisticated, but charming; Give way to the ladies. Open doors; Don't wiggle your butt when you walk; Don't cross your legs like a girl; If you cross, cross at the ankle. The list goes on and on...

Observe the people you most identify with, or even better want to be like. I am sure you have been imagining yourself in their position for a long time now. Once you visualize enough, your subconscious will make it happen. When you find yourself correcting natural movements for trained movements, you can simply refuse to do the trained movements.

Walk in confidence with your head held high, but most of all, be yourself,

- Sophie Jean

P.S.

"Just like the stars and moon

You have every right to be here."

- Max Ehrmann, "The Desiderata"

• 1 year later...
Guest Cazz333
I naturally sit with legs apart. apparently this isn't very 'lady' like asd people always used to say.......There was an obvious reason it was not lady like...I'm not a women lol.....;)

I dunno if i'm the only one who found this, and again i do this naturally anyways...But is it just me that it seems like men use one worded answers if there is no neeed to talk anymore about it. where as women can talk forever about things.....

Doesn't change who you are inside, regardless of mannerisms!

Thanks for the info. I've just realised something. I've been using male mannerism without thinking. I certainly do the male nod with my head nodding quicking downards rather than chin up and not daintily either. I sometimes sit cross-legged but only on chairs where one leg propped to the side keeps my balance.

I tend to take up more space than most women and prefer airy chairs. I tend to clump my feet rather than place them as such.

My female mannerism are gestering as I talk, using an expansive vocabularly where simpler words can be used and sometimes chattering on. however it does tend to be when I'm less secure with myself or when I've not contacted anyone in a while. Then again I'm a detail noticing person and can also see the big picture so that shows up in my mannerisms and speech.