• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Female Voice

Guest Elizabeth K

• Forum Moderator

You don't want to do this while driving but cover one of your ears with a finger, like a singer would.  You will hear your voice differently and this is closer to real I believe.  As with anything we do to change be careful and you can hurt your vocal chords if you stress them too much.  Achieving a falsetto voice is not desirable IMO but remember that many women have deeper voices.  Its also about cadence and what you say.  Men and women do tend to say things differently.  

You can sing or even repeat in a talking voice what you hear on the radio, or audio tape (i.e. book).  

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jackie C.

• Tessa

• Amanda Thomas

• ShawnaLeigh

• Forum Moderator

Putting my fingers over an ear never occurred to me. I usually practice in front of the computer and use audio playback along with a pitch register. I speak on a G sharp now and it sounds pretty good. My wife's natural voice is now a little darker than mine.

It took a lot of practice to get here though.

Hugs!

I have always been a car vocalist.  From way back singing in the family car with my brothers and sister. I even can hit the high notes.  But it has to be loud.  I tend to blend my voice to mimic the artist but find it difficult to do so at lower music levels.  I don’t have a very low voice and, to me, listening to myself on tape it’s a little on the nasally side.  With the right pitch I think it might be cute.  
I look forward to practicing but I need to find the right program to use while driving. I am looking into the suggestions here.  

• Forum Moderator

Hrm. I tried three.

Kathe S. Perez from 30-Day Crash Course

Melanie Ann Phillips How to Develop a Female Voice

and Nina who has a last name, but I'm completely not remembering it Female Voice Club

First off, they all had good points and slightly different approaches. Cost wise How to Develop a Female Voice is the least expensive and provides about an hour of material. I personally didn't find her methods that useful, but she comes from an acting background and teaches like she would to other actors. If I was a more experienced actress, I might have gotten more out of it.

30-Day Crash Course had some advice that I'm still using. It's the next most expensive. Like I said, advice that I'm still using, but the instruction style didn't get me as far as I'd like. If I had a decent voice coach easily available I think it would have made great supplemental material.

Female Voice Club made the most difference for me. Nina works on just one element at a time and goes in depth about what she's doing and why. You can also send her short voice clips for her to critique and she'll give you advice on what you should be working on. Unfortunately, it's the most expensive (and longest), but she's got options for a subscription to spread things out. You can, however, do the warm-up exercises in the car and she's got things you can do when you're alone at work at your desk.

I practice for about an hour a day and I'll work in extra tuning sessions when I'm in the car or doing something mindless.

I hope some of that helps!

Hugs!

• 6 months later...

I am looking for comments on if you think this voice passes as a woman’s voice. Let me know what I can do to make it better. I work customer service and many are accepting it but some don’t. Please any suggestions? 

• Forum Moderator

OK, @Tessa in my opinion it's not bad, but it needs work. It reads more androgynous to me instead of feminine. My personal motto is that without the benefit of genetics, we need to girl a little harder than cis women.

You could speak more through your mask and your voice lacks some feminine markers. Specifically, you're kind of monotone until you hit the end of your sentence and jump up. I'd also add a little bit of "breathy" to your manner of speaking. Think Marilyn Monroe. Rising at the end of your sentences is good, though it makes you sound like a valley girl (a friend of mine does the same thing). That's tricky to learn. Staying level at the end of a sentence was a bugger. You don't drop though, so that's good. With some work though, you could raise it (the pitch) a bit, change your resonance, improve your projection and sound really nice.

Now most of that I'd probably miss if I wasn't listening for it specifically, but I think that with some training you could get some really nice results.

Hugs!

Thank you. I have raised the pitch a little and it’s funny you would mention Marilyn! I am a huge fan of her! I also read somewhere on line that woman saying vowels differently. Like e and s’s. Can you tell me more about this? Today as I raised my voice a little and a accented my s’s most people over the phone did not question I was female. It really surprised me when one guy kept saying Mam! It felt so good! I will work on my voice. When I’m with my kids though they call me dad and I have to put on my dad voice or they get confused. Their mom is totally against me we’re divorced and the kids revealed to her once I wanted to be a girl. “Wanted” I am. So I have to be careful around them but I have a trans daughter but mom does not accept her and her life is hell. I can’t get him to me because I don’t make enough money for a lawyer. Anyway I will continue to work on what you said. 

Tessa?‍?

• Forum Moderator

You're talking enunciation. Women enunciate their syllables more precisely than men do. It's an ongoing battle honestly, but a proper lady speaks clearly without mumbling or mushing her words together. She speaks clearly and pronounces every part of the word. I think you'll do better once you move your voice a bit more up and forward. It'll help you project more and that should help with your clarity.

I had a fun conversation with a debt relief agent before I officially changed my name. He had the hardest time coming to grips with the idea that someone who sounded like me was named, "Robert." All that money on speech therapy was well spent. Fun too.

Also, your ex is a total b-witch. Thankfully, your kids are almost grown and to the point where they can legally be responsible for themselves.

Hugs!

That’s why I told my work I wanted to use Tessa. I was already getting customers thinking I was female so I just decided to change. Since then I have had more people believe I am. I think it’s because I naturally act more like a female on the phone. I’m very nice and polite and I just come off feminine. I had a call who the guy actually started flirting with me and said I had sexy voice so I must have passed. He wanted my number but I told him I’m not aloud to give it. It wasn’t a joke. He was hard flirting! I know how to flirt to! A little cute laugh. This is all natural to me. I naturally have a cute voice and make people feel that they are important. When I used my male name people were questioning me to. They would say, “What is your name again?” They always call me by Sweetheart  or Honey. My voice gives off a vibe also that people want to talk to me. Especially guys. I felt weird guys flirting with me when I opened the call with my male name. I’m not gay so this made me uncomfortable. Now that I use Tessa it’s so much easier to accept when they do flirt with me. It’s not just that I must draw people to me which is so weird. Guys will hold doors for me and I once had a guy that was even married but he would open a bag of chips for me. I let him. He told me he felt he should do things from me. If I totally transitioned I think I would have a lot of admires. People are drawn to authentic people. I make people feel like their important and they treat me like a Queen. I love it! 

Love 

Tessa?‍?

• 6 months later...
  • Forum Moderator

@TSJaney sadly I don't speak German - but in English - I am SO PROUD of your achievement so far - I have been working on my voice for 4 months with the aid of a few good YouTube Voice Coaches and using Voice Pitch analyzer and especial Voice Tools and my singing voice has been greatly improved in higher range and when I ready the script on Voice Tools - I achieve 95+ female and 3- on Male range now and am slowly integrating into every day use. IT IS A LOT OF WORK and I know you are putting in the work just based on your posting here. CONGRATULATIONS.

• 3 months later...
  • Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, Ellie Jean said:

I'm going to a speech therapist that specializes in treating transgender patients in the near future, but I think I'll still opt for Voice Feminization Surgery later on just so that I don't have to think about it constantly, or worry about slipping up when I cough or sneeze or clear my voice or snore or talk in my sleep or WHATEVER lmao.

You're going to need speech therapy anyway. Surgery can help you achieve the proper pitch, but everything else (and there's a LOT of else) is all on you. All the surgical options are followed up with time working with a speech therapist. It's unavoidable.

You also need to consider your Adam's apple. Reduction surgery is not compatible with vocalization surgery (and vice-versa) so you may have to pick which option you want.

I talk in my sleep too. I am perfectly capable of carrying on a conversation without waking up. Usually the only clue is when I insert something that only makes sense in context of the dream I'm having. Such as (real example), "The moles are attacking!" I have no idea what I was dreaming about or how that fits into context. I only learned about it when someone brought it up the following day.

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator
3 hours ago, Ellie Jean said:

Annnd, I thought I read about a voice feminization surgery that actually involved reducing the adam's apple in the process?

Well that's new, usually it's one or the other. That's a pretty quick recovery for surgery, but slow for laser so it must be some kind of blended procedure. By all means go for it!

Hugs!

I have come across an article (which of course I cannot find now lol) that explained how both operations can be done BUT order matters. It was something about moving (or spreading, or something) vocal cords in order to get to the area to be reduced. And so that has to be done first, or shortened cords might get in a way and tear or get damaged.

Of course, it could have been that specific operation or surgeon, and might not apply to other methods, but there are definitely more options than just a binary choice ?