• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Alternatives To Skirts...

Guest Tammy Maher

Guest Tammy Maher

Has anyone here ever bought a kilt as an alternative to buying a skirt?

I'm curious because I'm thinking about getting some. Although they don't appear much in the US, they are generally accepted as unisex clothing.

(^ _^)/

Janelle

Has anyone here ever bought a kilt as an alternative to buying a skirt?

I'm curious because I'm thinking about getting some. Although they don't appear much in the US, they are generally accepted as unisex clothing.

(^ _^)/

Janelle

Go for it if it makes you feel good and can wear a skirt(opps kilt)and no one be the wiser,why not.

Smile.

Angie

Guest N. Jane

Quite the contrary! Anyone with any cultural knowledge knows a kilt is a man's garment - a women's equivalent would be a kilted skirt - they ARE different. Of course many people have little cultural cultivation in which case they will see a man in a skirt.

Guest Elizabeth K

Yes - at the Renaissance Festival they have a booth. DARN expensive though!

I decided I would just go my way gender appropriate - not rying to find a substitute.

Lizzy

Guest ~Brenda~

Dearest Janelle,

I think that you will find that kilts are very heavy and not feminine at all (I found them that way). For me, a woman's skirt is all that will do.

But that is just me. You may find that a kilt works just fine for you.

HUGS

Brenda

Guest Joanna Phipps

In the Highlands you would be thought of a a 'wee bit' odd wearing a man's garment. The Kilt for centuries has been for men only, nothing unisex about it. BraveHeart or Robert The Bruce would problably have severly punished any woman foolish enough to try, not to mention that you may well insult every Scott you see.

Just some thoughts

Guest Joanna Phipps

Hmmm Sorry about what I said, I opened my mouth without looking at the link first. I, it seems like most here, has assumed the Highlamd garment of the same name, Im even less sure about the ones on the link for me the price would be the killer with the cheapest at 150. If you can afford one or more and make them work for you then go for it.

Guest My_Genesis

My first reaction when I read the title of this was "what's wrong with jeans?" obviously, don't judge a book by it's cover..or title for that matter.

I like bagpipes :D As for the kilt thing, i dunno, people might just think you're wearing a plaid skirt. But I'm curious, you are trying to pass as female right? Why, instead of female clothes, are you going for "unisex" stuff?

My first reaction when I read the title of this was "what's wrong with jeans?" obviously, don't judge a book by it's cover..or title for that matter.

I like bagpipes :D As for the kilt thing, i dunno, people might just think you're wearing a plaid skirt. But I'm curious, you are trying to pass as female right? Why, instead of female clothes, are you going for "unisex" stuff?

I think I'd be one to dress somewhat unisex most often. Maybe a coupla times a week I'd get pretty girly with the clothing dealio, but not as often as most would, I'd imagine?

You never know, I say that now, but a lot can change in one's mindset on several matters during and after transition, I'd imagine?

Sure, if you don't mind people calling you "Scotty" or asking you what country you were born in.

They're likely to throw "Laddy" atcha as well. lol

Guest julia_d

AND .. vital this.. Find your tartan.. otherwise you could be getting the kind of troubles you never guessed about. My family has a tartan.. not one of those nice red ones either.. a black and green Irish one... Looks kinda grubby.. doesn't suit me at all.

Over here it was a tarty fashion thing a few years back, and the pleated skirts have the schoolgirl fetish thing going on.. so I would be careful. I haven't worn mine in years.

Guest Joanna Phipps
AND .. vital this.. Find your tartan.. otherwise you could be getting the kind of troubles you never guessed about. My family has a tartan.. not one of those nice red ones either.. a black and green Irish one... Looks kinda grubby.. doesn't suit me at all.

Over here it was a tarty fashion thing a few years back, and the pleated skirts have the schoolgirl fetish thing going on.. so I would be careful. I haven't worn mine in years.

Hey folks check the link she posted.. I fell into that trap too.. these ARENOT the highland dress. Many cultures had kilt type apparel thse are more in the Egyptian vein.

Guest AllisonD

I know that the range of expression that works for us is very large, and I certainly do not understand everyone's viewpoint. It is not important that I do, only that I accept that each viewpoint is valid, which I do. But I have to wonder, if a person could wear one of these, and would rather wear a really nice ladies skirt that costs less, why not wear the ladies skirt? If a person chose to wear a kilt like these (made in Washington!), are nylons appropriate, or 'permitted'? What kind of shoes would one wear? I find this confusing, but sometimes it is only too easy to confuse me.

Allison

Guest Tammy Maher
Why, instead of female clothes, are you going for "unisex" stuff?

I'll explain in another topic... but basically I knew I was meant to be born a girl, but I am more gender fluid than MtF. So it should have been....

Sex = Female

Gender = Fluid

but it is

Sex = Male

Gender = Fluid

so in my mind HRT won't do much for me in the way of transition so I might get on it, but at a lower dosage just to start being feminine a bit, but that's jumping too far ahead.

I've never felt the clothes do or ever should to any degree define one's gender. And despite my attempt at humor above, I'd never truly judge anyone no matter the way they dressed.

I know first-hand what it's like to be judged based on the way I've dressed...and the judgement was passed down by those that are supposed to be "like me" and are some of the last I'd ever anticipate behaving in such fashion. It was quite the eye-opener, and something I'll never forget for I'm now forever on guard in the company of people like this in a similar setting.

What's most disapointing is that I anticipated it bein' one of the more (if not the most) honest and accepting engagements in fellowships in my entire life and instead was judged based on the material that covered my body, as opposed to what rolled off my tongue and the manner in which I conducted myself doing so.