• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

If I Didn't Wore Glasses I'd Look More Like A Girl

Guest chibi_usa

Guest chibi_usa

Well... my friends told me that I would look more like a girl then a boy if I just hadn't wore any glasses.... And like I cant get contacts >.> Parents think i might lose it and it costs more and I cant convince them. And then I saw something recently about Bates Method. It told me after doing a few weeks/months of eye excercises you can heal your eyes do u think that actually works? o.o Is there other ways to improve eyesight? o.o

Guest Evan_J

I don't know. I suppose if "laziness" with regard to eyes can increase eye problems , maybe excercises could help? But what about more feminine frames? Colors?

Most methods for improving eyesight other than laser surgeries (and those scare me - I know a professional photographer who had Lazik and it was a bad job and now can not see well enough to stay in the business) are pretty much a waste of time.

I went to Eyemasters and looked at all of the men's frames, then the women's and then the unisex, I ended up with frames from the Men's section but they were just like the ones in the women's just a little bigger side to side to fit my face.

It depends on how I am presenting as to whether they look masculine or feminine.

Love ya,

Sally

There hasn't been any real evidence that it works, and it isn't really the type of thing that can easily be tested. Since it hasn't been adopted more than it is is likely proof in itself that it doesn't work, at least for most eye problems.

Laser surgery is the only method I know of to improve eyesight besides luck (sometimes it'll improve on its own, but that's really rare from what I understand), but from what I understand there is still some unknown/concern over long term effects it could potentially have.

There are girls who wear glasses so that shouldn't necessarily stop you from looking feminine, but it may be your frames. Getting female or unisex frames may have a better effect, depending on what your current frames are like. Maybe take you friends or someone you can trust the opinion of with you the next time you get new glasses and try and pick out something that doesn't give you a male look.

Well... my friends told me that I would look more like a girl then a boy if I just hadn't wore any glasses.... And like I cant get contacts >.> Parents think i might lose it and it costs more and I cant convince them. And then I saw something recently about Bates Method. It told me after doing a few weeks/months of eye excercises you can heal your eyes do u think that actually works? o.o Is there other ways to improve eyesight? o.o

I don't know anything which will be better,,

but please take care for your choice,,

no need foe any risky way,,

your lovely eyes are your windows of world

so do only when you trust

or glasses is appear beautiful at all people :lol:

if they chose what is fit for them.

Good luck

love

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SaraNetherlands

Glasses can well make a face more feminine or masculin. In fact glasses are THE instrument to make your face more masculine. It's proven through psychology that using shapes and shadings around and on the face (such as hair, glasses and cosmetics) fool the mind of another to perceive a face as feminine or masculine.

It's really all about getting the proper shaped glasses. ;) Let a proper shop assistant of a proper shop help you out (going to a modern and fashionable glasses store is a must!) with picking a great pair. Wearing 'jar glasses' or those conservative big glasses would work counter-productive. It's really like wearing clothes. A transwoman who wears a nice feminine top will be a lot more passable than a transwoman who'd wear a dull grey hoodie. Or in case of hair, a transwoman with a masculine face is far more capable at passing with a full bob of hair than that she'd ever be with short spiky hair.

As a start, what shape of glasses do you wear, hon?

• 1 month later...
Guest p3ngu!n

well, i know vitamin c and thc help improve eyesight. and i know the feeling. i think my glasses are ugly. glad i have contacts though.

i would say try to find a pair of glasses that help frame your face. and try going your hair out alittle aswell. those 2 should help you alot.

Guest Andrea Lynn

I am farsighted, but I also have astigmatism and that balances it out-so I can see pretty well (well enough to read a book) without my glasses. I guess I lucked out.

I agree with everyone else, it is probably just your frames.

If you're not full time, you ought to look for some unisex frames that look good on you.

I was thinking about getting laser eye correction, but Sally's post there kinda scared me so now I am not so sure.

I guess it all depends on the statistics of the doctor's success?

My grandfather went to India, and he said he learned tricks where he sat still and they threw a ball around and he kept his eyes on the ball without moving his head. I don't really know what that does for you, though.

Good luck!

:]

Guest Robin Winter

I did want lazik, might still, but I like the idea of getting a nice feminine set of frames. I saw some fantastic ones the other day on a girl. They were like a silvery white with thick arms that had a nice black swirly design along them. They were soooo cute.

i got me some tiney glasses that don't really obsucre my face, i don't like waering glasses either, but small glasses are closest i can get to no glasses, can't afford contacts.

Guest p3ngu!n
I am farsighted, but I also have astigmatism and that balances it out-so I can see pretty well (well enough to read a book) without my glasses. I guess I lucked out.

I agree with everyone else, it is probably just your frames.

If you're not full time, you ought to look for some unisex frames that look good on you.

I was thinking about getting laser eye correction, but Sally's post there kinda scared me so now I am not so sure.

I guess it all depends on the statistics of the doctor's success?

My grandfather went to India, and he said he learned tricks where he sat still and they threw a ball around and he kept his eyes on the ball without moving his head. I don't really know what that does for you, though.

Good luck!

:]

my guess would be depth perception and eye coordination. i may think about getting lazik done since my eyes are so bad. plus, i have to wear glasses only because i've had cornea abbrasions, cuts, etc. because of weird accidents (that all mysteriously were caused by my brothers...) so it isn't like i was born with horrible eyesight,but its so expensive that i may just settle for glasses and contacts.

• 1 month later...

First of all,

Eye exercises don't work, and if you don't wear your glasses then your eyesight will just get worse.

That aside, just make your glasses work FOR YOU. I would guess that thicker frames and smaller shapes are more feminine. Even though glasses are expensive, the real cost is in the frames. I broke my glasses a couple months ago and insurance wouldn't cover it - so we found a pair of frames that were smaller than the ones before and just reshaped and put the lenses from my old glasses in. If you find a pair you like, maybe that would be a feasible option?

~Nikk

Guest julia_d

Y'know.. in our cheap knock off shops they sell very cheap reading glasses.. I'm talking about £1 - £3 a pair.. in about 200 different styles. Great way to quickly try a load of different looks without anybody thinking you are up to something.. take a decent sized mirror and a newspaper and just pretend you are checking them to see if they help you read. I ended up with a pair of small black wire framed ones as the gold was too obvious and just didn't go at all with my general slightly goth look. I guess I could put them on and take a pic, but it's late and cold upstairs.. and I really can't be bothered putting yet more lippy on (unless somebody wants to come and jump in bed that is... hehehehe.. oh Steeeeeveee.. where art thou?) this late at night. XD

Sound like a plan for finding a style? .. worked for me..

Guest Joanna Phipps

Heck with out mine I cant see anything smaller that a 20Pt font and closer than 2 feet. My glasses are mens, and in most of my pics I have them off simply because of flash glare. They havent affected my ability to pass.

Guest julia_d

spooky happening.. I called my guy in that post.. I imagined it like I was calling to him in the kitchen or similar.. and as I hit "post" he beeped me on irc.. after all day apart. 10,200 miles apart and so close we can hear each other call.