• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Gender And Sports: Article In Ny Times

Guest meridian

Guest meridian

I never read the Sports page, but this article was previewed on page one and I went right to it: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/22/sports/2...&ref=sports If for some reason the link doesn't work, it's from today's paper, August 22. I thought it had some really interesting information on how difficult it is to make a scientific determination of sex.

I'll be interested to know what other think.

Cheers,

Meridian

Guest twinstar4

Well I thought I've had to learn alot of new confusing information since entering the world of parenting a TG teen but after reading that...whoa.

It is interesting however to see how much gender varience exists.

Thanks for posting that, Meridian!

Love, Twinstar

Guest Valentine

If she has ovaries and a uterus she is a woman, if she has a penis and testicles she is a boy, no matter what other adrenal, or hormonal differences she has.

Michael Phelps hasn't been disqualified from swimming because of any of his physical differences, including being "double jointed," which he says helps his strokes.

There was a new article on this athlete in the news today:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/amateur/story/200...ya-welcome.html

the comments from readers on the cbc website are also interesting---some of them are very puzzled that there is such a thing as a "gender expert". Being the parent of a FtM, I must admit that up until about 6 weeks ago, I would not have had a clue about this. It is a shame that this athlete's privacy has been invaded---I hope that something good comes of it though--perhaps some people will become a little more educated.

Guest Isabella

You know what, I don't care if this young lady is tg or intersexed. That's none of my business. What I find troubling is that no one in the tg community seems to care about this, in fact they are making jokes about her! I guess you even have to watch your back here, & that is truely a shame!

Guest Evan_J

How pathetic that this happened. However, if there's anything to be gained by even the grossest of actions then maybe its that "what makes a person male and female" will be reexamined and the actual biological similarity discerned.