• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Gender Roles And Assumptions

Guest cjnoble71

Guest cjnoble71

I'm curious to see what similar experiences people have had here. Ever since I came out and started living as Christine all the time people have insisted that certain things I do are not girly enough. Whether they mean to or not they are implying that this is somehow proof that I am not really TG and some have actually said that this is just a phase I am going through (really? I'm pushing 40. A "phase?")

I love my football. I don't see this as in anyway not girly, and I even point out that I learned my love of football from my mother who, of course was born with the right bits. I love comic books and role playing games (not many women in that latter group.) I enjoy all film which includes action films.

I sometimes feel like I have to list all the "girly" things I do: shoe shopping, crying at chick flicks, doting on kids, etc. to prove that I am feminine, which is silly (and admittedly my hang up.) As I said, I'd love to hear from others that have had similar problems, if for no other reason than to allow them to get it out. I have to admit, it feels good just committing this to (electronic) print.

• Admin

People just want to hold you to some stereotypical image of what a woman is. That gives them an excuse

to ridicule you and say that they know better than you who you are.

Ignore those fools, Christine. You don't have to prove anything to anyone. YOU know who you are, and

that is Christine, a woman. If you are confident and show that confidence, and refuse to get defensive

and get into debates with ignorant people, then eventually they will stop doubting you.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Joanna Phipps
I'm curious to see what similar experiences people have had here. Ever since I came out and started living as Christine all the time people have insisted that certain things I do are not girly enough. Whether they mean to or not they are implying that this is somehow proof that I am not really TG and some have actually said that this is just a phase I am going through (really? I'm pushing 40. A "phase?")

I love my football. I don't see this as in anyway not girly, and I even point out that I learned my love of football from my mother who, of course was born with the right bits. I love comic books and role playing games (not many women in that latter group.) I enjoy all film which includes action films.

I sometimes feel like I have to list all the "girly" things I do: shoe shopping, crying at chick flicks, doting on kids, etc. to prove that I am feminine, which is silly (and admittedly my hang up.) As I said, I'd love to hear from others that have had similar problems, if for no other reason than to allow them to get it out. I have to admit, it feels good just committing this to (electronic) print.

When it comes down to it the only person you absolutely have to please is you. I am sure that others would have issues with some of my likes and dislikes, my favorite music types are Traditional and New Orleans Jazz, swing, and some of the stuff from around the Second War (The Andrews Sisters) I also happen to like that great female jazz vocalist, the late, Ella Fitzgerald. As far as tv goes I still like my documentaries. Maybe next time someone says that ask them to define what girly is; after all its hard to know if you fit the mould if nobody tells you what they think that mould is.

As long as you, and your therapist are happy with how things are going, and your not getting lauged at every 10 min thats all that really matters.