• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Laser Vs. Electro

Guest Kayliegh

Guest Kayliegh

Well, I’ve been going for electro for five weeks now and she suggested that I try laser to get rid of the dark hair (unfortunately I’m a little older and have a few “platinum blonds” coming in!) ;)

So, I went for consult on 10/1/09 for laser and had my first session yesterday – OUCH!

My nurse practitioner used a lower setting, but it was painful, especially around the chin and upper lip! I didn’t cry, although I was on the verge of doing so, and she gave me a script for nest time (11/13/09) so it wouldn’t be as painful.

I saw my electro today (who, by the way, is simply wonderful!) and she went after the platinum blonds that the laser didn’t touch. She’s so much more gentle than the laser folks, who are doing their job, but it certainly seemed like they were ready for the next client!

I’m about 1/3 to ½ done removing it and I have to say, while laser is quicker, electro is less painful!

I’ll post some pictures in the next day or two.

Love and Hugs! - Kayleigh

Kayleigh,

Expect to see no dramatic results till after the 4th or 5th laser session as hair grows in 3 stages and it will take that long for the dormant ones to become active again.

I am 57 and have had 9 laser sessions and the dark hairs are gone butd the white ones remained so in July i started electro and to date have had about 30 sessions 30 and 60 minute in length and my face is looking really good.

Laser and electro is an awesome combination to get the facial hair cleared, patience is the word i use as my facial hair is well under control now but it took nearly a year.

Paula

Guest AshleyRF

I only did electro as laser would have never worked on me. Electro wasn't that bad to me. In fact, I kinda liked it except for the area right under the nose (that part was no fun because I kept feeling like I had to sneeze). Longest session I ever did was 3 hours straight. I slept through most of it. :)

I think using either processes just takes the body time to adjust

to the pain of frequently repeated jolts.The biggest difference is

the electrology has a greater kill rate.Even then,it all depends on

the system used by the electrologist.

Angie

Guest NatalieRene
I was led to believe the opposite was true. :blink:

Same here, and in the right conditions laser is supposed to be faster. I'll probably end up needing to do both regardless though because I have noticed some hairs on my upper lip that have grown back but are much lighter then before.

Guest Kayliegh
Same here, and in the right conditions laser is supposed to be faster. I'll probably end up needing to do both regardless though because I have noticed some hairs on my upper lip that have grown back but are much lighter then before.

All I know is that the electro never left any bumps on my face and now, after the laser, my whole face is covered with bumps!

The worst part about it is I'm not going to be able to shave for a few days!

Kayleigh

Guest NatalieRene
All I know is that the electro never left any bumps on my face and now, after the laser, my whole face is covered with bumps!

Kayleigh

Thats odd I haven't gotten any bumps. Do you mean like welts or in grown hair bumps?

Guest Kayliegh
Thats odd I haven't gotten any bumps. Do you mean like welts or in grown hair bumps?

Hi Natalie -

I have bumps! It looks like I've got little welts (probably ingrown hairs and irritation) all over my face!

I have very sensitive skin (I’m Irish) and even when I shave everyday, my skin can get irritated.

I’ll post some pics when I have time – I’m off to see my GT now!

Hugs! - Kayleigh

Guest Kayliegh
I only did electro as laser would have never worked on me. Electro wasn't that bad to me. In fact, I kinda liked it except for the area right under the nose (that part was no fun because I kept feeling like I had to sneeze). Longest session I ever did was 3 hours straight. I slept through most of it. :)

Hi Ash -

I also felt like I had to sneeze on the upper lip - and I did cry when my electro was working there! She just wiped away the tears and kept working!

Hugs! - Kayleigh

When I was going through a session of electro,My leg would jump involuntarily.

I would laugh at this response,tell jokes and stories,all while she was working

on me face.My electrologist told me I had a high pain thresh hold,and a great

attitude,and looked forward to my clearing because I would entertain her the full time.

Angie

I've been having laser treatment for almost 2 year, every 4 weeks and I still have dark hairs on my upper lip and chin. Not much, no one notices but me apparantly. except if i tell them and they stare at it for a while ^_^'. but it still annoys me.

bad thing is: i'm blond, well dark blond, but some facial hair is really light. so even though I can't see it i can still kinda feel the hairs on my chin and upperlip being stingy or something(the cheeks are now only soft haired, so that's ok).

I really thought laser would go a bit faster, but it's getting their :--)

grtz & hugs,

Sarah x

Kayleigh

Did the person doing the laser give you ice packs to hold on your face after she was done.

I have had 9 laser session at a high setting, after she gives me ice packs to hold on my face to cool it down, when i get home i have a couple bags of frozen peas that i hold on areas that still seem warm, the next day my face is back to normal, i had bumps right after but not the next day.

Paula

Kaleigh:

I have used both laser and electrolysis. Laser will removed the dark hairs faster than doing electrolysis. I have been doing electrolysis for about a year because my hairs are light. I recently learned of a commerical grade Meladrine which suppose to color the follicle root and allow the laser to destroy the hair follicle with laser. As soon as i can get my technician to order some for me I will try it. It is suppose to be used for 6 weeks to build up the coloring of the follicle shaving as normal.

After laser use bring an ice pack to use on your way home from treatment and then use an aloe jell to help reduce the heat affect on the skin. It will reduce the effects of welts on the skin after laser. You can also use Viatique lotion as a healer and makeup foundation all in one between electrolysis treatments. I always cool my face down after a treatment on my way home using an ice pack. I go for 2 hour treatments and the tech cools my face down and gives me a short break every hour.

I recently went for SRS surgery and had to leave off my treatments which set me back a little on the hair removal, but now I am back on track and hopefully this Meladrine will help with the use of laser which removes the hair follicle from regrowth and I will get rid of the facial hair sooner. It can also be used on other parts of the body as well.

Rayne

Guest nymphblossom

rayne1 wrote:

I recently learned of a commerical grade Meladrine which suppose to color the follicle root and allow the laser to destroy the hair follicle with laser.

Thank you for posting this! I am cross posting to a thread I started on laser and gray hair:

http://www.lauras-playground.com/forums/in...ic=11554&hl=

I have also wondered if it would be possible to use Just for Men Mustache Beard Sideburn color with a few days growth prior to laser treatment?

I have been wracking my brain for ways to increase effectiveness on the gray. They told me when I started laser to shave closely before I come to help minimize the pain. I recently read that the MayoClinic says you should shave 24 hours before a treatment because laser hair removal works best if hairs are shaved short, but visible. http://www.ehow.com/way_5173430_time-shave...-treatment.html

With six treatments under my belt, I went for my last session with 24 hours growth instead of shaving extremely close just before I went. The pain was about the same with no unusual redness or swelling, but the clearing was amazing. I plan to go to my next session with two days growth!

Here is a link to more information on meladine: https://www.creativeinc.biz/mel-uses.html

Blossom

Guest nymphblossom

Creative Technologies http://creativeinc.biz/overview.html also sells: Zcaine™ is a non prescription (OTC) pain relief gel, which contains 4% Lidocaine, to help relieve pain of minor burns and skin irritations, minor cuts and scrapes and minor itching.

Zcalm™, with its proprietary blend of calming botanicals and rejuvenating ProElements™, has proven to be a unique and welcomed addition for post-laser treated skin.

Blossom

Guest Kayliegh

Thank's for all of the responses!

I was given ice packs, but the bumps, I'm assuming, were due to ingrown hairs. I've not shaved in a couple of days, and my face is on the mend.

Kayleigh