• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Things To Do And To Avoid For Mtf On Hrt

Guest Virginia_

Guest nymphblossom

I'm sure I will get a long list from my doctor, but here's what I know so far:

TO AVOID

Nicotine

Alcohol

TO DO

Regime Aspirin

Omega Three Fish Oil Tablets

Please feel free to add to the list

Blossom

Guest Robin Winter

I knew about the nicotine and the why of it(or rather I did and understood at the time, but forget now), but I didn't know about the others. Could you tell me why? Feel free to pm if you don't want to clutter up your thread, but It might be good for everyone to know who's planning for hrt.

Guest Donna Jean

TO AVOID

Nicotine

Alcohol

TO DO

Regime Aspirin

Blossom

Shi.......

Nicotine, because estrogen increases the chances for thrombosis (blood clots) and nicotine increases that risk!

Alcohol destroys Estrogen...wastes hormones.....

The Aspirin regime thins the blood to help prevent the blood clotting ...

And the fish oil...I don't know!....lol

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest nymphblossom

I'm sorry, I should have given the reasons as I understand them. And I think it would be appropriate to include them in the thread.

I have only heard about avoiding alcohol, but don't know the reason. I'm thinking it goes along with the understood, eat right, exercise take care of yourself as your body is developing and growing during its second puberty.

Regimen aspirin and Omega-Three are for us older folk. They help prevent problems with blood clotting.

Blossom

Alcohol destroys Estrogen...wastes hormones.....

Donna Jean

It's also be damaging to the liver, something that can also happen on certain HRT regimens.

You should also avoid banana's and other foods high in potassium, because some anti-androgens like spironoalctone are potassium-sparing diuretics and could cause a dangerous level of potassium in the body... Potassium; I said that way to many times.

Guest Donna Jean
Would it still be ok to have a glass of wine for dinner on occasion if you are on hrt?

That's a hard call.....

What is "Too much" what is "Just right"?

How long is a piece of string?

HUGGS

Donna Jean

• Admin
How long is a piece of string?

Donna Jean

Oh, yeah. String Theory. I've heard of that!

I'll ask Astro Liz and get right back to ya!

Carolyn Marie

• 2 weeks later...

TO AVOID

Nicotine

Alcohol

TO DO

Regime Aspirin

Blossom

Hiya Blossom,

Ever tried tins of sardines in tomato sauce???? pound for pound one of the most nutritious foodstuffs in the oceans.

Now our little friends /the sardines are not the most "fashionable" foods on the planet but if you can stomach 2or3 tins a week you

are getting all the omega 3 you need. Spinach , good stuff re bone density. You know those bags of mixed nuts you can get at the

shopping malls ??fab food !!!. Pears are a natural detox / one a day and you can forget the expensive route, Beans ....unsociable yes

but your innards will thank you !!, Re alcohol....personally I am teatotal but a glass or two of red wine a day is good for your blood.

PS....if nature intended us folk to smoke evolution/God would have equipped us with chimney stacks :D , Live long and prosper,

Viv.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Joanna Phipps
I knew about the nicotine and the why of it(or rather I did and understood at the time, but forget now), but I didn't know about the others. Could you tell me why? Feel free to pm if you don't want to clutter up your thread, but It might be good for everyone to know who's planning for hrt.

nicotine tends to be a vasoconstrictor, that means it shrinks your blood vessels.

Guest Joanna Phipps
Anyone can list dowe some of the common food that's pack high with pottassium that spiro users should avoid??

actually if you keep hydrated there is little need to worry. I have looked at the amount of potasium it would take to just make the daily allowance and with the std diet its nearly impossible to get there. I have been on it for 3 months as of the 12 and have not taken any special precautions. I drink between 60 and 80 oz of water daily (which does have its drawbacks on spiro) but I am sure keeps the postasium problem in check.

Guest AshleeB

Oh this is good to know ^_^

I dont drink or smoke... but i know im gonna be on hormones about a week before my birthday when i turn 18 (legal drinking age in aus)

So now i know not to be silly and drink haha (not that i would anyway... i dont like alky-hol XD)

So... is Asprin perscription only or is it an over the counter sorta thing?

Lots of love

Ash

Guest S. Chrissie
actually if you keep hydrated there is little need to worry. I have looked at the amount of potasium it would take to just make the daily allowance and with the std diet its nearly impossible to get there. I have been on it for 3 months as of the 12 and have not taken any special precautions. I drink between 60 and 80 oz of water daily (which does have its drawbacks on spiro) but I am sure keeps the postasium problem in check.

That's good to know. :)

• 2 years later...
Guest kariann330

There are actually a lot of foods that suprisingly contain over a 600 rating of potasium levels, which is high, and surprisingly some of those are some citrus fruits and even avocado...so if your really worried about it avoid guacamole lol. I forget where I saw it but there are also web sites that have a list of foods that have potassium in them that you wouldn't know about and how much they have in them, and with alcohol, my doctor said as long as it isn't excessive, such as fall down drunk every day, you should be ok. I asked because I love an occasional beer with steaks or a couple glasses of moscatto after a long and rough pay period. But as most people have said already and others will say following me, if your really worried ask your doctor, it's what they get paid to do...I hope i didn't beat on an already dead horse, cuz its still more fun to poke them with a big ole stick lol.

Kari Ann.

Guest KarenLyn

As long as you're reasonably healthy to start with, there are really no dietary restrictions. Over-doing anything is what can be bad for you. For anyone who really wants to control a particular part of their diet, it's easy to find lists of foods with their values for potassium, phosphorus, sodium, etc. The one we use most at work comes from the Northwest Kidney Centers. Renal patients don't process a lot of different mineral well.

Anyway, the list work well for anyone trying to keep track of what's in their diet.

Karen

• Forum Moderator

I understand that one should avoid grapefruit while on Estradiol (or whatever flavor of Estrogen you're indulging in). It's been a while since I heard that info but it was something about blocking estrogen or the estrogen bonding to the grapefruit.

Guest Melissa~

Awesome and timely on the grapefruit. I love grapefruit and eat many while they are in season, looks like I'll have to cut way back...

http://www.webmd.com...Name=GRAPEFRUIT

To sum up the webmd abstract, grapefruit causes higher levels of serum estrogen(they do not break down what type.) They think it's linked to estrogen complications( like even more cancer risk, eww.) Causing higher serum levels sounds like it's blocking receptors, not binding and flushing estrogen out, regardless, I'm sure there are more details out there.