• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Boys Don't Cry

Guest Adrian

Guest PoorTom

I found it very difficult to watch. I saw it once with my mum a few years before coming out, and again after coming out. It left me depressed for quite a long period of time after watching it, both times.

However, I feel that it is a tremendously important film for FtMs to watch, because it is the most prominent bit of media out there featuring us, so it's where people are get their knowledge of FtMs. It's important to know what it is the mass population has been exposed to, and whether any of it is false information. It's also good to realize just how bloody dangerous it can be to be trans. Because I've never been hassled I tend to forget, and being naive about the risks you face makes you all the more likely to fall in harm's way.

Guest BrandonIThink

I feel the same way. I've been meaning to see this movie for a long time, but I keep just not doing it. It's just really scary being faced with what people are capable of when they can't understand someone else's situation.... kind of incomprehensible, really. One of these days I'm just going to sit down and hit play, though. Even watching the Youtube trailers made me sob, so I kinda doubt I'd make it through to the end.

Guest Janessa

I haven't seen this yet and I don't know if I'm going too. I read the story online and it made me cry so many times throughout the story. >.< (I know what happens, so not sure I want to see it) =\

Guest Quinn

I watched this movie like...two years ago maybe, after coming out as trans and beginning my "mental transitioning" as I wanna call it. I watched it along. It is extremely intense. Very bold to have made a movie out of these events, too, but it truly is disturbing on many levels - don't fool yourself into thinking it isn't. It really is. It's very emotional, and it strikes a deep, deep chord.

My mom said she wanted to watch it with me a couple months back, but I sort of snuffed out the idea. She already has enough excuses of not wanting me to change my body in any way, and honestly watching the movie I think would just refresh in her mind all of the "No, you can't do this, everyone's gonna kill you!" thoughts she has lurking, and that'll squash progress she's tentatively made. Plus I don't really want to watch it again. Very well done, very well acted, but very disturbing and intense. Too much.

I think that it would be way too intense for me to watch and surely not alone - I would never make it.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Elizabeth K

I wasn't secure in my transsexuality at the time it came out. I watched and it scared the peewaddly outa me. I transposed what happen to the character over to what could happen to me.

BUT

This movie is one of the factors than convinced me to get my SRS completed. I want the safety of looking sexually as what I really am.

Lizzy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Matthias_Bane

I watched the movie, but fear wasn't what got me. It broke my heart, honestly. I mean, yes, I understand that it could /easily/ happen to any one of us, even me down here in Texas as I am, but more than that, it was that those people who were portraying the town's inhabitants were very accurate. The feelings expressed by them were very realistic. It just hurts some part of me to know that we as humans don't have more compassion for each other and turn our backs at each small difference between us.

Although I had seen the trailer and heard mostly good things, I only decided to watch Boys Don't Cry after seeing it discussed (briefly) on The Office.

By the time I was done I wish I hadn't though, although I was glad that I did. I guess that's somewhat paradoxical, but that's sort of how I felt about this movie. Personally I don't think it was that good, but it was also fantastic. Maybe because it hit so close to the bone; especially knowing that it was based off of real events.

Guest Micky
I have watched that movie once and never will again!

My professor made us watch Boy's Don't Cry for my Introductory English and Writing Course my freshman year of college. There was this one guy in my class who was a total jock soccer player and I will never forget what he said to the professor when we were discussing it: "I never want to see that movie again!" It was very powerful. I own the dvd and the special that was on tv. I could only watch about half the movie before I have to turn it off. Very few movies give me that reaction. I can never look at Hilary Swank the same way again. Everytime I see her I think of Boy's Don't Cry. Then I want to cry!