• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Money

Guest Cj Marie

Guest Cj Marie

All of us, is interconnected with so many others. Why is there not some sort of ideas on how to pay for SRS? We that are going through the process, those that are succeful reach out with ideas to help

I lost my job about three months ago, no insurance... my hrt is about $800 a month with no insurance... did anyone volenteer that the perscription companies will give them away for free? They will! Although i have not found out as i am still processing the paperwork, the companies i have talked to said they will.. and what about the SRS, is there anyone out there who have ideas on that?

Guest Donna Jean

Welcome to the Playground, Honey....

I'm Donna Jean and I hope you find some help or resoulition here...and with your experience maybe you can help others, too..

HRT...$800 an month seems awful high...mine is about 50-75 dollars without insurance..

And if you know of companies that will give HRT for free..well, we'll be happy to share. As far as SRS..I've not heard of anyone getting it gratis...maybe someone can expand on that, too...

I'ts nice to have you here and thaks for contributing!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Guest ~Brenda~

Hey Marie,

Looks like DJ addressed your HRT costs. I have heard that Cuba offers free SRS. I don't know how realistic that is for your situation.

Indeed, the high cost of transitioning can be prohibitive.

Brenda

• Admin

Good morning and welcome to Laura's. Can I call you Marie (that's my middle name!)?

You've asked some good questions. From what I;ve heard from others here, $800/month does sound

like a lot for hormones, but I'll let the more experiences folks address that.

You'll find that the members here are friendly and supportive and non-judgmental, so I think you will

like it. if you haven't already, please look around the forums and post any questions or comments that

you want. We have great chat rooms as well. We are a moderated site, so we keep it PG-13 for the sake

of our younger members.

Make yourself at home, Marie, because you are!

Carolyn Marie

Well, it is of course dependent on what you are taking for your HRT but mine runs $36.00 a month - I get them at Wal-Mart on the $4 a month plan and the difference is the amount prescribed being much higher than for their accepted uses.

There are GLBT clinics in most large Metropolitan areas, I do not know where you live and you don't want to post that here but Laura's Main Page has a great resource section.

I had my blood work done for $80 and the Doctor visits are free so that cuts down the costs a lot.

As to the SRS - there will probably never be any charitable SRS performances in the US for my life-time, it is the insurance and the hospital charges that really run up the costs - the surgeons themselves do not really get that much when you see the breakdown and that would be all that they could offer - everyone else has their hand out.

Never forget that an Aspirin in most hospitals runs over $4.

I hope you live near a Wal-Mart and that your prescriptions are the same as mine ans are on the list.

Love ya,

Sally

I would just like to ask why your HRT is so high.

That seems like a very high price to have to pay for

something so essential to a transsexuals wellbeing.jw

Angie

Thank GOD I'm an Aussie. HRT = 2 X $6 a month.... PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme)A Visit to an Endo.... you flash the Medicare + Health Care Card.... Government Pays.... Same with Pathology (Blood work). Believe it or not.... My Shrink paid for my Orchie out of a Government grant she gets to operate the clinic ( Actual cost = $3200)....Let's hope for all your sakes Obama is REAL and introduces a System in the states similar to ours...

I have heard GRS in Canada and the UK is free.... IF you live that long on the waiting list...

All of us, is interconnected with so many others. Why is there not some sort of ideas on how to pay for SRS? We that are going through the process, those that are succeful reach out with ideas to help

I lost my job about three months ago, no insurance... my hrt is about $800 a month with no insurance... did anyone volenteer that the perscription companies will give them away for free? They will! Although i have not found out as i am still processing the paperwork, the companies i have talked to said they will.. and what about the SRS, is there anyone out there who have ideas on that?

Gee Cj, that sounds very expensive re your hrt , and loosing your job as well . Doing what we got to do can really be an uphill struggle

sometimes. I hope things improve for you hun. I know this has no bearing on your situation but in my country, Ireland, final surgery is

paid for by the State once the Docs who have been looking after you "sign you off" . The rest of the treatment/ hrt etc is self paid

although I applied for what we call a drugs payment scheme card ...meaning I pay no more than 100 euro per month re hormones/

anti androgen injection (the anti androgen we use in Ireland /Europe is 500 Euros a pop if ya aint got the card!!!!) We in Ireland

more or less mimicked the UK Social Welfare System a long time ago and lately ,i believe improved on same. As I said earlier, no

real relevance in the USA , I just thought Id put you folks in the picture re treatment in my place. Just a thought Cj, why not mosey

over here - get job for a while , get yourself on our trans program , get transitioned. USA business has given plenty of jobs to Irish

folk over here for long enough , why not do as I suggest - just off the top of my head with that idea ....but why not ????

REGARDS, VIV.