• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Mens Stuff

Guest viv

Hi All,

Something on my mind for the last few weeks. I know of a trans woman who is casting off all her old hobbies

cos she recons its" not womanly ". Collecting Auto stuff like model cars and related stuff. Also , violent movies

which some may consider "men flics" , giving up watching certain sports like soccer. Does anyone think this is going

too far , she has suggested to me in an offhanded way I should follow suit,,,,,,,dunno :mellow: , I like to watch

soccer and the moto gp ( ex biker) is something I look forward to. Any ideas anyone ???. viv.

Guest Donna Jean

Yes, I do.......

I feel that if your intrests change...well, so be it!

But to just trade in the things that you like to fit a sterotype is not cool, in my book!

I have a motorcycle....like it...

I like aviation...I've flown thousands of hours...LOVE IT!

On my profile page I say "Even girls can be great pilots..."

No, I feel she is wrong, why give up your passions, for knitting if you don't like knitting?

That's a wrong thought process.....

By that logic, I need to get divorced from my wife of 30 years because women aren't married to women....

Yeah, some girls leave behind some of the old things and maybe it was only there to reinforce the "male " sterotype in the first place...

But I don't feel that any of us gender gifted folks should base our hobbies, etc... on a sterotype!

My opinion...ok, Sweetie?

LOVE

Donna Jean

I couldn't agree with Donna Jean more.

Think about it, why are you transitioning to become a stereotype or to become yourself and shed that stereotype that you have been living?

Lose anything that you didn't like and just did to seem male and hold on to those that you enjoyed.

I love football and basketball and I still watch a lot of girls I know love sports - besides, I live in Texas - gotten a good look at Tony Romo? :wub:

Be yourself, if you love soccer and moto gp - then you go girl!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest ~Brenda~

Viv hon,

There is no compelling reason why you need to change doing the things you have always liked to do. Your friend is obviously throwing away everything that is a reminder of what she does not identify with anymore. Well, if that is good for her, more power to her. What is right for her is not necessarily right for you. Everyone is different. I know some biological women who love to watch football games. Does that make them any less of being a woman? Heck no.

Many activities such as racing sports cars, motorcycle riding, watching sporting events, etc. are stereotypically associated with "male" activities, but they are not strictly gender specific activities. Many women enjoy doing those very same things.

Just be yourself, and enjoy what makes you happy :)

Love

Brenda

I agree with pretty much everything that has been said.

If you love certain things, you don't need to change them just because you're turning into a woman...or a man. I mean luckily for me, all the stuff I love is guy stuff. But my favorite movie as a kid was Little Mermaid...and I'm not going to lie that it was different...cause it was a great story, about a kid wanting to be something else...so I love that story.

But personally, girls that love stuff that I'm into is always a plus. I think we need to break gender roles anyway.

Do what you love...and love what you do.

They're right. I enjoy things like paintball, video games, computers, and target archery, and yet i like pink, makeup, cute clothes, and other girly things. While I haven't and probably won't start hormones for a while I have no intention of giving up things I like to do just to fit into a stereotype. I would rather be a tomboy who likes girly things and does the things she loves, than give those things up to be a prissy stereotype that thinks all things boy are wrong. Be the woman you want to be.

Guest MrAwesome

A lot of Ciswomen like Sports, watch soccer, moto gp. You can TAKE INTEREST in Female hobbies if you want, it could always be useful if you find something you like, maybe you can make some new Female friends. :) Get out there more and have fun... but don't give up hobbies you already enjoy.

It's taking it way too far.

When I see or hear of this type of action it looks far too much like a fabrication to me. It's self-defeating behavior.

There's no point in it as one's hobby's hardly makes one less a boy or girl.

I think people that take on this approach are trying way too hard to say something and it's far from necessary.

Or maybe they're tryin' to say something to themselves, in which case extended therapy sessions may be in order?

Guest DeniseNM

Viv I agree with what everyone else has said and there is no reason for you to give up things that you really like. There are some things I don't do that are "typical" women things because I don't like them and there are "typical" guy things that I still like ... so your friend may decide to get rid of everything that reminds her of when she was not her true self but that doesn't mean that you have to get rid of everything too. Just my opinion.

Denise

Guest Jean Davis

Hi Viv

No No No if you like a hobby or occupation that is of the other gender you should keep it. That is probably the only benifit of being Trans, the fact that some of us felt the need to do those things gave us the experiences of those events. It would be a shame to give up those interests if we like them. Personaly I want to be the hot looking woman that scoots herself out from under a beautiful classic car with a wrench in one hand and a smudge of grease on my cheek. :D That would make my day. :lol:

LUV

Jean

Guest qRachelp
Hi All,

Something on my mind for the last few weeks. I know of a trans woman who is casting off all her old hobbies

cos she recons its" not womanly ". Collecting Auto stuff like model cars and related stuff. Also , violent movies

which some may consider "men flics" , giving up watching certain sports like soccer. Does anyone think this is going

too far , she has suggested to me in an offhanded way I should follow suit,,,,,,,dunno :mellow: , I like to watch

soccer and the moto gp ( ex biker) is something I look forward to. Any ideas anyone ???. viv.

Viv, to you, this is "your world", so you live in it as you see fit. There was a time in my life when, though I wanted desperately to be a girl, I also dated girls. And the ones that I always liked were the ones who did whatever THEY wanted to do, and didn't "conform to the norm".

If this other girl's friendship is worth it to you, you can join her in her world when you wish. And by the same token, you can also go back into yours as you wish. Perhaps she might even follow you at times... if she's your friend. :)

XX,

Rachel

Viv,

My best friend is still a huge Formula1 fan.

I found my intense interest in sport had about gone away.

That is until I got cable again for the first time in five years.

I found I still like some sports,just not quite like how I used to.

Like what you want sweety,just don't change for another person.

I know once upon a time my ex told me that if I don't like soaps,

I am not a real woman.Well I still don't like soaps and I am all woman.

Hugs Viv,

Angie

Guest Donna Jean

Well...well...well....

It looks as though we have a general consensus here!

It boils down to ...enjoy what you enjoy!

Don't bend to a stereotype ....

And always remember....In Transgenderism, there are no panty checks..

You don't have to fit a mold...I really like all of the answers here...A lot of real individuals!

Wonderful!

Never let anyone tell you what you have to like or dislike to be a man or woman!

Love...

Donna Jean

Hi Girlfriend,

I have some ideas! Be your sweet loving self. Do what you enjoy and do it because you enjoy it. That's why it's called a "hobby". :D

Hobbies make you feel good and if you feel good, you're happy.

So, please yourself. Heaven knows, you're not a girl due to intense public pressure now, are you? :lol:

Love 'ya, Sis

Yvonne

Guest ChloëC

I've met some young women (20's at least) that still play ice hockey. I've met guys that sew/needlepoint. We all know cooking for example is really a non-sexual hobby. And we're seeing more and more activities become that. I think one of the added benefits of realizing and accepting our transgendered nature is that it can allow us to more openly explore activities that in the past we may have tried to exclude for fear of being 'outed'.

It's a shame life is like this. Anyone should be able to enjoy whatever he or she likes to do (if it doesn't harm or hinder another). We are all ourselves before, during, and after whatever we choose to make of our lives. And our pastimes should be just as open.

Hugs,

Chloë

Guest Emily H

there are LOTS of different girls out there the same way there are lots of different boys out there, with a multitude of hobbies and behaviors for all.

If you like it, don't give it up.

~Andrea

My interests have change a little since i transitioned, i never missed a nascar race or football game on tv and now if i miss a race or game it does not bother me.

I absolutely refuse to give up my beloved bowling just cause i am transitioning, which required everyone in both bowling leagues that knew him to be told.

Paula