• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How Can I Get Hired As A Female When I'm Pre-op

Guest Sherry7620

Guest ~Brenda~

Well, I would ask first, how long have you been living full-time?

It is unrealistic to assume that one can get a job as "female" without going through the entire process of working with a GT, undergoing HRT, and getting one's gender marker's changed to female. To attempt this before working with a therapist and the prescribed process by the wpath SOC is setting yourself up for disaster.

Don't jump the gun. Work the Standards of Care and do things right and in the right order. Don't get a job as female if your birth certificate and driver's license still say "male". Not wise.

Be smart. Transition right.

Brenda

Guest Donna Jean

WOW!

Good question!

Well, I guess that if you never had to show an I.D. it would be simple...Just work as female...I would!

But, If you have to show I.D things would be way different..

Social Security, Drivers license, paperwork...you'll probably have to show it ...one way or another..

I fear that you'll need the correct paperwork...

Sux...I know...

LOVE

Donna Jean

It's such a competitive world in the workplace and now companies have the luxury of hiring based on 'looks'. Even though it's illegal they can and still do manipulate the situation. I'm unskilled and unemployed eek! Fun times ahead.

Guest Sherry7620

It is unrealistic to assume that one can get a job as "female" without going through the entire process of working with a GT, undergoing HRT, and getting one's gender marker's changed to female. To attempt this before working with a therapist and the prescribed process by the wpath SOC is setting yourself up for disaster.

Don't jump the gun. Work the Standards of Care and do things right and in the right order. Don't get a job as female if your birth certificate and driver's license still say "male". Not wise.

Brenda

I am way past there.

Guest Sherry7620
WOW!

Good question!

Well, I guess that if you never had to show an I.D. it would be simple...Just work as female...I would!

But, If you have to show I.D things would be way different..

Social Security, Drivers license, paperwork...you'll probably have to show it ...one way or another..

I fear that you'll need the correct paperwork...

Sux...I know...

LOVE

Donna Jean

Background check=everything shows up.

Guest ~Brenda~

Well if you are that far along, I am wondering why your markers are not changed. Additionally, getting a job has nothing to do with gender anyway. It has everything with job skills and marketability.

Try not thinking of getting a job as a female, but getting a job as yourself.

Brenda

Guest Sherry7620
Well if you are that far along, I am wondering why your markers are not changed. Additionally, getting a job has nothing to do with gender anyway. It has everything with job skills and marketability.

Try not thinking of getting a job as a female, but getting a job as yourself.

Brenda

I am pre-op which means any background check will come up as male. I cannot legally change my gender markers pre-op. Also, I must list all past names(which will show up on a background check) for the neccessity of verification of past employment.

• Admin

The same thing would happen post op, Sherry. Companies would still do background checks and find your prior male names.

I think the issue is the type of companies you're applying with. National or regional companies usually have more forward thinking employment

practices and clearly defined and lawful non-discrimination policies. They may be a better bet than smaller local companies.

There are a great many pre-op transwomen in successful careers, many on this site. If they can do it, so can you.

I wish you luck in your search.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Camicochan

She brings up a good point. While here in NY and as far as I know in many States you can change your driver's license marker with a letter, social security and birth certificate require surgery. Anytime you apply for a job you must have your social security number, so... yes I can see a problem.

However, I know trans people that hold jobs just fine. It would depend on the employer of course, but if for all intents and purposes you appear unambiguously as one gender and you can do the job, there may not be as much discrimination as one might think. Now I live in NYC so my experiences could be different.

Guest Sherry7620
The same thing would happen post op, Sherry. Companies would still do background checks and find your prior male names.

I think the issue is the type of companies you're applying with. National or regional companies usually have more forward thinking employment

practices and clearly defined and lawful non-discrimination policies. They may be a better bet than smaller local companies.

There are a great many pre-op transwomen in successful careers, many on this site. If they can do it, so can you.

I wish you luck in your search.

Carolyn Marie

Ty, but it is an issue of living &, or most of legally working as a female. I understand even after srs, my background will be available, but then I would legally be female, hence I would be left with discimanation issues rather than logistical issues. I understand srs doesn't solve all our issues, but it does put many of the legal issues to rest. ie;if I mark F on an app, it will be revealed as a lie in a background check. If I leave it blank on an app, M rears it's ugly no matter what.

Guest Sherry7620
She brings up a good point. While here in NY and as far as I know in many States you can change your driver's license marker with a letter, social security and birth certificate require surgery. Anytime you apply for a job you must have your social security number, so... yes I can see a problem.

However, I know trans people that hold jobs just fine. It would depend on the employer of course, but if for all intents and purposes you appear unambiguously as one gender and you can do the job, there may not be as much discrimination as one might think. Now I live in NYC so my experiences could be different.

Dear girl, that is the most hopeful answer I have heard to this question. BRAVO! To you, you give me hope, & I thank you!

Guest ~Brenda~
I am pre-op which means any background check will come up as male. I cannot legally change my gender markers pre-op. Also, I must list all past names(which will show up on a background check) for the neccessity of verification of past employment.

So what is your point? I scarcely pass as male myself, but I still get employment (even those with security classification).

You may pass as female, but if your markers are male and the jobs you are looking for requires a background check then you have to do what you have to do. Also, I am not exaclty sure that SRS is pre-requisite for gender marker change. There may be some leway here.

Anyway, this still comes back to my original question. With this many years experience with HRT, and working with a therapist, why is this your question now in your life. What happened to the job you had. How long have you been unemployed? Are you currently unemployed?

I don't really understand what you are getting at. Why is this now a dilemma for you?

Brenda

Guest Sherry7620
So what is your point? I scarcely pass as male myself, but I still get employment (even those with security classification).

You may pass as female, but if your markers are male and the jobs you are looking for requires a background check then you have to do what you have to do. Also, I am not exaclty sure that SRS is pre-requisite for gender marker change. There may be some leway here.

Anyway, this still comes back to my original question. With this many years experience with HRT, and working with a therapist, why is this your question now in your life. What happened to the job you had. How long have you been unemployed? Are you currently unemployed?

I don't really understand what you are getting at. Why is this now a dilemma for you?

Brenda

Hrt & RLt has never been an issue outside of work, however I have gotten into much trouble trying to go fulltime at work. THere's the whole bathroom/dressingroom thing after the little things. I understand that I cannot hide my past post-op, but again I would be legally female & that would settle much in & of itself. I know how ridiculous this is, but it is the real world that I will live or die in.

Guest ~Brenda~
Hrt & RLt has never been an issue outside of work, however I have gotten into much trouble trying to go fulltime at work. THere's the whole bathroom/dressingroom thing after the little things. I understand that I cannot hide my past post-op, but again I would be legally female & that would settle much in & of itself. I know how ridiculous this is, but it is the real world that I will live or die in.

Have you spoken to the HR department of your company? In most places there is a unisex bathroom that is not advertised. I still am puzzled as to why this is an issue for you now. 8 years HRT, you and your therapist should have seen this coming.

Brenda

Guest Sherry7620
Have you spoken to the HR department of your company? In most places there is a unisex bathroom that is not advertised. I still am puzzled as to why this is an issue for you now. 8 years HRT, you and your therapist should have seen this coming.

Brenda

I am no longer employed, & yes I have tried working things out with hr. They were quite clear in saying that I could not work as a female, until I was legally female. I cannot begin to try & explain their logic, but they follow the letter of the law. Worst off, I suspect that I am not alone, answers?

Guest Sherry7620

Brenda

Yes dear girl, ty. I should have mentioned in no uncertain terms that I deemed a therepest uneccissarry from the start, as there was never doubt, but a great many of logistical issues that no doubt a therapest could make me feel better about, but would not solve this nasty bit of reallity.

Guest AshleyRF

Brenda

It can be done. I'm living proof. You just have to find an open minded employer and just be honest with them up front about what you are going through. My boss knows about me at work but he is the only one. To everyone else I'm just Ashley, ordinary everyday woman..............

Guest Charlene_Leona
Yes dear girl, ty. I should have mentioned in no uncertain terms that I deemed a therepest uneccissarry from the start, as there was never doubt, but a great many of logistical issues that no doubt a therapest could make me feel better about, but would not solve this nasty bit of reallity.

Sherry this is your whole problem with the proper documentation from a qualified Gender therapist you would of been able to of had been working as a woman full time. Also how do you expect to get your srs completed without a therapist letter? Do you have a letter from a psychiatrist yet? Then without a therapist how did you get approved to get your HRT started or are you self prescribing? But a therapist would of given your you carry letter which would of given you a legal right to work as a female. A therapist would of solved all or those nasty bit's of reality. Without these people on your side you will never fully get to where you want to go.

Charlene Leona

Guest ~Brenda~
It can be done. I'm living proof. You just have to find an open minded employer and just be honest with them up front about what you are going through. My boss knows about me at work but he is the only one. To everyone else I'm just Ashley, ordinary everyday woman..............

Where I work, they are also transgender friendly. The company even has it written down on paper about their transgender policy. Most large companies have policies that protect and support transgendered people. I know very well that transitioning at work is possible.

The issue here, as I see it, is to find a job as one gender, but not have all of the paperwork to support that identity.

In retrospect, I think that the right answer here is that when gender identity, appearance and history conflicts with gender makers when one is finding a job then the only realistic course of action is to be clear about one's transitioning.

Having seen fully transitioned people at work knowing that they transitioned where I work. it seems that one who apply's for employment where I work, and are transitioning, then they should make tha clear up front. I cannot speak for all companies, but mine would be supportive.

Brenda

Guest Sherry7620
Sherry this is your whole problem with the proper documentation from a qualified Gender therapist you would of been able to of had been working as a woman full time. Also how do you expect to get your srs completed without a therapist letter? Do you have a letter from a psychiatrist yet? Then without a therapist how did you get approved to get your HRT started or are you self prescribing? But a therapist would of given your you carry letter which would of given you a legal right to work as a female. A therapist would of solved all or those nasty bit's of reality. Without these people on your side you will never fully get to where you want to go.

Charlene Leona

girl, ty, but documentation is not an issue, as I have all such as an MD, Phych, & Therapest. All going back 8yrs, please, I ask you nice, do not suggest therapest.

Guest NatalieRene

Iwork for a university that a clearly written policy that protects people with gid both during the hiring process and while employed by the university. I have heard that there are more then a few people working or the university that are fully transitioned and several not counting me that are at various points along the way. I haven't asked who because I want to respect their privacy and in the future hope that mine will be respected in kind. I'm just happy to know that in the future I can come out to my employer without fear of being fired.

Guest Sherry7620

Charlene Leona

Miss Leona, I thank you, I have everythig you mentiond except srs. Srs is a $ issue. No more, no less. I just need a job.