• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

They're Confusing Me!

Guest AlexanderG

Guest AlexanderG

Other transsexuals, that is, on the other forum.

Over here there's two ways of going about getting hormones et cetera.

1) the 'official' way; there's two hospitals that have gender departments. You can only follow their trajectory if you start there too; you can only have HRT and operations via them if you've been diagnosed by them.

They've awfully long waiting lists (several months to intake, than 8 months to 'real' convo no.1., then 8-12 months of diagnostics, then you can get HRT, then 1.5 years until you can have an operation. So that's... 3.5-4 years to a first op).

A lot of the people on the forum are rather negative about this institution and go via other ways, and more or less recommend these other ways.

2) there are a handful of independent psychologists who diagnose & prescribe HRT. If you go via them it may very well be quicker (one of them, the most well-known one, has an intiial waiting-list of about 3 months, but the diagnostic phase can be much shorter). But you have to go abroad for surgery (not across the world, but still).

AGH!

On the one hand I do believe it's good to be... careful. Not let people rush into things. Give time to adjust emotionally, mentally, double check on other psychiatric disorders, et cetera.

On the other hand: 2 years to HRT? NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *voice whispers: it could be just one if you go it the other way...*

*sighs*

My poor GT's gonna have a ball Tuesday...

Guest ~Brenda~

Hi Alex :)

I know that you asked people to ingnore this thread, but I am such a busybody that I can't help myself :) Paula Ult has a couple of threads about "baby steps" with regards to transitioning. I apologize that I don't have the links readily available, but I think they are in the MTF forum. The lessons learned that she describes there is very applicable to all who are transitioning or thinking of transitioning. I recommend that you read Paula's threads because they are very informative for everyone. I am sure that those threads will give you new insight as to what to expect and when.

Come to think of it, I think that Paula's threads on "baby steps" be pinned.

Love always,

Brenda